Nexus S vs Evo 4G

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Okay, lets try this again, since my last two replies got screwed up.

Yeah, I gave up on pop music and radio in my mid teen years. It wasn't so much the music they were playing as the fact they kept playing the same music over and over again. It gets to the point that you know what song is coming next. I keep up with the newer music I like, and just use my ipod. I'd rather be able to pick it myself and hear more than the same 20 songs looped constantly.

I will say that Lady Gaga has zero musical talent. Can't wait for that trash to go away.

And, yes, I am kinda old:)

i'm not a Lady Gaga fan but i think she's incredibly talented - watch this -

‪Lady Gaga - Paparazzi (Live Acoustic)‬‏ - YouTube

not only can she sing and play instruments but she writes her own songs too. unlike a lot of other artists that are "created" in the studio - this woman can create the music on her own. i respect that.

but - to each his own!

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
i'm not a Lady Gaga fan but i think she's incredibly talented -

‪Lady Gaga - Paparazzi (Live Acoustic)‬‏ - YouTube

not only can she sing and play instruments but she writes her own songs too.

to each his own!

I have heard that from a lot of her fans before, and I can somewhat agree, but only somewhat. From what I've heard, her song writing is questionable at best. She can sing and she can play though, buy so can many others. My bigger issue with here is her ridiculous look at me stunts. Personally I think if she was, and believed she was, that good, she would be able to rely on her music rather than her outfits and theatrics. But, as you said, to each their own

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I have heard that from a lot of her fans before, and I can somewhat agree, but only somewhat. From what I've heard, her song writing is questionable at best. She can sing and she can play though, buy so can many others. My bigger issue with here is her ridiculous look at me stunts. Personally I think if she was, and believed she was, that good, she would be able to rely on her music rather than her outfits and theatrics. But, as you said, to each their own

well the outfits and the stunts and the gimmicks are part of the game. this has been going on since the beginning of time - Elvis with the swinging hips and pompadour, KISS with the makeup, Michael Jackson with the glove, etc. in fact - i gave her even more credit as a MARKETER. not only does she have genius musical talent - she's a genius marketer because she knows how to market herself and her music through the outrageousness.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm old. But I dispute that people necessarily stop enjoying new music as they age.

An even older friend told me that before the musical 'generation gap' of the 60s, it was normal for parents and children to like the same music. That seismic change was unusual, and hasn't happened since.

I find that while there is lots of new music that I don't care for, there is also new music that is stylistically quite similar to what I listened to as a child and teen in the 60s. (And there's new stuff that sounds like the 70s ad 80s, too.) My kids like my old music. I see other teens wearing teeshirts bearing logos from bands of my youth.

Anyhow, this digression has nothing to do with Android gadgets. I didn't realize some come with radios. I like to listen to the radio in the car, but I have lousy reception at work and don't like headphones anyhow. So, probably not an important feature for me, but I can see it being an important differentiator for others.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
well the outfits and the stunts and the gimmicks are part of the game. this has been going on since the beginning of time - Elvis with the swinging hips and pompadour, KISS with the makeup, Michael Jackson with the glove, etc. in fact - i gave her even more credit as a MARKETER. not only does she have genius musical talent - she's a genius marketer because she knows how to market herself and her music through the outrageousness.

She definitely does an amazing job marketing herself. That's not too difficult to do with her fans age group though. Realistically, she's just pulling a page from Marilyn Manson's book. Shock them as much as you can and tell them you understand their childhood angst. Nothing new there. There is a bit of a difference between Michael Jackson's glove and a dress made out of meat though. We'll have yo agree to disagree on her musical "genius" though. As far as I'm concerned she's just another flash in the pan, but with a bit more talent than the rest. Its starting to show too. Judging by how her last album dropped off the face of the earth after the first week of selling for $1, her fan base might be outgrowing her. Thank god

Chilin#AC

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Just my thoughts on these
1. Fixed with root and BLN. I like having my buttons flash more
2. I wasn't aware anyone still listened to radio. In the year I had my EVO, I never once used it
3. I got sick of sense wuickly and rooted and romed my EVO. Personal preference
4. The Nexus screen is smaller, but so much better
5. HTC build quality left a lot to be desired on the EVO, and it looks like that hasn't changed much on the 3D. The EVO had issues with screen lifting, light bleed, plastic around the screen cracking, etc. The Nexus is solid. Updates should come faster on the Nexus, but may be a coin flip on fixes

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Just played w a Nexus S, feels light, maybe too light, cheap feel to it.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Just played w a Nexus S, feels light, maybe too light, cheap feel to it.

You know I keep hearing that from people and I just don't get how light equates to cheap. I also don't understand how people get on Samsung because they use plastic. My EVO was all plastic, yet everyone seems to think HTC has good build quality. I thought my EVO felt pretty cheap when the screen started lifting and the plastic started cracking and the battery door started creaking. Novproblems with my Nexus yet. Feels a lot more solid than the EVO. Some soft touch rubber on the back would feel nice though.

I'll tell you though, the phone doesn't feel cheap when it blazes through everything you throw at it without slowing down. I can deal with no soft touch rubber with the internals Samsung uses

Chilin#AC

May 20, 2011
Visit site
You know I keep hearing that from people and I just don't get how light equates to cheap. I also don't understand how people get on Samsung because they use plastic. My EVO was all plastic, yet everyone seems to think HTC has good build quality. I thought my EVO felt pretty cheap when the screen started lifting and the plastic started cracking and the battery door started creaking. Novproblems with my Nexus yet. Feels a lot more solid than the EVO. Some soft touch rubber on the back would feel nice though.

I'll tell you though, the phone doesn't feel cheap when it blazes through everything you throw at it without slowing down. I can deal with no soft touch rubber with the internals Samsung uses

I still think it feels cheap....it creeks when one grab it lol

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys I am trying to decide between these two. I already have an Evo 4G and it stopped sending and receiving MMS so I brought it into Sprint and I am now trying to decide between getting another Evo or a Nexus S. Help please?
The Nexus S is a great phone offering developers a "pure" Android experience. That purity brings limitations a typical owner may never notice. See the Nexus S Facebook, LED, microSD, Email, Text, & Camera Workarounds for our best workaround for the main issues with the Nexus S. If you would like to add to the workarounds, please reply in that thread. This is an EVO 4G thread. Here is a quick summary of the issues.

Facebook Sync: "...purposely removed from the Nexus S..." so no Profile photos, messages, phones, events, birthdays, notifications, or call photo and status popups.

Notification LED: The Nexus S does not have a LED for missed calls, email, texts, or events.

microSD: The Nexus S has no microSD

Speed Dial: Nexus S doesn't have Speed Dial

Smart Dial: The Nexus does not have smart dial.

Android Contact Groups: let you group contacts to send a text or email. The Nexus S can't edit contact groups.

Email Search: Nexus S Email search is limited and can't move deleted email to inbox,

Messaging: The Sprint Nexus S 4G Message app stops at 160 character.

Camera: The Nexus S Camera lacks digital zoom.

Browser: The Nexus S browser has pan, zoom, and text reflow limitations.

Video Player: The Nexus S does not play video formats other Androids use such as DivX and XviD.

FM Radio: The Nexus S lacks an FM Radio.

Visual Voicemail:The Nexus S lacks Visual Voicemail.

HDMI: The Nexus S USB port does not serve as an HDMI port.

HD Recording: The Nexus S is 480p and cannot record 1080p or 720p.

There are workaround for most of these. If you would like to add to the workarounds, please reply in that thread. This is the EVO 4G forum.

See the Phone Comparison for more features for the top phones.

The philosophy behind these two phones could not be more different.

Ask yourself this. Would you be in heaven if you spent all weekend trying to get a feature on your phone to work just right? Or would that be the weekend from hell? If you got a great new car, would you want to be driving it or tweaking it?

