So on the EVO there is a 4.3" screen at 400x800
    The incredible and N1 have a 3.7" screen at 400x800

Since we are using the same amount of pixles to cover a larger area wont the picture quality be degraded?

Is this a real life issue and we will actually be able to see things less clearly or a stats thing that while it may not be as good on paper you really cant tell with the naked eye.
    05-05-2010 02:10 PM
    I'm sure you meant that the phone's screen resolutions are 480x800. But, you are thinking right. Same number of pixels in a larger screen footprint. The math works out to approximately 210 pixels per inch on the EVO and roughly 250 ppi on the Incredible...or 20% more ppi. All else being equal, Incredible would be crisper.

But everything is not equal, so will the Incredible look better to the naked eye? Dunno. They have different basic screen types plus any differences in GPU or software rendering (which I know nothing of).

My opinion: It doesn't matter, I'm going with the EVO. Do you want a 60" HDTV or a 32" HDTV because it has 'denser pixels'? Consider this: both of these phones have 150% more pixels than the latest iPhone.
    05-05-2010 02:56 PM
    With only a .6" difference in size you won't noticed any difference... although if it was a 5" difference then you probably would see a difference.
    05-05-2010 02:59 PM
    - The Incredible is an OLED. Better blacks but probably not as good outdoors and in the sun. OLED is supposedly less taxing on the battery.
    - The EVO is LCD. Brighter outside and a proven technology. The EVO's battery has an additional 200 mAh (1500 total), so that should make up for the larger screen and the LCD technology.
    05-05-2010 03:05 PM
    Theoretically you won't be staring as close to a 4.3 inch screen at the same resolution as you would a 3.7 inch. (Slight difference mind you.)

The same applies with HD televisions, if you sit close enough to a 50 inch 1080p screen you can see the individual pixels but who does that? As a previous poster said, the ppi difference is minimal.

Also take into account the pixel density on the Evo will still be much higher than the current iPhone, I calculated the Evo at (217 ppi) while the iPhone is 163 ppi.
    05-05-2010 03:18 PM
    - The EVO is LED.
    Actually, it's LCD, not LED

LED = light emitting diode. Each pixel is made up of 3 light emitters (red, blue, green). AMOLED on the Incredible is a specific type of LED.

LCD = liquid crystal display. White light from either a fluorescent or LED source shines the entire display; each pixel is a set of colored filters with a liquid crystal shutter to decide which (if any) of them allow the light through.
    05-05-2010 05:16 PM

LED = light emitting diode. Each pixel is made up of 3 light emitters (red, blue, green). AMOLED on the Incredible is a specific type of LED.

LCD = liquid crystal display. White light from either a fluorescent or LED source shines the entire display; each pixel is a set of colored filters with a liquid crystal shutter to decide which (if any) of them allow the light through.
    Oops. Good catch. Thanks. My error. Corrected my original post.
    05-05-2010 05:20 PM
    Do you want a 60" HDTV or a 32" HDTV because it has 'denser pixels'?
    Or between a 37" and a 43" HDTV...
    05-05-2010 11:42 PM

Ooooh I think you may have just stumbled onto the next hot thing in cell phone screens - LED. Maybe in the next iPhone (MacBook Pros already use it)?
    05-06-2010 12:05 AM
    The pixel density is certainly lower, but it shouldn't be a problem. My current phone (Touch Pro 2) is a 3.6 inch WVGA TFT LCD and when compared to an HD2 with the same size and type of screen the EVO has, it still looked really good.
    05-06-2010 07:41 AM
    Or between a 37" and a 43" HDTV...
    True, that is a more analogous comparison...but I would still rather stare at my 60" HDTV. But the EVO gives me happy thoughts...much like I had when I first hung that Samsung on the wall just before Superbowl. So happy...
    05-06-2010 08:12 AM
    Also, think about the Pre and the iPhone, same resolution with .4" of difference between them. You can't say that the iPhone display looks horrible at all. So going from a Pre to Evo, I am going to gain just over an inch in screen size, but also almost double the amount of pixes in the vertical direction!

I am sure it will be just fine.
    05-06-2010 09:44 AM
    these are all conclutions before the device comes out im getting one no matter what but we really needs to see it in ur hands Tho
    05-06-2010 10:28 AM
    these are all conclutions before the device comes out im getting one no matter what but we really needs to see it in ur hands Tho
    The HD2 has the same screen size and the same resolution, (probably the same display even.)
    05-06-2010 12:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD