Poll: Whose turned off by the $10 buy up for the Evo?

Are you turned off by the $10 buy up

• Total voters

dre3k2

May 13, 2010
Visit site
look at AT&T, look back at Sprint, look at AT&T, now look back at Sprint.

You're gonna pay significantly less money if you go to Sprint.

I'm on a horse..

(I just watched that old spice commercial lol)

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
This is the age old argument. What is the $10 charge for, 4G or EVO premium charge. If it is a charge for the use of 4G, then it should be only charged where there is 4G. In my state, there is no 4G, and we are not slated to have 4G at all, which means the earliest we would get it is 2011 or 2012. But, if this is a Premium $10 charge, for video chatting, (as long a video chatting works on 3G), and 8MP camera and video I possibly could understand. But don't tell me it is a charge for Premium Data add-on and tell me it luxury tax for a luxury phone. The state that I live in, the Attorney General does not like companies charging for services that the consumer is not able to receive or, to be more precise, not even being offered. But Sprint is still trying to charge the $10 extra fee. I understand that they can charge extra for 4g, and they should. But it should only be for the areas that have 4G. They know where 4G is, they have a record where everyone lives. It is very easy to know who has 4G and who doesn't, especially of States that don't have 4G at all.

Sprint could very easy get the extra $10 be changing the wording by calling this and EVO luxury usage fee. If you want the EVO, you have to pay the fee. Don't use the Premium Data speech, because it won't hold up in court and will cost them dearly in the long run.

n8spangler

May 16, 2010
Visit site
according to mr. Hesse, 4g costs sprint LESS than 3g. im sure they will, but, how can a company justify charging customers more when it costs the company less? especially when the company is losing customers?

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
according to mr. Hesse, 4g costs sprint LESS than 3g. im sure they will, but, how can a company justify charging customers more when it costs the company less? especially when the company is losing customers?

That is probably cost to operate, this still would incur additional cost to implement and with additional bandwidth they'll most likely pay additional costs for backbone traffic, and even if it costs LESS, they are still running a 3g network as well, that isnt just going away. So by saying it cost less doesnt mean they arent spending more right now to have it., you can bet they are.

So you are taking that comment from him out of context and saying the EVO cost less to operate on their network, he didn't say that.

And by him saying that means the company could have less operational costs in the long run which looks good to investors/stock holders.

Last edited:

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

how many millions of dollars in R&D, equipment, and labor do you think it costs to deploy 4G all over the country?

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
how many millions of dollars in R&D, equipment, and labor do you think it costs to deploy 4G all over the country?

Exactly! Not trying to defend Sprint but people are taking some things that Hesse has said out of context and trying to say he has lied or is being deceptive.

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Everyone is missing the point. Sprint can charge for 4G. I don't have a problem with that. Most people are arguing that they shouldn't be charged for a service the can't get or are not even being offered 4G where they live. Again, Sprint should just come out and say this is a luxury tax. You want the phone, you pay $10 usage fee. The problem is that there wording is wrong when they say Premium data fee. But, Sprint did say that what you really are getting is unlimited data. Actually in the Unlimited plan we have now, in the fine print it states that there is a 3GB limit per month for data. Just like cable companies have caps on data, even though they say its an unlimited plan, Sprint is just doing the same thing as the Cable companies.

I guess they expect with Video chatting you are going to download more. Most people won't go over 3 GB on the phone, so this really doesn't fly. But, at least they are trying to cover themselves with that explanation.

If Sprint doesn't change the fee, most people that really want the EVO, will buy it no matter what, even if they don't agree with the fee.

brybry2

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I dont understand. Sprint has the most affordable plans, plane and simple. Then Sprint is the first to offer new, faster service. I have no problem for them to charge for this new service. I have the choice to either stay with my moment and 3g or upgrade to 4g. If you dont like the $10.00 fee dont upgrade. You will not have to pay the extra. I want the hotspot but not going to pay 30 dollars for it, thats a choice we all have.

I love my Infiniti G35 but I dont see Infiniti giving me G37 for free because its new.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i think Hesse misspoke at CTIA 2010 when he said something to the effect of "4G allows us to give more to the customer for free". he should haven never said that because it kind of implies that 4G would be free. i'm not saying he was lying - just a poor choice of words.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
i think Hesse misspoke at CTIA 2010 when he said something to the effect of "4G allows us to give more to the customer for free". he should haven never said that because it kind of implies that 4G would be free. i'm not saying he was lying - just a poor choice of words.

Yup, poorly chosen words indeed. The quote was:

"It's like standard def versus high def, but with that analogy, you paid more for the better service. With 4G, we're giving you more for free."

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Everyone is missing the point. Sprint can charge for 4G. I don't have a problem with that. Most people are arguing that they shouldn't be charged for a service the can't get or are not even being offered 4G where they live. Again, Sprint should just come out and say this is a luxury tax. You want the phone, you pay $10 usage fee. The problem is that there wording is wrong when they say Premium data fee. But, Sprint did say that what you really are getting is unlimited data. Actually in the Unlimited plan we have now, in the fine print it states that there is a 3GB limit per month for data. Just like cable companies have caps on data, even though they say its an unlimited plan, Sprint is just doing the same thing as the Cable companies.

I guess they expect with Video chatting you are going to download more. Most people won't go over 3 GB on the phone, so this really doesn't fly. But, at least they are trying to cover themselves with that explanation.

If Sprint doesn't change the fee, most people that really want the EVO, will buy it no matter what, even if they don't agree with the fee.

Another well made point. Plus lets assume this phone is going to be surpassed in capabilities within 6 months and then what? It isn't the premium phone on Sprint's network anymore so do they drop the fee for new EVO users at that time, or drop it for everyone who has an evo?

kjparfekt

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Not getting the EVO on launch cause of Sprints greedy $10 fee

Who else is going to show Sprint an extra $10 fee on their new flagship phone won't fly? Especially since I'm sure many of you, like me, aren't in 4G areas.

Coming from the Pre I couldn't possibly use more data than I already do and don't accept their justification for the fee. On a family plan a $10 fee represents a 50% increase in cost for this phone per month in addition to the standard $20 add a phone fee.

$240 for the life of a 2 year agreement bugs me enough that I won't be purchasing this phone with Sprint until something changes. For a tech person this is hard but principle rules on this decision.

For anyone who wants to claim that Sprint is still cheaper go ahead. But it's getting less cheaper so suddenly Verizon's superior 3G coverage network looks good with the Inc (again, I'm in a major city that does not have 4G).

Just my opinion.

Thanks!

csierra72

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
To each his own. I'm still getting it. I'm on everything data so with the $10 it only brings me to $80.00 plus taxes. Still a great deal and I am in a 4G area so I'm good to go.