Evo Plans: Requires extra for 4G and hotspot? Ugh.

Mughato

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I would not be a happy camper [and may not become a Sprint customer] if they decide to start these "additional fees" policy. I can't believe that they would go to great lengths to draw potential customers from other carriers with top-notch gear and "all inclusive" plans, just to hit them with additional charges.

They can't be that dumb. Or can they?

xorg

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't think Sprint can possibly charge for 4G vs. 3G. If you have 4G at say, work in your town but not home, it would not be manageable. When 3G rolled out, Sprint didn't charge differently than for 2G. Sprint claims WiMAX is cheaper to operate in the end. If that's the case, they shouldn't be charging more. And by moving users to 4G, it offloads usage on the 3G network, which is at capacity in many areas.

When Sprint's 3G/4G laptop cards first appeared, they made a mistake charging $20 more/month than 3G only cards. They finally fixed that and is now the same rate. I wouldn't put it past Sprint to make the same mistake twice but I don't think it will happen.

cpolism

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't think Sprint can possibly charge for 4G vs. 3G. If you have 4G at say, work in your town but not home, it would not be manageable. When 3G rolled out, Sprint didn't charge differently than for 2G. Sprint claims WiMAX is cheaper to operate in the end. If that's the case, they shouldn't be charging more. And by moving users to 4G, it offloads usage on the 3G network, which is at capacity in many areas.

When Sprint's 3G/4G laptop cards first appeared, they made a mistake charging $20 more/month than 3G only cards. They finally fixed that and is now the same rate. I wouldn't put it past Sprint to make the same mistake twice but I don't think it will happen.

Evo training started today at spint. The Evo will have a special rate plan with sprint and there will be an additional charge to have the wifi hotspot. My buddy at sprint said they won't officially release this info until a couple weeks prior to the release.

Broheemster

May 5, 2010
Visit site
As far as Sprints current hotspot device pricing goes it's currently 60 bucks a month and outputs for up to 5 devices. Now if they've been able to make the evo work the same (actually 3 more), then I wonder what they're gonna charge. Just kinda somethin to think about. I highly doubt the plan would be as much as the overdrive because it's your Sprint phone and a hotspot device and not just a hotspot. You could not have a phone with Sprint and still have an overdrive hence the price they charge. Which is why there's all new "Special" pricing having to be rolled out with the phone. So with that said, compared to overdrive price 10 dollars/m sounds way too cheap (Although I hope this is the case lol) if I were betting I'd guess near or just under 30 dollars/m

Last edited:

cpolism

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site

I don't know what to say about that. I'm just stating what my friend told me. I never said anything about the pricing of the plan. I just said it will require a new rate plan just for the evo. But, if you ask me, I think it will be more expensive. My guess is that it will be similar to the iphone in that it has its own plan. Doesn't mean they are necessarily charging extra for every 4G phone they carry. Who knows.

RedWings

May 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what to say about that. I'm just stating what my friend told me. I never said anything about the pricing of the plan. I just said it will require a new rate plan just for the evo. But, if you ask me, I think it will be more expensive. My guess is that it will be similar to the iphone in that it has its own plan. Doesn't mean they are necessarily charging extra for every 4G phone they carry. Who knows.

And this is where they will go all wrong with this device. Don't try to sneak a few extra bucks out of the pockets of your customers because you have a device that is real good.

Didn't they try this with the Pre? And look how that worked out.

Because a few months down the road another phone better than the EVO will come out and now this super phone is no longer super and not worth the extra monthly plan.

The iPhone situation is not the same since they have a fan-boy base that will kill their own grandmothers to have that phone.

Come on Sprint....don't F this one up. Just let the EVO be compatible with your current plans and enjoy the success.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site

yazman666

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
if sprint does that wich i truly believe they will they will just become as agressive as verizon and at&t when it comes to prices, they really need to come out with a reasonable price for the service, even tho the fact that it will be added as a feature is a good thing leaving us the choice to take it or leave it...

RedWings

May 9, 2010
Visit site
I can understand charging for the 'hot spot' feature. But just upgrading the phone should not require a 'special' plan. It should work on the Data Everything or whatever packages they have now.

EDIT: And if they do have a special plan that all lines have to be on, it better include BIS.

xorg

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
If there is a special plan for 4G, I'll probably hold off and stick with my Pre. I can understand charging extra for mobile hotspot but not for 4G.

My guess is that there will not be an additional 4G charge. It will be a huge mistake if they do. They screwed up when doing that with the first 3G/4G laptop card. It didn't sell well until they made the 4G rate the same as 3G.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I won't get that phone if I have to change my plan, or increase over the 69.99 plan. I hardly use my phone as a phone (even though its my only phone). No one seems to want to talk to me. I'm happy with my Hero running 2.1, but I'd be happier with this phone, but not at the expense of increase monthly charge. I wouldn't use the hotspot feature anyway.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I agree. If they charge extra for 4G, forget it. Sprint's not really in a position like Verizon to be obnoxious. (And really, why do people on Verizon and AT&T pay so much more for the same or less?)

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Sprint does have the lowest prices currently for data so they have a little head room to work with so I would not doubt a small increase for 4G data... we will know soon enough.

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Uh Oh. It looks like this came up again today. I hope it's not true because it will be a deal-killer. I'm not upgrading 3 other lines for one phone.

Will Sprint really try this underhanded way of increasing plan prices?

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Why does this keep coming up?

The additional charge will be for hotspot ONLY. NOT 4G access for the phone. Hesse Flat out said that 4G won't be extra..

Frankenstein

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure all of these "leaks" have been controlled leaks (re: strategically released for hype) by Sprint to some extent. Therefore, what if Sprint is just "sandbagging" the prices on these leaks just so they can come out tomorrow and announce that the real plans won't cost any extra? It might just be optimistic speculation by me, but I think it's possible. Also, I don't think Sprint would leak these shots just to break everyone into the idea of paying more.

letsgoflyers81

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
The EVO party is tonight so I wouldn't be surprised if Sprint releases more solid information about pricing and launch dates. That said, I'd be very surprised if they charge extra for WiMAX on the EVO itself, even if they charge for the hotspot feature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar