05-12-2010 07:22 PM
45 12
tools
    As far as Sprints current hotspot device pricing goes it's currently 60 bucks a month and outputs for up to 5 devices. Now if they've been able to make the evo work the same (actually 3 more), then I wonder what they're gonna charge. Just kinda somethin to think about. I highly doubt the plan would be as much as the overdrive because it's your Sprint phone and a hotspot device and not just a hotspot. You could not have a phone with Sprint and still have an overdrive hence the price they charge. Which is why there's all new "Special" pricing having to be rolled out with the phone. So with that said, compared to overdrive price 10 dollars/m sounds way too cheap (Although I hope this is the case lol) if I were betting I'd guess near or just under 30 dollars/m
    05-10-2010 12:47 PM
    Evo training started today at spint. The Evo will have a special rate plan with sprint and there will be an additional charge to have the wifi hotspot. My buddy at sprint said they won't officially release this info until a couple weeks prior to the release.

Then why did Dan say this:

!
    05-10-2010 12:53 PM

!
    I don't know what to say about that. I'm just stating what my friend told me. I never said anything about the pricing of the plan. I just said it will require a new rate plan just for the evo. But, if you ask me, I think it will be more expensive. My guess is that it will be similar to the iphone in that it has its own plan. Doesn't mean they are necessarily charging extra for every 4G phone they carry. Who knows.
    05-10-2010 01:06 PM
    I don't know what to say about that. I'm just stating what my friend told me. I never said anything about the pricing of the plan. I just said it will require a new rate plan just for the evo. But, if you ask me, I think it will be more expensive. My guess is that it will be similar to the iphone in that it has its own plan. Doesn't mean they are necessarily charging extra for every 4G phone they carry. Who knows.
    And this is where they will go all wrong with this device. Don't try to sneak a few extra bucks out of the pockets of your customers because you have a device that is real good.

Didn't they try this with the Pre? And look how that worked out.

Because a few months down the road another phone better than the EVO will come out and now this super phone is no longer super and not worth the extra monthly plan.

The iPhone situation is not the same since they have a fan-boy base that will kill their own grandmothers to have that phone.

Come on Sprint....don't F this one up. Just let the EVO be compatible with your current plans and enjoy the success.
    05-10-2010 01:19 PM

!
    i don't know why, but I have a problem with the industry moving towards charging per GB. I don't know why, maybe its because I'm so used to this figment of my imagination known as "unlimited" data. I like the idea of paying the same amount every month, not a Pay-As-You-Go. If I liked that, I would have gotten a pre-paid phone for much cheaper.
    05-10-2010 01:21 PM
    if sprint does that wich i truly believe they will they will just become as agressive as verizon and at&t when it comes to prices, they really need to come out with a reasonable price for the service, even tho the fact that it will be added as a feature is a good thing leaving us the choice to take it or leave it...
    05-10-2010 01:44 PM
    I can understand charging for the 'hot spot' feature. But just upgrading the phone should not require a 'special' plan. It should work on the Data Everything or whatever packages they have now.

EDIT: And if they do have a special plan that all lines have to be on, it better include BIS.
    05-10-2010 01:49 PM
    If there is a special plan for 4G, I'll probably hold off and stick with my Pre. I can understand charging extra for mobile hotspot but not for 4G.

My guess is that there will not be an additional 4G charge. It will be a huge mistake if they do. They screwed up when doing that with the first 3G/4G laptop card. It didn't sell well until they made the 4G rate the same as 3G.
    05-10-2010 02:25 PM
    I won't get that phone if I have to change my plan, or increase over the 69.99 plan. I hardly use my phone as a phone (even though its my only phone). No one seems to want to talk to me. I'm happy with my Hero running 2.1, but I'd be happier with this phone, but not at the expense of increase monthly charge. I wouldn't use the hotspot feature anyway.
    05-10-2010 02:26 PM
    I agree. If they charge extra for 4G, forget it. Sprint's not really in a position like Verizon to be obnoxious. (And really, why do people on Verizon and AT&T pay so much more for the same or less?)
    05-10-2010 06:02 PM
    Sprint does have the lowest prices currently for data so they have a little head room to work with so I would not doubt a small increase for 4G data... we will know soon enough.
    05-10-2010 06:06 PM
    Uh Oh. It looks like this came up again today. I hope it's not true because it will be a deal-killer. I'm not upgrading 3 other lines for one phone.

Will Sprint really try this underhanded way of increasing plan prices?
    05-11-2010 06:30 PM
    Why does this keep coming up?

The additional charge will be for hotspot ONLY. NOT 4G access for the phone. Hesse Flat out said that 4G won't be extra..
    05-11-2010 09:52 PM
    I'm pretty sure all of these "leaks" have been controlled leaks (re: strategically released for hype) by Sprint to some extent. Therefore, what if Sprint is just "sandbagging" the prices on these leaks just so they can come out tomorrow and announce that the real plans won't cost any extra? It might just be optimistic speculation by me, but I think it's possible. Also, I don't think Sprint would leak these shots just to break everyone into the idea of paying more.
    05-11-2010 10:08 PM
    The EVO party is tonight so I wouldn't be surprised if Sprint releases more solid information about pricing and launch dates. That said, I'd be very surprised if they charge extra for WiMAX on the EVO itself, even if they charge for the hotspot feature.
    05-12-2010 07:28 AM
    If they charge extra for WiMAX, I'll probably hold off and keep my Pre for a while. WiMAX is in my area but is very spotty and probably will be for a while. Doesn't make sense to pay extra when it's hit or miss.

They made this mistake when first launching 3G/4G data cards, charging $20/month extra. It didn't move well, they then charged same rate as 3G and it started to sell. I hope they don't make the same mistake twice but I wouldn't put it past Sprint as the left hand often doesn't know what right is doing.
    05-12-2010 07:37 AM
    I could see Sprint Charging more for the hotspot, but i'm sorry if they charge extra for 4g then Sprint might as well shut down and sell to Verizon.
    05-12-2010 08:05 AM
    So here is my question... its confirmed now that they are going to be charging an extra $29 a month for 4g hotspot (thats insane BTW)... BUT

Isnt that completely pointless and doesnt mean ANYTHING once the phone is rooted?? I am technically not supposed to be able to tether mine without paying extra.. but i can.. and i do.. both USB and WIFI.
    05-12-2010 06:38 PM
    I really do not need this feature. I will use it maybe 1 or 4 times a year if I go on vacation. Although a nice feature, if you are going to tell people that it is capable out of the box for tethering, as a selling feature. Then you should not be charged. Thats just my opinion.
    05-12-2010 07:20 PM
    They should simply do it like this:

* If you use X GB of data a month (whatever is the average for heavy smartphone users), it's included in the everything plan (and if you go over without tethering, it's also included)

* If you tether and go over that avg. use, you can purchase a "hotspot" extension for $29.99

That works for everyone. Because really, if Bob doesn't tether and uses 2 GB of data and Sam does tether and uses 1.5GB of data, why should Sam pay more than Bob?
    05-12-2010 07:22 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD