Any chance of Sprint backtracking on hotspot/4G fees?

fry8

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
i understand they want to try to make as much money as possible with this phone but i sincerely believe that the amount of people that will be turned off by this fee, they will actually loose sales. for those of us in non 4g areas, this is just a highly specced phone that will use data very similarly to the hero or the moment. just cause my processor is faster doesnt mean im watching way more video, or uploading way more.

and salesmen in non 3g areas good luck. i can imagine the sales pitch now "heres the evo, it is a very nice phone and it has 4g, but you cant use it, we are still gonna charge you ten extra dollars a month though. you should definitely buy this"

Lol thanks. Im a sprint retail store rep and we have 4g in many of the surrounding areas where I work, but we don't actually have 4g at our store so we can't demo it and many of the customers that come to buy phones may not live in a 4g area, so it's going to be somewhat of a hard pitch, but at least 4g isn't too far away. But I do feel bad for the reps who live in an area that doesn't have 4g and/or don't have 4g service scheduled to come to their area. This is why I am annoyed by the $10 charge especially. I get enough customers complaining about prices, upgrade fees, and the like. We're in a recesssion/depression charging more is going to drive away customers. Our mantra is "the best value in wireless" now the best value in wireless just got worse.

fry8

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Do you recall anything like that ever happening?

Actually I think they did backtrac the extra $10 charge for the 4g aircards. The 4g aircards were supposed to be $69.99, but they came out as $59.99. I did comment on your post before stating that sprint hasn't charged extra from going from 2g to 3g, but I believe you meant has sprint backtracked an extra fee before. I hope this clarifies things.

emeraldayotte

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
First off, I am not in a 4g area or an area getting 4g. So basically I would be paying $10 a month extra to Sprint for no extra service. Sure on a monthly cost basis Sprint is still cheaper, but their competitors can justify why they cost more. Verizon has a huge network that covers a lot of places, and AT&T you can do voice and data at the same time not to mention you can have the all mighty iphone which is a big plus in my book. It looks like T-mobile is really upgrading their network to support data speeds that equal or surpass Sprint's 4g network. So why am I paying an extra $10 a month? For nothing more than to let Sprint and the other carriers know they can add all the fees they want to my bill and I won't care. Well, I do care, and I will refuse to pay for it. I want the latest and greatest smartphone when I get a new phone, and it looks like for me that is going to be an iphone, HD2, or Incredible. Sprint has lost me as a customer.

And again I say you switching to get an iPhone, HD2 or Incredible will cost you MORE still for 3G than if you stayed with Sprint and the Evo.

So why the need to switch? :confused:

DocLee

May 14, 2010
Visit site
And again I say you switching to get an iPhone, HD2 or Incredible will cost you MORE still for 3G than if you stayed with Sprint and the Evo.

I think your Tmobile calculation is off a bit. If you go with the unsubsidized plan, and compare straight included minutes, you can do a $59.99 plan for 500 minutes, nights+weekends, data, text, mobile-to-mobile. I think that's a bit better comparison than to slap the $40 in additional charges (unlimited data and text) on there. Running the totals:

EVO4G (Sprint):
$199.99
+
$79.99 * 24
$2119.75

HD2 (Tmobile):
$449.99
+
$59.99 * 24
$1889.75

The HD2 in this case would be the better bargain if comparing straight included anytime, anywhere minutes by $230 over 2 years, or if you want to put it another way, basically the additional cost of 24 months of 4G coverage ($10 a month) minus one month.

But, that's beside the point. The question is can Sprint charge a fee for a service that they knowingly acknowledge that some people won't be able to use given the extremely limited market penetration of the 4G service? Think of it this way. Let's say AT&T provides satellite TV service (Direct TV). However, in order to get TV service with them, they are also going to charge me for DSL internet. But, they don't offer DSL internet in my area. Should they still be allowed to charge me for DSL internet even though they know I would never be able to use it because of lack of service on their part? The same situation applies here. Through no fault of the customer, Sprint is charging an additional $10 a month for a service that they know the majority of their customers will not be able to take advantage of. You can't charge me to mow my lawn and then not mow my lawn just because you are not available.

After spending a lot of time on the phone with Sprint today talking about it with various people, I hope they do the right thing and not charge customers the $10 premium data where premium data (i.e. 4G) is not available. If not, then this sounds like a case for the FCC. I've already got my forms filled out.

You can download an FCC form at:

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/Form2000B.pdf

And email the form to fccinfo@fcc.gov

Or you can use the online form at:

FCC Online form

Doc

fry8

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
I think your Tmobile calculation is off a bit. If you go with the unsubsidized plan, and compare straight included minutes, you can do a $59.99 plan for 500 minutes, nights+weekends, data, text, mobile-to-mobile. I think that's a bit better comparison than to slap the $40 in additional charges (unlimited data and text) on there. Running the totals:

EVO4G (Sprint):
$199.99
+
$79.99 * 24
$2119.75

HD2 (Tmobile):
$449.99
+
$59.99 * 24
$1889.75

The HD2 in this case would be the better bargain if comparing straight included anytime, anywhere minutes by $230 over 2 years, or if you want to put it another way, basically the additional cost of 24 months of 4G coverage ($10 a month) minus one month.

But, that's beside the point. The question is can Sprint charge a fee for a service that they knowingly acknowledge that some people won't be able to use given the extremely limited market penetration of the 4G service? Think of it this way. Let's say AT&T provides satellite TV service (Direct TV). However, in order to get TV service with them, they are also going to charge me for DSL internet. But, they don't offer DSL internet in my area. Should they still be allowed to charge me for DSL internet even though they know I would never be able to use it because of lack of service on their part? The same situation applies here. Through no fault of the customer, Sprint is charging an additional $10 a month for a service that they know the majority of their customers will not be able to take advantage of. You can't charge me to mow my lawn and then not mow my lawn just because you are not available.

After spending a lot of time on the phone with Sprint today talking about it with various people, I hope they do the right thing and not charge customers the $10 premium data where premium data (i.e. 4G) is not available. If not, then this sounds like a case for the FCC. I've already got my forms filled out.

You can download an FCC form at:

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/Form2000B.pdf

And email the form to fccinfo@fcc.gov

Or you can use the online form at:

FCC Online form

Doc

I don't agree with the extra $10 charge, but the fcc won't do anything about that. They aren't charging you $10 for 4g, it's $10 for the "premium data pack" which allows you unlimited internet (no cap). Sprint can charge whatever they like as long as they aren't directly selling you something you aren't getting. They aren't charging you for 4g directly, they're charging you for the "premium data pack."

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site

Quite simple really. I don't believe in junk fees, and the $10 charge is a junk fee. I am already paying for "unlimited data" so this "premium data charge" really has no basis other than something for Sprint to use to spread 4g to areas other than where I live. I have no interest in subsidizing someone else's 4g network. Either get me 4g coverage or don't charge me the fee. Its just that simple.

DocLee

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I don't agree with the extra $10 charge, but the fcc won't do anything about that. They aren't charging you $10 for 4g, it's $10 for the "premium data pack" which allows you unlimited internet (no cap). Sprint can charge whatever they like as long as they aren't directly selling you something you aren't getting. They aren't charging you for 4g directly, they're charging you for the "premium data pack."

You said it yourself in the poll thread on the topic. The premium data pack is basically a 4G surcharge. It may not be a direct charge for 4G by the language. But it *is* a surcharge on 4G. This is exactly the type of situation that the FCC would get involved in especially with their recent foray into wireless billing practices.

Doc

kjparfekt

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I was hesitant to leave my Pre for $200 when it does everything I want just for a little speed, bigger screen and wow factor. But this extra $10 means I'd be paying closer to $440 after 2 years of $10 a month charges. I'm not going to do it. I was the biggest Evo supporter just 2 months ago when it was announced and now I won't be getting it. Sprint is really messing up here. Only way I'll adopt now is a few months after it's been out when the price drops and there is no $10 a month fee. No wow factor at that point but it be a solid phone. Sprint messed up AGAIN!!!

emeraldayotte

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I was hesitant to leave my Pre for $200 when it does everything I want just for a little speed, bigger screen and wow factor. But this extra $10 means I'd be paying closer to $440 after 2 years of $10 a month charges. I'm not going to do it. I was the biggest Evo supporter just 2 months ago when it was announced and now I won't be getting it. Sprint is really messing up here. Only way I'll adopt now is a few months after it's been out when the price drops and there is no $10 a month fee. No wow factor at that point but it be a solid phone. Sprint messed up AGAIN!!!

Well I disagree but everyone's allowed their opinon. I still see this as the cheapest and best smartphone deal being offered by any carrier. I don't mind helping investing in more 4G coverage and still be able to brag to my iPhone and Incredible friends how much cheaper my plan is and what I can do with it.

To each his (or her) own. Evo here I come!

yazman666

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
they would have save all this mess just announcing an specific plan for the evo at 79.99 and thats it there was no need to alter the hive with all this "extra $10" u got a lot to learn sprint.....

Tyler Durden

May 14, 2010
Visit site
even with the $10 fee, it's STILL cheaper than ANY other carriers plan...
I'm on the $99 everything plan and an extra $10 isn't going to break me..... sorry, but you people are just whining over nothing.
if it's so bad, then just leave Sprint... I'm sure at&t or VZW would be glad to have you.. and then you'll really have something to bitch about.

dkotoric

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Sorry but I still dont understand why folks are so upset by this. I don't currently have 4G and am not bothered at all by $10 upcharge for the Evo.

The plan is still comparable to plans for all the other hotphones out right now.

Evo: (Sprint)
450 mins - 69.99
unlimited messaging - included
unlimited data - included
visual voicemail - included
Evo 4G fee - 10.00
total - $79.99

iPhone: (AT&T)
450 mins - 39.99
data plan - 30.00
unlimited messaging - 20.00
AT&T Navigator - 9.99
total - $99.98

Incredible: (Verizon)
450 mins - 59.99
unlimited messaging - included
data plan - 29.99
visual voicemail - 2.99
VZ Navigator - (?)
total - $92.97

HD2: (T-Mobile)
unlimited mins - 59.99
unlimited messaging - 10.00
data plan - 30.00
visual voicemail - included
GPS - (?)
total - 99.99

The Sprint plan is still comparable with all the other carriers which don't offer 4G in any markets currently. Also I can't see there NOT being an upcharge once 4G rolls out.

Ya but you are assuming everyone needs those features.

What if I only want minutes and data, I can actually get every other carrier cheaper then sprint. Think aobut that. Besides Voice/Data/Text most people don't need any of the other stuff and why would any customer even consider paying for GPS on Android when the best navigation app is Google Maps, which is free with android. I currently own a Hero and have never used Sprints Navigation, and I have no reason to next to Google Maps.

fry8

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
You said it yourself in the poll thread on the topic. The premium data pack is basically a 4G surcharge. It may not be a direct charge for 4G by the language. But it *is* a surcharge on 4G. This is exactly the type of situation that the FCC would get involved in especially with their recent foray into wireless billing practices.

Doc

Like I said in my last post I agree, but they can justify it by saying well you do get unlimited data vs the standard 5gb. They can also use it to justify it by saying that because you pay for the evo, those $10 we get we can build the 4g network with. The government is in no way responsible for telling sprint what they can and can not charge for (as long as it's not fraud), if you don't like it go to some other carrier that has a 4g network for a cheaper price. Although that's what the spirit of the law is as well as the letter of the law, recently in the past 20 years, the laws/constitution have exceedingly been obliterated. So while I don't agree with it, the FCC really can't do anything about that.

emeraldayotte

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

What if I only want minutes and data, I can actually get every other carrier cheaper then sprint. Think aobut that. Besides Voice/Data/Text most people don't need any of the other stuff and why would any customer even consider paying for GPS on Android when the best navigation app is Google Maps, which is free with android. I currently own a Hero and have never used Sprints Navigation, and I have no reason to next to Google Maps.

Remove the visual voicemail or navigation plan from those and they'll still be more expensive than Sprint. Plus it's a positive that more is added with Sprint than with the other carriers.

fry8

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site

Lol. If You've never used sprint nav how do yo know that google maps is the best nav app? Anyway you should try sprint nav, it's much better than google maps. Google maps is good for looking up things on a map and addresses, but for turn by turn directions, sprint nav is awsome.

djfrankny

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I have the everything 450 plan, and everyone i know not with sprint don't get as much as i do for the price. even with the $10/month, it's still cheaper. I'm just going to wait until 4G comes to metro ny before getting my evo 4g.

Bigfire

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Does Android have Tweetme in their app catolog? Just tweeted Sprint and added @EverythingEVO to my follow list. All that from Palm Pre that I have been mostly happy with, but just need a better battery, and if nothing else, a more stable platform for the next year while the dust around WebOS settles. I've never had Android and am not sold on it being better than WebOS, but of course it is more stable at this point, and this will be much better hardware than my Pre.

Will probably upgrade at Best Buy with their trade in program ($113 value leaving me a very reasonable cost for such a crazy device!) in July when I am eligible, but am not too happy that I will have to root to get tethering access. Not something I will use a whole lot so not paying extra for it.

emeraldayotte

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I currently own a Hero and have never used Sprints Navigation, and I have no reason to next to Google Maps.

Not going to cost anything extra and it's by FAR a better turn-by-turn solution than Google Maps (at least on Android 1.5).

Lol. If You've never used sprint nav how do yo know that google maps is the best nav app? Anyway you should try sprint nav, it's much better than google maps. Google maps is good for looking up things on a map and addresses, but for turn by turn directions, sprint nav is awsome.

Can't imagine being without my Sprint Navigation!

Fitz1015

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Sprint Navigation blows big a$$ donkey balls. i live in the Pittsburgh area and it gets me lost every time. tried to go to the zoo. i got the nice you have arrived and your destination. I was in the ghetto, where did i turn to my google maps on the palm pre and that sucks on the pre. going on vacation please take exit 12 driving and i passed exit 6 and its telling me i missed the exited. From that point on i only use google maps on my pre. never again will i try sprint navigation. i even called sprint and was like this sh!t sucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781