Switching from BB Tour to EVO

Josh K

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Switching from BB Tour to EVO. Tips?

I am switching from the Tour to Android. Can anyone tell me what are the major (or minor) things I will have to adjust to? Just an example of one thing that I am concerned about is the lack (from my understanding) of an inbox that aggregates all messages including email, SMS, IMs, notifications etc. Is that a big deal? Is there an app for that?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

ERDude

Oct 21, 2009
www.droidtalk.net
Is there an app for that? Yes, technically no.

While there's no individual app that aggregates all messages you do have the notification bar, which you pull down to find all incoming alerts. Tap the alert and it takes you to the message, tweet, voicemail, etc.

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
First off Congrads on the switch once you make it...

And like others have said... the Notification pull down is a very powerful tool...
you get a message pull down tap boom your there...

I hate my BB sooooooo much its slow clunky and only just learned threaded SMS

Im on Tmo and i have the 8520 no future Software updates are planned or scheduled for this phone... OS 6.0 was just shown off and im still on 4.6? Tmobile is seriously off the game with Software updates... I am personally on OS 5.0.0.509 for the 8520 over seas...

Cant wait to get my Evo and do away with this POS asap!

The Adjustment is easier to Droid than it is to BB... You'll be fine...

nefarious_P

May 10, 2010
Visit site
The fact that BB just got threaded sms absolutely kills me. I bought my tour thinking it was a great phone but with no wifi and that miserable trackball.

The tour is one of the worst phones I've ever owned. My BB 8830 with no camera was better than the Tour.

I give up on blackberry. They aren't innovative enough and only do email well. The Bold 9650 is coming out soon and its basically the Tour with a optical track pad and wifi. Thanks Blackberry for thinking I'm enough of an idiot to buy that phone from you guys. Yea right.

Can't wait for the EVO...

letsgoflyers81

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I have a Blackberry Bold 9700 for work and I think it's terrific... for being a phone and e-mail/messaging device. It doesn't do much, but what it does do, it does well. It's really hard to compare a Blackberry to a proper smartphone like the latest generation of Android because they're just so different. The EVO is a multimedia device with a huge high res screen and tons of eye candy. There will definitely be a learning curve coming from a Blackberry but I'd be amazed if you aren't happy with the switch. In all honesty your biggest issue at first will probably be the lack of a physical keyboard, but in time you'll get the hang of it.

MsRandall

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
I am also coming from the BB Tour and even if my 5th one works great I am truly bored with it. Got it on the first day it was released so I am excited about learning some thing new.

RedWings

May 9, 2010
Visit site
I too currently have a Blackberry Tour and i'm looking forward to something new. The BB is great for a email/messaging/business phone....but i'm a gadget geek and need something more geared toward multimedia and good apps.

The only thing I am concerned about is the transition from the physical keyboard to a touchscreen.

eric.atx

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
I am currently on a blackberry curve 8330 and I am going to the Evo when it comes out. I don't use mine for my work so it is almost pointless to me. I can upgrade on June 1st and I already have my payment ready to go to get this phone. I don't know that I have been this anxious for anything since I lost my virginity and that sounds kind of sad to me too by the way.

...lol...

letsgoflyers81

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Who even cares about the lack of the physical keyboard when you have one that is so large?

Trust me, it's different. You might have a huge screen, but there's no tactile feedback of pressing the exact key you want, and there's a lack of a certain level of precision. I'm not saying you can't be proficient at typing with an on screen keyboard, but it's still not the same.

My company recently started allowing iPhones in the environment so I spend quite a bit of my time working on them for our users. I was TERRIBLE with it at first and now I'm pretty good, but nowhere near as fast or accurate as I am with my Blackberry (work) or Touch Pro 2 (personal). Since I bought a Treo 300 in 2003 I haven't owned a phone without a physical keyboard and the lack of one with the EVO was the only thing that gave me concern about it. But I don't really type a lot of long e-mails on it like I do with my Blackberry at work, so I got over the apprehension. That said, if you're used to a Blackberry or some other device with a physical QWERTY keyboard, the EVO or any other keyboardless device will take some getting used to.

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently a Treo user and will be getting an EVO. Yesterday, I went to Best Buy to try out the Incredible. The on screen keyboard will work fine for me, but what I really liked was the voice recognition. Press the microphone icon, and it prints what you say. Now this will not work when you are in an environment where you will disturb others, but I found using this method to be faster than typing. I will be utilizing this feature a lot. It was very accurate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678