The EVO 4G and the Nexus S are last year's specs, but I still have my EVO 4G because so far there is no other phone that offers me a compelling reason to upgrade. My EVO 4G is fast, plays HDMI HD movies, is great for Facebook, and has my 151 apps on it. The HTC email, camera, messaging, browser, and phone apps work great right out of the box. I rely on my Notification LED so much that I also use Executive Assistant to use it for reminders. I keep a dozen of my favorite movies on my 32GB microSD ($70 Class 10) card plus all of my music and photos.

But if I were buying a phone today, I would get one of the best from today. You will sign a 24 month contract for around $2,000. The $200 up front is the least expensive part.

Make a list of the things that matter to you most. Don't settle for any phone. You will use this phone every day, all day. Life is short. Get the one that you like best. Go to the store and play with them all a lot.

No one else can tell you what will feel right to you.

Last edited:

HockeyPre

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus S is a great phone offering developers a "pure" Android experience. That purity brings limitations a typical owner may never notice. See the Nexus S Facebook, LED, microSD, Email, Text, & Camera Workarounds for our best workaround for the main issues with the Nexus S. If you would like to add to the workarounds, please reply in that thread. This is an EVO 4G thread. Here is a quick summary of the issues.

Facebook Sync: "...purposely removed from the Nexus S..." so no Profile photos, messages, phones, events, birthdays, notifications, or call photo and status popups.

Notification LED: The Nexus S does not have a LED for missed calls, email, texts, or events.

microSD: The Nexus S has no microSD

Speed Dial: Nexus S doesn't have Speed Dial

Smart Dial: The Nexus does not have smart dial.

Android Contact Groups: let you group contacts to send a text or email. The Nexus S can't edit contact groups.

Email Search: Nexus S Email search is limited and can't move deleted email to inbox,

Messaging: The Sprint Nexus S 4G Message app stops at 160 character.

Camera: The Nexus S Camera lacks digital zoom.

Browser: The Nexus S browser has pan, zoom, and text reflow limitations.

Video Player: The Nexus S does not play video formats other Androids use such as DivX and XviD.

FM Radio: The Nexus S lacks an FM Radio.

Visual Voicemail:The Nexus S lacks Visual Voicemail.

HDMI: The Nexus S USB port does not serve as an HDMI port.

HD Recording: The Nexus S is 480p and cannot record 1080p or 720p.

There are workaround for most of these. If you would like to add to the workarounds, please reply in that thread. This is the EVO 4G forum.

See the Phone Comparison for more features for the top phones.

The philosophy behind these two phones could not be more different.

Ask yourself this. Would you be in heaven if you spent all weekend trying to get a feature on your phone to work just right? Or would that be the weekend from hell? If you got a great new car, would you want to be driving it or tweaking it?

The EVO 4G and the Nexus S are last year's specs, but I still have my EVO 4G because so far there is no other phone that offers me a compelling reason to upgrade. My EVO 4G is fast, plays HDMI HD movies, is great for Facebook, and has my 151 apps on it. The HTC email, camera, messaging, browser, and phone apps work great right out of the box. I rely on my Notification LED so much that I also use Executive Assistant to use it for reminders. I keep a dozen of my favorite movies on my 32GB microSD ($70 Class 10) card plus all of my music and photos.

But if I were buying a phone today, I would get one of the best from today. You will sign a 24 month contract for around $2,000. The $200 up front is the least expensive part.

Make a list of the things that matter to you most. Don't settle for any phone. You will use this phone every day, all day. Life is short. Get the one that you like best. Go to the store and play with them all a lot.

No one else can tell you what will feel right to you.

So you're saying the Nexus S has a chance?

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
And what's really amazing is that with all those faults listed the Nexus is still a better phone, lol.

Sent from my Transformer

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
So you're saying the Nexus S has a chance?
Sure it does. It already is a success.

Statisically there are about 4% who will root their Android phones. The Nexus S is an amazong hot rod that they can strip down and rebuild to be anything they like.

Others just want to Facebook, speed dial, smart dial, email, text, zoom, and have the little "light thingy" that flashes for a missed text like their friends phones do. They just want to have it do everything right out of the box.

There are different phones for different people with different needs and personallities. We want to help them find whatever is right for them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12