Poll: Whose turned off by the $10 buy up for the Evo?

Are you turned off by the $10 buy up

• Total voters

fry8

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
With all the commotion going on in the forums about the $10 buy up I think a poll is necessary.

My 2 cents: Sprint should drop the $10/month charge. As a sprint rep it makes no sense. Sprint is not in a position to piss of customers and detract new lines. They charge the same $60/month for the 4g aircards as they do with the 3g cards. 4g is even cheaper than 3g and when "your the best value in wireless" you should include more in the package and not charge more. Sprint will no longer have the nice even number for their $99.99 simply everything. Why should someone who doesn't get 4g pay for 4g? That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Even if you are in 4g service, coverage may be spotty so the $10 becomes even less justified. Sprint claims that the premium $10 buy up is for a "richer data experience", but again if you don't live in a 4g service area how is that a "richer data experience" sounds like a poorer wallet experience in my book.

Sprint still is the best value in wireless, but I don't think they should charge extra for 4g when it doesn't cover the majority of Americans.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm not in a 4g area and disappointed to have to pay the fee, though, if I have to pay it to get the phone, I will.

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
T-Mobile's HSPA+ data is faster than Sprint's Wimax, has a larger coverage area, and doesn't cost any extra on T-Mobile's plans (which were already as cheap or cheaper than Sprint's pre Wimax plans) and they don't even require a contract.

As soon as they announce a phone I want (which will be this year) I will more than likely be going with them. No way am I paying Sprint an extra $40 per month for the 4 lines on my family plan (and signing a 2 year contract for each line) when I can go to T-Mobile with basically no risks and a cheaper price.

Screw Sprint, they really dropped the ball on this one. I have been axiously awaiting this phone ever since CTIA, and now I am probably not even going to get it.

dwightshrute

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Of course we don't like it and it would have utterly CRUSHED their competition had they included 4g for free, but $10 isn't THAT bad....for us that have 4g. Those of you without it are screwed and this is a huge flaw. Come on Sprint, continue to do the people right like you've been doing BEFORE this announcement.

bdarknessb

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Although its not fair for customers that dont have 4G coverage, I don't mind the 10 dollar more a month for higher quality service. Hopefully there will be a work around for the $30/month hotspot (like pda net, ect). In which case i can say good bye to time warner and my 10 dollars will go much further.

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I not. But, I am very disappointed with the $30 hotspot fee. They could give us a package that would offer limited bandwidth for the hotspot. $30 for the casual user is way too high.

bcaprara

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm not turned off at all by the $10 fee. Sprint it already as cheap as it is. Plus my girlfriend gets an 18% off corporate discount through Arbys=]

dre3k2

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Not as bothered as I was at first. $10 extra a month is bullcrap, But I'll just make it a point to abuse the heck out of the data on the Evo. It'll only be an extra $120 for a year.. and then I'll be up for another upgrade.

I'm not even worried about $30 hotspot, some smart guy (or gal) will come up with a work-a-round.

That's just how I look at it.

fry8

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
T-Mobile's HSPA+ data is faster than Sprint's Wimax, has a larger coverage area, and doesn't cost any extra on T-Mobile's plans (which were already as cheap or cheaper than Sprint's pre Wimax plans) and they don't even require a contract.

As soon as they announce a phone I want (which will be this year) I will more than likely be going with them. No way am I paying Sprint an extra $40 per month for the 4 lines on my family plan (and signing a 2 year contract for each line) when I can go to T-Mobile with basically no risks and a cheaper price.

Screw Sprint, they really dropped the ball on this one. I have been axiously awaiting this phone ever since CTIA, and now I am probably not even going to get it.

HSDPA + is not faster than 4g, there's a reason why they don't advertise it and they also don't really have any HSDPA+ coverage. The backhaul for HSDPA+ is no where near the same as wimax. I have seen a blog about how HSDPA + was faster, but that's because they used the wrong theoretical speeds for wimax. Wimax is about 70+ mpbs down and HSDPA+ is around 30 mpbs, but in real world tests, there isn't a huge difference between their 3g and HSDPA+.

T mobile really isn't cheaper than sprint for the data plans, especially when one considers that most people are just calling cell phones, because everyone they know pretty much has a cell phone and with sprint one gets features such as sprint nav and sprint tv. T-mobile should be more concerned on improving their 3g network first and their voice network before going on to HSDPA+.

Second of all being on a contract isn't as big of a deal than you think, especially considering that the early termination is pro rated. With t-mobile for say an evo you would have to pay $450 or more (I don't think the retail price was announced yet) for the phone if you don't want a contract as well.

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
As long as the $10 gets rid of the 5gb cap on 3g, I'm ok with it. I'll be burning up the 3g until we get 4g in Cleveland this winter.

Sprint still offer's a better value, and as long as the $10 adds a benefit to non 4g customers as well I think its acceptable.

fry8

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
As long as the $10 gets rid of the 5gb cap on 3g, I'm ok with it. I'll be burning up the 3g until we get 4g in Cleveland this winter.

Sprint still offer's a better value, and as long as the $10 adds a benefit to non 4g customers as well I think its acceptable.

Yes from what I hear there will be no cap on 3g and 4g.

celeste9000

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I had to think twice about getting the Evo. I pay $89.99-18 (discount)=71.98+5.00 (taxes)=76.98. I pay around $76.98 per month for my BB on Verizon. This plan includes 450 minutes, unlimited texting and data. I was planning to go to Sprint with the $69.99 plan minus my 20% discount and save almost $20. I was mad when I first heard about the $10 fee. Espcially since Im not gonna have 4G (regardless of them saying its not for that). However, I really want this phone because of its screen and capabilities, AND it will still be cheaper than my plan at Verizon...Sprint and Evo here I come.

celeste9000

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Not as bothered as I was at first. $10 extra a month is bullcrap, But I'll just make it a point to abuse the heck out of the data on the Evo. It'll only be an extra $120 for a year.. and then I'll be up for another upgrade.

I'm not even worried about $30 hotspot, some smart guy (or gal) will come up with a work-a-round.

That's just how I look at it.

Im with you on this one. I plan on using data like there is no tomorrow and ditto on the hotspot!!!:D

fry8

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
I think for the $10 extra the hotspot should come free to make you feel better about paying the extra money.

thegov

May 6, 2010
Visit site
For openers I'm kind of biased b/c St. Louis will have 4g this summer...Having said that, I'm not bent out of shape about the $10. Also, I don't really think we will be paying for the 4g as much as we'll be paying for the larger data usage that will be incurred by the evo. Uploading pics from an 8 megapixel camer; video calls, youtube hq to name just a few the phone will use a ton of data. not to mention steaminng hq video such as movies. Its still cheaper than any other plan on any network and lets face it there is not other 4g option. (sorry t-mobile folks but seriously..) i'm gonna enjoy the hell out of using a s***load of data. and my understanding is there will be no cap. i'm gonna get the hotspot add-on as well so all my iphone friends will have something fast to connect to!!!!! oh did i mention multi-person gaming...lots of data...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay