Poll: Whose turned off by the $10 buy up for the Evo?

Are you turned off by the $10 buy up

• Total voters

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
if you look back , you seem to be the 1 of few who actually gripe about the 10 dollars. you sound like a fan boy to me. what i will miss about my pre is the brotherhood. the pre community is awesome. everyone working together for a common goal , make the phone better. and here we have ppl tearing down a phone they dont even have their hands on yet to even make a valid point.

web os seems to be the best os out but lousy hardware and stupid ppl making decisions about the platform. i come to android to see what it has , because of the evo. cant say i was even interested b4. seems to me you should either jump on board and push for a common goal, or continue to be a fan boy and bash that which you do not understand. and you cant understand it cause you were not one of the lucky few to get one early. or you would have proof of something to back up your bashing.
for those of us who understand the jist of what the 10 dollars is for , we keep an open mind until we have the evo in hand to see what it does specifically for us.
if you had proof maybe it wouldnt be so bad , but all you are doing is bashing other ppl's thought and feelings about the evo and the 10 dollars THEY WILL BE PAYING.

I am simply one of the few who did go the extra steps contacting Sprint about my distaste for their $10 waste of a fee only to be contacted by Sprint to have my precious time wasted for them to reiterate their marketing talking points. Thoughts and feelings are great, but lets look at this from a logical perspective. Our plans are called "everything" plans for a reason. They are supposed to include "everything", but now they are becoming "everything but" without a good explanation. Without 4g there is nothing "premium" about this phone. All its applications and functions use data just like all other phones, and that data should fall under the "unlimited" data plan. Phones that aren't 4g capable, but can do many, if not all the functions of an EVO don't get this charge. So inessence you are paying $10 to Sprint so they can get someone else service. I simply do not believe in that. I suppose you and many other people here do, but its apparent you all either lack a spine, or are very poor in managing money. I just want to pay for the service that I will receive, not pay for someone else's access to a network that I won't see this year and probably next.

wase4711

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Well, marketing people being what they are, can somehow justify anything and everything..just look at all the "fine print" on EVERY TV commercial now a days, and there is always some sort of disclaimer about what the commercial just told you 5 seconds earlier..."Everything" doesn't REALLY mean EVERYTHING, "UNLIMITED" doesnt REALLY mean Unlimited, "BEST", doesn't REALLY mean best, and so on and so forth..
Its a pitfall of our new society, but, you can NEVER believe what you hear or see from any corporation anymore; you MUST always read the fine print, and "exceptions"..
And, as much as I agree that you should NOT be charging people in non 4G cites for 4G service, I guess the argument can be made about what happens if you TRAVEL to a 4G city, or, if your city becomes 4G soon..
All I can say is that here in America, we vote with our CHECKBOOKS, and if you dont like the rules or policies at Sprint, then don't use their products or services...

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Well, marketing people being what they are, can somehow justify anything and everything..just look at all the "fine print" on EVERY TV commercial now a days, and there is always some sort of disclaimer about what the commercial just told you 5 seconds earlier..."Everything" doesn't REALLY mean EVERYTHING, "UNLIMITED" doesnt REALLY mean Unlimited, "BEST", doesn't REALLY mean best, and so on and so forth..
Its a pitfall of our new society, but, you can NEVER believe what you hear or see from any corporation anymore; you MUST always read the fine print, and "exceptions"..
And, as much as I agree that you should NOT be charging people in non 4G cites for 4G service, I guess the argument can be made about what happens if you TRAVEL to a 4G city, or, if your city becomes 4G soon..
All I can say is that here in America, we vote with our CHECKBOOKS, and if you dont like the rules or policies at Sprint, then don't use their products or services...

I got that same response from a talking head in Dan's office about traveling to 4g cities as a reason as to why I should pay this $10 fee. To me that was Sprint admitting this a 4g charge. The argument is weak because what they are telling me is I get to pay all year for a service that I may use 2-3 days in that same year, but other people who live in those markets get to use this service everyday, all year and pay the same price? BS.

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Im disappointed in the hotspot fee, I could care less about the $10. The 4G will eventually be in my area its not a dealbreaker. However I bad on Sprint's part to make us pay for wifi tethering at $30 monthly when att & tmobile are free. I guess it could be worse.

original00

May 13, 2010
Visit site
You may want to check your sources on ATT and TMO offering free wifi tethering. The only carrier offering free tethering is Verizon on the pre plus.

MrLogan13

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
So why complain? You obviously feel that you are morally and intellectually superior to those of us who have or will own this phone (i.e. spineless and inability to manage money, in your words). Just don't get the phone and you won't be faced with the $10 up charge.

kennif88

May 28, 2010
Visit site
i actually live in a 4g supported city (philadelphia) and the 4g is so spotty that paying $10 for it is ridiculous. I can't imagine how people who don't live in a 4g supported city would feel about paying for something they won't have anytime soon.

sandewest

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I got that statement from a Sprint rep in store...
I didn't find out about the extra $10 fee until I called Sprint to make sure I wouldn't have to change my plan for the EVO, and when I call Sprint I call the disconnect department so that I don't have to repeat my question a thousand times, which normally I get all that I need from that department. I was assured by the rep that the $10 was only for the "premium data" so that we would not be limited on the use of data.

sandewest

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I didn't find out about the extra $10 fee until I called Sprint to make sure I wouldn't have to change my plan for the EVO, and when I call Sprint I call the disconnect department so that I don't have to repeat my question a thousand times, which normally I get all that I need from that department. I was assured by the rep that the $10 was only for the "premium data" so that we would not be limited on the use of data.

sandewest

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi, all. I've been lurking for a while, but just joined because of the EVO!!! Anyway, I think a better pricing scheme would have been a flat $25 over and above the plan price for 4G AND hotspot. I think a LOT more people would be ok with this, since you get it all for $25 instead of $40...
I beg to differ - I for one do not want the hotspot so why would I want to pay to have both when I won't use it. I don't mind paying the $10 because I feel that it's not just for the 4G.

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
You obviously feel that you are morally and intellectually superior to those of us who have or will own this phone (i.e. spineless and inability to manage money, in your words).

While this is evidently true, I just get annoyed when Sprint pisses on your head and tells you its rain, and all everyone here can do is look up and say "Oh it must be raining!"

Gameboy70

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi, all. I've been lurking for a while, but just joined because of the EVO!!! Anyway, I think a better pricing scheme would have been a flat $25 over and above the plan price for 4G AND hotspot. I think a LOT more people would be ok with this, since you get it all for $25 instead of $40...
I could stomach the $40 if I could add the Overdrive to the package. When I'm at home, I'd rather not tax my Evo's battery to get my computer on 4G. I'm willing to pay for the hardware, or even rent it -- just let me share the connection on one bill.

As it stands, I'll pony up the extra $10 without protest, use Froyo's native tethering from mobile laptop connectivity, and continue to use my current DSL service at home.

blupit30

May 21, 2010
Visit site
While this is evidently true, I just get annoyed when Sprint pisses on your head and tells you its rain, and all everyone here can do is look up and say "Oh it must be raining!"

you are with out a doubt what is wrong with forums all over the internet. its ppl like you that we dont want or need on here. only thing you are superior at is being a douche. i really hope you dont get an evo because you dont deserve to have such a device. so why not take your fanboy ass back to the icrap. we dont want or need your kind here! you are an idiot sir.

and i would bet that 99% of ppl here would agree with me on this.

bnrbranding

May 31, 2010
Visit site
They can call it anything they want, I don't care. On my 2 lines I blast through 3000+ minutes, hundreds of texts, and gigs of data every month. With my corp discount I am paying $114 including taxes. No way am I going to go to another network just so I can pay more money for an inferior phone.