Swap Photon for Evo 4g?

Dark_Blu

Nov 16, 2010
www.reverbnation.com
Just keep in mind there are some bad@ss ROM's out there Deck's and r3chargeD for 2 of them that will make your phone feel, look, and act brand new...Deck's is Android 2.3.5, and r3chargeD is Sense 3.0. Both are fast, good on battery, and require nothing other than flashing them from the user. BE WARNED THOUGH: Flashing ROM's is like smoking crack. IT'S HIGHLY ADDICTIVE!

But won't that delete everything off my phone and cause me to have to reinstall everything? Did you say Sense 3.0??? Are those two you mentioned better than Cyanogenmod 7?

And why can't I Uninstall the Bloatware? It's all greyed out.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
But won't that delete everything off my phone and cause me to have to reinstall everything? Did you say Sense 3.0??? Are those two you mentioned better than Cyanogenmod 7?

And why can't I Uninstall the Bloatware? It's all greyed out.

Flashing a ROM will not delete anything on your SD card. Move everything you can to your SD card. You will only have to download apps you didn't move once because you can use Titanium Backup after that. Flashing a ROM is worth it.

You need a "Root Uninstaller" to uninstall the bloatware. There are several free versions in the market.

Both of those ROM's have a bigger following than CM7. Less buggy, though CM7 has come leaps and bounds from what I've heard. Yes, r3charged is Sense 3.0...like the HTC Flyer Tablet. It rocks.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
No, but I just got done rooting, so we shall see if Rooting makes it better. I'm not messing with any custom Rom's for now. I just want to delete Bloatware and reclaim some memory so this thing works long enough to get me to December.

factory reset would have probably fixed your issues. it's been mentioned on these forums a thousand times.

good luck.

Dark_Blu

Nov 16, 2010
www.reverbnation.com
factory reset would have probably fixed your issues. it's been mentioned on these forums a thousand times.

good luck.

I shouldn't have to do a factory reset to fix a phone that was working fine with Froyo. I shouldn't have to root a phone to get it to work right like it did with Froyo. The phone worked fine out of the box until I installed the Gingerbread update and many have had the same problems. The Gingerbread update had bugs that still aren't being addressed by HTC. They've moved on to be more concerned about their EVO 3D, which no doubt, didn't have any of the bugs that Gingerbread on the EVO did. The phone definitely is performing better after the root, but it shouldn't have come to that. It's not unreasonable for a customer to expect a product to work properly after an OS update. Tinkering is great if you're into it and not so much fun, if you're not. I'm not interested in tinkering with a phone. I just need it to work. So far, the root has done the trick, with the added benefit of being able to download a root uninstaller that got rid of the bloatware. A factory reset, wouldn't have accomplished that.

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
I had an evo4g and now have a photon. I think you will be happy with either and there are times i miss my evo. For those making the argument that the photon is a world phone, thats great if you travel outside the united states, i know i do not and we are not sure if the op does or not so it may not be a valid argument.

--------------------------------------
Sent from my Sprint Photon using Tapatalk

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I shouldn't have to do a factory reset to fix a phone that was working fine with Froyo. I shouldn't have to root a phone to get it to work right like it did with Froyo. The phone worked fine out of the box until I installed the Gingerbread update and many have had the same problems. The Gingerbread update had bugs that still aren't being addressed by HTC. They've moved on to be more concerned about their EVO 3D, which no doubt, didn't have any of the bugs that Gingerbread on the EVO did. The phone definitely is performing better after the root, but it shouldn't have come to that. It's not unreasonable for a customer to expect a product to work properly after an OS update. Tinkering is great if you're into it and not so much fun, if you're not. I'm not interested in tinkering with a phone. I just need it to work. So far, the root has done the trick, with the added benefit of being able to download a root uninstaller that got rid of the bloatware. A factory reset, wouldn't have accomplished that.

you did a major OS upgrade. a factory reset is not tinkering. it's providing a clean slate for the new OS to run properly. it's a well documented easy, quick, and painless solution which is much more productive than stubbornly bitting and complaining about an easily fixable problem.

good luck.

Dark_Blu

Nov 16, 2010
www.reverbnation.com
you did a major OS upgrade. a factory reset is not tinkering. it's providing a clean slate for the new OS to run properly. it's a well documented easy, quick, and painless solution which is much more productive than stubbornly bitting and complaining about an easily fixable problem.

good luck.

A major OS update should not REQUIRE a factory reset to work. Rooting should not be REQUIRED for it to work. If you check some other threads, you'll find that a factory reset was a temporary solution for some people in some cases, and is not the be all/end all defacto solution that works for everyone, every time. It is not unreasonable to buy a product and expect it to work properly without a factory reset. I'm willing to bet that other phones that were updated to Gingerbread didn't REQUIRE a factory reset or rooting, to work properly.

Last edited:

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I had an evo4g and now have a photon. I think you will be happy with either and there are times i miss my evo. For those making the argument that the photon is a world phone, thats great if you travel outside the united states, i know i do not and we are not sure if the op does or not so it may not be a valid argument.

--------------------------------------
Sent from my Sprint Photon using Tapatalk

Not to mention you have to register that "world phone" with one of the other countries carriers, and hope they have an agreement with Sprint or you're getting 2 bills. It's actually more of a PITA than it's worth unless you keep going back to the same city, in the same country. It's not for the typical vacation traveler. I go to Europe and Asia quite a bit (3-4 times a year) and I have no need for a world phone. I just buy one of their little prepaid ones and take it back for recycle just before I leave.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
A major OS update should not REQUIRE a factory reset to work. Rooting should not be REQUIRED for it to work. If you check some other threads, you'll find that a factory reset was a temporary solution for some people in some cases, and is not the be all/end all defacto solution that works for everyone, every time. It is not unreasonable to buy a product and expect it to work properly without a factory reset. I'm willing to bet that other phones that were updated to Gingerbread didn't REQUIRE a factory reset or rooting, to work properly.

I did a factory data reset right after I took the upgrade. Maybe that's why I didn't have any drama out of mine. It is a major upgrade and a clean slate (as Gekko said) is always a good thing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc