Poll: Whose turned off by the $10 buy up for the Evo?

Are you turned off by the $10 buy up

• Total voters

BigRick10

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I'll wait for about 3 months. Since they can keep track on data usage. I will also have them on record since they come on the bill. Once i show them that i am using less data then on my blackberry i will demand they waive it. If i do use more then i wont bug them :p

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Do you think that AT&T, Verizon and Tmobile won't be charging and extra fee once they put their 4g service online? they also have to pay for that expensive new equipment. Currently Sprint is the only 4g service and Phone in town and they could charge a lot more, if you don't want to pay don't get the phone.

Septro

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
In my SNL voice.. "Really? REally over $10??"

• Even with the $10 fee, any comparable plan on another carrier is at least $10 more compared to Sprint
  • Free mobile to mobile alone can allow you to take an even lower plan than a competitor and save more money
  • Unlimited data on Sprint is unlimited.. Go ask Verizon about their 5gb cap on their 'unlimited' plan
  • Nobody else has 4G/Wimax
  • Even not on 4G - adding a phone with HD vid capture/upload and Video Chat means higher network usage even on 3G
  • The ETF fee is at least $125 lower on Sprint compared to AT&T and Verizon
  • Spending more than $69 allows you to upgrade every year

Did I miss a reason why Sprint blows the other competitors away on TOTAL COST of OWNERSHIP??

This last cost comparison between carriers should make folks stop crying:
Nexus One vs iPhone, Droid & Palm Pre ? Total Cost of Ownership

You guys crack me up - I can't wait to hear the rationalization when the new iPhone throws in a $20 up-phone charge - you guys would eat it up and probably give Apple a $5 tip to boot just to use it. lol.

lanenubia

May 21, 2010
Visit site
$10 with Sprint would be $30 with any other carrier

First I'm sorry for the rant ahead of time...

If the Evo was being released to AT&T, Verizon or T-Mobile the Smart Phone data package would be $30 extra a month.

So get over it and let be grateful that Sprint didn't follow there lead.

If you are going to complain over $10 you shouldn?t get the phone. I'm so tired of reading on every other forum that you won't get the phone because of this. You know what I bet you will get the phone. I bet you have already preordered the phone. So stop crying, and grow some.

Ok all done....had to get that out....I preordered my EVO at 10am at my local Best Buy wooohoooo go EVO!!

Wow -- It took 6 pages of posts to get here but finally a voice of reason. Sprint is the only carrier doing its best to keep prices down for the customer while still turning a profit and providing innovative devices. I think the $10 premium sends a good message to the other carriers. "Stop charging $30 premiums for your smartphone plans!" I am in a non-4g area and probably always will be, but I will proudly pay the extra $10 for the EVO. It would have been $30 with any other carrier.

skullsdontfade

May 16, 2010
Visit site
i understand, accept, and i'm happy to pay the addition $10. with all the capabilities of the device, i have no doubt that i'll be sucking up some serious bandwidth.

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
i understand, accept, and i'm happy to pay the addition $10. with all the capabilities of the device, i have no doubt that i'll be sucking up some serious bandwidth.

I guess you didn't realize you are already paying for an "everything" plan that is supposed to have "unlimited" data already, and the $10 charge is on top of that plan.

skullsdontfade

May 16, 2010
Visit site
brett636: believe me, I understand what I'm paying for. But at the end of the day, it's $10. That's nothing. I don't care. I'm not gonna cry baby about it, I'm not gonna NOT get the phone. If you're that concerned, skip a lunch, a pack of smokes, a drink at the bar. I don't see the big deal. Change to a different carrier and see what a comparable plan will cost you.

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I know its about the principle but the sad part is most people wouldn't hesitate to spend $10 at a bar for two beers in one hr and go home and have nothing to show for it but a buzz. So in the end the results are ten dollars down the toilet.

Last edited:

anish3232

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
At least it is better to pay the $10 instead of making everyone change plans to a more expensive plan. Kind of like what they did for the instinct and PRE, you had to be on a everything data plan. They could have made a Everything Data Plan 4G required for all 4G phones. Starting at 99 a month and family plans starting at 149.

StayFly

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
i didn't realize there was a extra $10 until the radioshack rep told me that. I said why would i pay for a 4g service when my city doesn't have it yet so thats dumb on sprints end.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I live in Detroit and it appears we're in no danger of getting 4G until well into 2011, if then, so it blow for me, especially since I don't travel anywhere that is covered either. With my company discount and insurance, I'll probably end up paying ~$73/mo. for service which is a write-off for me anyways. What blows goats is the $30 hot spot fee when Verizon gives it away for the Pre for free and Froyo will make it a standard feature. I can see them backing down from that charge before the 4G fee.

blupit30

May 21, 2010
Visit site
look ppl its very simple, its 10 f'n bucks! if you dont like it move to a less than stellar network and see what you pay for unlimited everything.
8mp pix, video, streaming, video chat, all of these will be more data no matter if your 3g or 4g. its device specific not coverage specific, read b4 you post or rant about 10 dollars. and no one else has this device.
i dont plan on using the hotspot service so its a 10 dollar a month addage. not a big deal. take the hd2 ( the sister phone of the evo) and see what it cost you on t mobile for everything! then bitch about the 10 dollars that sprint HAS to charge.
i look forward to seeing what the android market has to offer for me. im currently web os. my eyes are open and look forward to the best device on the best network.

pre ordered my evo on 5-18 10 @ the shack.

Last edited:

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
look ppl its very simple, its 10 f'n bucks! if you dont like it move to a less than stellar network and see what you pay for unlimited everything.
8mp pix, video, streaming, video chat, all of these will be more data no matter if your 3g or 4g. its device specific not coverage specific, read b4 you post or rant about 10 dollars. and no one else has this device.
i dont plan on using the hotspot service so its a 10 dollar a month addage. not a big deal. take the hd2 ( the sister phone of the evo) and see what it cost you on t mobile for everything! then bitch about the 10 dollars that sprint HAS to charge.
i look forward to seeing what the android market has to offer for me. im currently web os. my eyes are open and look forward to the best device on the best network.

pre ordered my evo on 5-18 10 @ the shack.

You really should read some of my prior posts where I proved how Sprint has an inferior network even with 4g when compared to Verizon or AT&T in terms of features and abilities. Now they want to charge us for a service most of us cannot use. Atleast if someone is paying more for AT&T or Verizon they are getting more versus with Sprint they are paying more and not receiving anything new in terms of service. If someone really wants to save money they can buy an unsubsidized T-mobile HD2 and get their $59.99/month plan and you can come out head versus buying a subsidized EVO with the extra fee. I will gladly pay $10 a month for 4g service. Until I get that service I should not have to pay for it.

kjparfekt

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Are you really going to add the phone to all your lines?

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying it represents a 50% increase in cost for someone that would be getting it that's an add a line on a family plan like myself.

Basically Sprint messed up. When I have a change in life circumstance and am not on a family plan any longer the little things like this will be why I go with another carrier.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11