EVO GB update issues- SOLUTION ! - Wipe/Install as new...

Did you try to Evo 2.3 update issues Non-Data Reset Solution?

• Total voters

jecilop

May 18, 2010
Visit site
EDIT UPDATE 8/5 - Please do not respond to this thread with more complaints on problems with the 2.3.3 update. There is a crazy long thread for that already. This is advice for fixing those problems and making the phone work for you again - not a place to offer another complaint that factory resets didn't work. I understand as it didn't work for me; this IS NOT A RESET; it is a BLANK SLATE wipe by a Sprint tech. Please only offer "problem responses" if you've tried this and have failures or success or Sprint wouldn't do it for you. THANK YOU :)

Hello,

I like many of you I had serious problems with the 2.3 update (didn't dare try 2.3.3 after seeing further problems on here with that one).

I had a reply from HTC saying "we are aware of this problems and trying to fix them" via their forums (which are mostly a waste of time). I am sharing this info, however, on that site to.
I had a reply from Sprint via an e-mail address provided by someone here and my post listing the issues nicely just as on here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...te-issues-can-anyone-help-clearly-listed.html

The solution came down to this. Sometimes, the updates just don't install properly regardless of no error messages. The best thing to do isn't the factory data reset though you can try (I did TWO). Sprint's head office set up an appointment with a tech at the local repair center on these issues. The plan was to WIPE the phone COMPLETELY and REINSTALL the OS 2.3 - specifically, 2.3.3. It was a "hope" that nothing would continue to be a problem. It took him about an hour to do it - not so bad. This was not a factory data reset but rather a complete wipe then new install. No, they cannot install 2.2 though I begged :)
It takes the trip there, the hour for the work, and then the HOURS after for you to recustomize. Annoying, but the phone becomes functional again! Feel free to print this and show them so you don't have to explain yourself twice when taking it in ;-)

So...
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND everyone do this if you are having consistent problems. It is the worse pain to have to back up things that CAN BE backed up and re-install and setup, but it may be worth it after.

I can tell you that the wipe/reinstall seems to have fixed most issues except:
1) the GPS status bar notifier can only be trusted consistently if turned on/off via the "settings/location" to which I've made a shorcut. Power Bar widget (HTC) and GPS widget (HTC) do turn it on/off but the status bar doesn't always show the correct status when using these. I worked with it enough to determine this consistency. This may affect battery life for a lot of people as it will show GPS off but really be on. LOCATION through settings is the only reliable way to make the status bar indicator work.
2) I cannot vouch for anything on the Wireless N lack of access as I don't have that setup to test.
3) The Voice Search feature worked for awhile in the car and then suddenly didn't; it sometimes does and sometimes doesn't now. I think I'll have to live with this lack of reliability which is a break in the phone feature (and unfair), but that seems to be the way it is and won't change.
4) HTC Sense continues to reload at a certain unreasonable threshold when memory space is in the 60's now (sometimes 70's)(this use to be low 40's), but I switched to Go Launcher EX and don't worry about it anymore. There is sometimes a delay with GO loading everything, but it gets the main functional items up first (ex: phone) and can open them without waiting for everything else.. I don't know if that's related to anything else as memory is good.
4) Bluetooth connection in my car seems to work just fine now (aside from the battery drain and heat source it has always been!). It works whether I connect to the phone book or not. No longer getting the popup message of connecting/disconnecting and no dropped calls. All incoming calls came in just fine as well as the outgoing functioning well.

All other issues such as compass before seem fine now. App issues not working cannot be attributed to HTC but rather a developer having to update the app if possible. I used the phone extensively over the last two weeks including the car to bluetooth connection on a long trip to be able to say this.

If you are new to having something like this done or a factory data reset and backup restore, please let me recommend the following. This is GOOD ADVICE from major EXPERIENCE! I was new to it also; these are some of the best lessons I learned the hard way and would apply to any Android phone.

1) Make sure you have an AppBrain account and sync your phone before taking in for the wipe (or even if doing a factory data reset)! I found the Market did not make it easy to reinstall my apps after the data resets that I tried. They would only show the list already on the reset phone. Thank goodness for AppBrain.
2) While there are backup programs for apps out there, there may be some limitations that affect the update. When I used a restore feature to "easily" reinstall apps, I found that most apps did not show as installed on my phone when in the market (and thus would not update); also, certain restored phone settings like LED notification were restored but didn't work. I literally turned them off then right back and had it back! So be aware that certain backup/restore things are not completely reliable and not necessarily the dev's issue. HOWEVER, do backup your apps (My Backup or App Backup and Restore) because.....some apps I had are no longer available in the market. You can only use them if you've backed them up and thus have the .apk which you can install from a file manager app (ex: Explorer app). If you know how to move around your phone, you can store them elsewhere as a personal backup when needed and delete the rest. AppBrain might show them, but when you try to install you get the "no longer in market or not found" message.
3) When re-installing apps (use Wifi!!!). Don't worry; paid apps will reinstall as before. You will have to go back into each app and adjust settings ;-(
4) The SD card info is NOT AFFECTED by this.
5) Have a quick list of the first 5 major apps you want to install before using AppBrain to run them all. Install App Brain and these from the Market. For example, I have far more apps than fit the phone's unfortunate 512gb memory (It IS NOT 1gb ROM as many places advertise!). Many are on the SD Card through the 2.2 enable feature. So, I install App2SD first and set auto notification (or move ..hmm..don't think it auto moves in 2.3 anymore), but that prevents issues. My List (App2SD, AppBrain, Quick Settings, Battery Indicator, Jorte Calendar, Amazon App Store, and RAMDroid Widget). All of these allow me to get started with things such as settings and monitoring while apps are downloading.
**Side note if you are COMPLETELY NEW TO Android Apps....Widgets will not function if the app with the widget program is moved to the SD. Some dev's still give you the option (which is awesome); some won't make it an option and don't even know they can still do it allowing the customer the choice. The BEST dev's are those who have figured out that making a separate widget .apk with a small drive space footprint is best as it can access are larger main program on the SD..Brilliant! I came across this recently, and it changed the way I see apps and whose I download (Thanks, MortPlayer App & Widget App!)

I hope you find this helpful. Please thank me if so making the time to type this out worth it :) I told the tech that if he fixed issues he would get a good review on here. He was very knowledgeable and helpful! They look at sites like this one personally but then do have their own private forums to discuss issues. A MAJOR ISSUE: Customers talk on forums but don't bring phones in!! I'm spreading the word as promised given my results.

Now, on to my unrelated camera hardware issue!!!.....

Last edited:

Sideman7

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
A factory reset accomplished nothing for me other than wasting a lot of time. Sense reboots are still there, and although I started at 217mb free after everything was back on (I was down to 40mb beforehand), the storage space has been steadily dwindling and I am down to 100 right now. This loss of space can't even be accounted for in the application settings...

Am am so fed up with this phone now, I am seriously considering whether I will buy another android device in the future...

Rem3Dy

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
A factory reset accomplished nothing for me other than wasting a lot of time. Sense reboots are still there, and although I started at 217mb free after everything was back on (I was down to 40mb beforehand), the storage space has been steadily dwindling and I am down to 100 right now. This loss of space can't even be accounted for in the application settings...

Am am so fed up with this phone now, I am seriously considering whether I will buy another android device in the future...

Did you even read his post?

Reactions: tube517 and jecilop