Safe to upgrade to GB

APK

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I have been putting off upgrading to Gingerbread until an update came out after the intial release for the EVO 4G. Is it safe now and have there been any additional updates after the intial release?

I looked at the GB Update Sticky but the first page did not present an answer.

txfarmboy

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Mine is running fine. I got GB on the day it came out. There were a few apps I had that stopped working. Those are now working again without problems (Netflix).

About a week or two after GB was released another update was put out. I have not seen another sense then. I have no problems and I feel MY battery life is a tad better.

Good Luck!!

dmrdsm

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
We have 2 EVO's-one is still plagued with GB issues, one hasn't had them yet. Mine has been fairly stable for a week now, although on Thursday when I turned it on, it gave me the colorful bubble background. Friday when I turned it on, it gave me the black slate again. I finely got brave and used the camera in lowlight to see if it would freeze. It didn't, but I swear when you use it for the first shot it always makes a little sizzle, spark like, static like noise. Suppose that goes along with what people have been saying, it's a power management issue.

Still seeing the GSP showing active after I turn it off problem. Should say, when I turn it off with the power bar. I added the GSP icon and I think, clicking on it to turn it off vs turning it off on the power bar works most of the time.

While I say I have been stable for a week, I only have a few icons on my desktop, never hooked myself back up to wifi, only used the GPS to find a place to eat twice and only used the camera once to see if it would freeze. So very limited usage of anything.

If I had to do it over again, I would've lived without the GB update as the phone had been 100% perfect for the year before it. Good luck deciding.:'(

quadcam#CB

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I have been putting off upgrading to Gingerbread until an update came out after the intial release for the EVO 4G. Is it safe now and have there been any additional updates after the intial release?

I looked at the GB Update Sticky but the first page did not present an answer.

I update my stock evo to GB the day it was released, before the carrier pushed it out, the only issues I had was some, not all, of my contacts were doubled up, had to go in manually to delete the unwanted extra contacts. Lost one widget, volume setting widget, had to reload it. Other than that I did not have any of the problems that were reported by others. I'm not using Netflix so that wasn;t a problem.

Lets hope that the evo 4g keeps going a while longer.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Factory reset before and after you do the update. I did this on my wife's EVO 4G and she has had zero problems and great battery life. Did it for both updates but even the first update, her phone had no issues. Just make sure to backup all your contacts, texts, etc.

Shark918v

Feb 7, 2011
www.clcpi.com
I updated the day the update came out and my phone hasnt been the same since.

It wont Synch to MS Outlook Calendar or Contacts. The battery life seems lower.... Only to name a few....

I'm really PO'd over this! To the point that I am about ready to fix the phone using a pressure sensitive hammer, and then ship it back to HTC with a picture of my dog

Then go back to a Blackberry.

Last edited by a moderator:

asquared13

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Any apps I have that cannot be transferred to my SD will no longer update - so I cannot upgrade my Gmail, Twitter, Foursquare, etc..so basically I can make phone calls and search the internet. A huge waste..

mikeisnowonfire

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
If Ice Cream Sandwich comes out before the end of the year, the EVO will probably be the phone with the most users on Sprint. It would be crazy for HTC (who is pretty good about updates) and Sprint (who would be foolish to not push at least one more update for the EVO) to not think about that.

quadcam#CB

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I updated the day the update came out and my phone hasnt been the same since.

It wont Synch to MS Outlook Calendar or Contacts. The battery life seems lower.... Only to name a few....

I'm really PO'd over this! To the point that I am about ready to fix the phone using a pressure sensitive hammer, and then ship it back to HTC with a picture of my dog

Then go back to a Blackberry.

Dont give up on the Evo, take it back to your carrier and tell 'em ta fix it or replace it, it was their update that wrecked it.

Hmm, I have not done a factory reset on my evo since the day I first got it, have all the Gb updates & it's working just fine.

I picked up the GB update online BEFORE it was released by Sprint via the phone & have not had any major problems, just a couple minor ones, I wonder if the carrier shipped update was faulty?

Last edited by a moderator:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae