468. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

216 46.15%
  • No

252 53.85%
06-01-2010 11:40 AM
362 ... 12131415
tools
    Im disappointed in the hotspot fee, I could care less about the $10. The 4G will eventually be in my area its not a dealbreaker. However I bad on Sprint's part to make us pay for wifi tethering at $30 monthly when att & tmobile are free. I guess it could be worse.
    05-28-2010 02:39 PM
    You may want to check your sources on ATT and TMO offering free wifi tethering. The only carrier offering free tethering is Verizon on the pre plus.
    05-28-2010 08:18 PM
    So why complain? You obviously feel that you are morally and intellectually superior to those of us who have or will own this phone (i.e. spineless and inability to manage money, in your words). Just don't get the phone and you won't be faced with the $10 up charge.
    05-28-2010 09:27 PM
    i actually live in a 4g supported city (philadelphia) and the 4g is so spotty that paying $10 for it is ridiculous. I can't imagine how people who don't live in a 4g supported city would feel about paying for something they won't have anytime soon.
    05-29-2010 12:52 AM
    I don't mind. If my 10 dollars can help get Sprint in the green and push their deployment of 4G faster, I will gladly pay it.
    05-29-2010 01:10 PM
    I got that statement from a Sprint rep in store...
    I didn't find out about the extra $10 fee until I called Sprint to make sure I wouldn't have to change my plan for the EVO, and when I call Sprint I call the disconnect department so that I don't have to repeat my question a thousand times, which normally I get all that I need from that department. I was assured by the rep that the $10 was only for the "premium data" so that we would not be limited on the use of data.
    05-29-2010 08:29 PM
    I didn't find out about the extra $10 fee until I called Sprint to make sure I wouldn't have to change my plan for the EVO, and when I call Sprint I call the disconnect department so that I don't have to repeat my question a thousand times, which normally I get all that I need from that department. I was assured by the rep that the $10 was only for the "premium data" so that we would not be limited on the use of data.
    05-29-2010 08:30 PM
    I can't believe anyone really cares about this.
    05-29-2010 09:37 PM
    Hi, all. I've been lurking for a while, but just joined because of the EVO!!! Anyway, I think a better pricing scheme would have been a flat $25 over and above the plan price for 4G AND hotspot. I think a LOT more people would be ok with this, since you get it all for $25 instead of $40...
    I beg to differ - I for one do not want the hotspot so why would I want to pay to have both when I won't use it. I don't mind paying the $10 because I feel that it's not just for the 4G.
    05-29-2010 10:09 PM
    You obviously feel that you are morally and intellectually superior to those of us who have or will own this phone (i.e. spineless and inability to manage money, in your words).
    While this is evidently true, I just get annoyed when Sprint pisses on your head and tells you its rain, and all everyone here can do is look up and say "Oh it must be raining!"
    05-30-2010 01:14 PM
    Hi, all. I've been lurking for a while, but just joined because of the EVO!!! Anyway, I think a better pricing scheme would have been a flat $25 over and above the plan price for 4G AND hotspot. I think a LOT more people would be ok with this, since you get it all for $25 instead of $40...
    I could stomach the $40 if I could add the Overdrive to the package. When I'm at home, I'd rather not tax my Evo's battery to get my computer on 4G. I'm willing to pay for the hardware, or even rent it -- just let me share the connection on one bill.

As it stands, I'll pony up the extra $10 without protest, use Froyo's native tethering from mobile laptop connectivity, and continue to use my current DSL service at home.
    05-30-2010 04:43 PM
    While this is evidently true, I just get annoyed when Sprint pisses on your head and tells you its rain, and all everyone here can do is look up and say "Oh it must be raining!"
    Evident that you are morally and intellectually superior?
    05-30-2010 08:48 PM

you are with out a doubt what is wrong with forums all over the internet. its ppl like you that we dont want or need on here. only thing you are superior at is being a ******. i really hope you dont get an evo because you dont deserve to have such a device. so why not take your fanboy *** back to the icrap. we dont want or need your kind here! you are an ***** sir.

and i would bet that 99% of ppl here would agree with me on this.
    05-30-2010 09:44 PM
    They can call it anything they want, I don't care. On my 2 lines I blast through 3000+ minutes, hundreds of texts, and gigs of data every month. With my corp discount I am paying $114 including taxes. No way am I going to go to another network just so I can pay more money for an inferior phone.
    05-30-2010 11:18 PM
    My first real "post" and you prompted it....he is hilarious and soooo telling the truth....the amazing but sadly, disappointing, truth.
    05-30-2010 11:32 PM

I wish the fee was not added on, but I can sure understand why Sprint is doing it. I would rather pay an extra $10 to get the best phone on a hell of a network than pay $140 for a comparable plan from Verizon or ATT, both of which have inferior data networks to that of Sprint. Verizon is definitely the largest network, but it's not all quality. I ALWAYS get more consistent and faster speeds on my Pre than ALL of my friends do on a Droid.

So pay less for a better phone and a beter network, despite the $10 added on? Sign me up.
    I feel the same way you do and WILL definitely get the EVO despite the short battery life and $10 "Data" charge, BUT after reading this website, I am now a little more turned off about the $10 charge. Great site. Explain the Fee!
    WatermelonSlim likes this.
    05-31-2010 04:04 AM
    i am definitely especially if you don't live in a 4g area thats not fair at all
    05-31-2010 08:44 AM
    life isnt always fair, so deal with it...
    05-31-2010 09:35 AM
    With all the people that argue it is not fair, no one has proposed how exactly this would happen.

Only charge people that live in 4G area
    How has this happened historically? 2G to 3G?
    Sprint would have to block access to people that live in 3G areas when they go into 4G areas

Seems like a lot of work for a 4G phone.

Obviously, this phone/charge is meant for people in 4G areas to take full advantage of its capabilities. If you are not in a 4G area, why not just wait? If you don't want to wait, there's a fee and its $10/month. Doesn't seem complicated to me.

How widely available was 3G on ATT when they started releasing 3G phones/plans? People want to make it seem like Sprint is being unfair and this is the first of any carrier charging a fee to everyone that only a few can take advantage of.
    wase4711 and blupit30 like this.
    05-31-2010 11:39 AM
    This literally says it all:
    05-31-2010 12:26 PM
    The buildout costs money..that's why they're tacking an extra 10 bucks a month to subscribers using their first 4G phone.
    05-31-2010 12:42 PM
    hard to believe a corporate executive would say one thing and do another........
    05-31-2010 12:43 PM
    The buildout costs money..that's why they're tacking an extra 10 bucks a month to subscribers using their first 4G phone.
    I think that this is not so much the issue as Sprint not admitting to such.
    05-31-2010 01:00 PM
    I think that this is not so much the issue as Sprint not admitting to such.
    I agree. I was really hoping we'd get some more clarification the week after the $10 fee was announced on what exactly Sprint will call it on the bill.
    05-31-2010 01:02 PM
    This literally says it all:
    But Sprint contends that it is a device charge not a 4G charge so this would not apply. Now it is up to consumers to decide if the evo is worth $10/month extra.
    05-31-2010 02:09 PM
362 ... 12131415
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD