Any chance of Sprint backtracking on hotspot/4G fees?

Josh K

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Anyone think there is a chance that Sprint will back down on either the optional hotspot charge or the mandatory $10 fee? Or at least lower them?

hockey4life0099

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
well i hope so. i dont see the average consumer being too excited to hear they have to pay ten dollars more a month than they would for say, the hero.i think the non techies will just say no, as i am now considering myself.

fry8

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Do you recall anything like that ever happening?

No I do not. It doesn't make sense becuase one can get a 4g aircard at the same price as a 3g card and they're both $59.99. If one has 4g they will most likely use more data as well than a 3g card, so the arguement that if you have 4g you will use more data is non sense. 4g is cheaper, and it is meant for heavy data traffic so it shouldn't put a burden on the network.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
No I do not. It doesn't make sense becuase one can get a 4g aircard at the same price as a 3g card and they're both $59.99. If one has 4g they will most likely use more data as well than a 3g card, so the arguement that if you have 4g you will use more data is non sense. 4g is cheaper, and it is meant for heavy data traffic so it shouldn't put a burden on the network.

If I remember correctly, Mr. Hesse said that 4G won't cost anymore. I think that is actually true and this is just a marketing spin on words. Since Sprint is expecting us to heavily use data with this phone, they are making it mandatory for us to sign up with this premium data plan. The premium part of that plan doesn't seem to be the 4G part, but instead is the truly unlimited, no data cap part. 5Gb probably won't last long with a user that really puts is Evo through its paces.

So, in essence, he wasn't lying, it's just that we all assumed that the 4G part was the premium part when they really meant the no data cap as being the premium part.

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Right, but with my pre I barely use more than 500MB on my heaviest of months because I am on Wifi 90% of the time, as are most tech people. Unless you travel a lot and are away from Wifi at work/school/home you aren't going to rack up that much data.

And if you do, have the option to add a $10 unlimited package onto your existing plan. It is very simple, as it is right now, I don't have access to 4G, and I don't use much data, so I am basically out $10 for no reason.

fry8

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Ya all they would have to do is do the same thing they did with the aricards. Keep the 5gp cap on 3g and have unlimited on 4g for the same price. If you are going over the 3g then one can get the unlimited 3g for $10.

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Ya all they would have to do is do the same thing they did with the aricards. Keep the 5gp cap on 3g and have unlimited on 4g for the same price. If you are going over the 3g then one can get the unlimited 3g for $10.

Exactly. Then everyone is happy. I think Sprint will get a lot more customers this way too.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Right, but with my pre I barely use more than 500MB on my heaviest of months because I am on Wifi 90% of the time, as are most tech people. Unless you travel a lot and are away from Wifi at work/school/home you aren't going to rack up that much data.

And if you do, have the option to add a $10 unlimited package onto your existing plan. It is very simple, as it is right now, I don't have access to 4G, and I don't use much data, so I am basically out $10 for no reason.

I didn't say that I liked what they did, but that is my interpretation of what Dan promised us. Slightly misleading...

But tell me bud, are you still gonna get one? You better say yes! :)

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Let me put it to you all this way. I have been forking over money to Sprint every month since March of 2001 for their service. On June 20th of this year that will end if they don't backtrack on this. That is a promise.

avacomputers

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Let me put it to you all this way. I have been forking over money to Sprint every month since March of 2001 for their service. On June 20th of this year that will end if they don't backtrack on this. That is a promise.

You'd rather pay more elsewhere for 3g, than pay more for 4g with sprint?

dkotoric

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I think sprint is way over their head with this. I think they really expect this phone to sell and most of us tech users will buy it but for the average consumer (which is the majority) the phone is simply to big and they will not buy especially now knowing that it will cost them more. I know already 3 people that wanted to buy the Evo and because of the $10 fee they are no longer interested which is sad for sprint. They were already on the verge becasue of the size but still wanted to get them. Two of them own iphones and one is already with sprint. The 2 iphone users main reason to switch over was bc of the price but now they say its the same as att cause neather use text messeging so they will just get the 4th gen iphone. The sprint user has a Sero plan with sprint and was willing to drop the plan for the Evo but also said not interested anymore becasue of the $10 fee. Stupid Sprint.