Wow. Is this normal? i'm getting fed up....

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Well, i am about to get my wifes EVO 4G replaced for the FOURTH time in 2 months. Each phones she gets starts doing the same crap. Randomly reboots and half the time gets stuck in a bootloop (the white evo 4G screen). It does it regardless of what shes doing. It happens when shes web browsing, texting, on the the phone talking, hell it did it a few times while her phone was just laying on the table doing nothing. Each phone ive done multiple resets. It's not a rogue app issue as one time it rebooted on me while I was trying to sync up her google acct. I didn't even get to install any apps. I've went through 3 different batteries including a known good battery, my original stock battery (I use the extended). Said battery works flawlessly in my phone so its not the batt. I also disable the "fast boot" option as I heard that can cause issues. Never fixed the issue. Should also mention none of her phones have ever been rooted or anything.

Anyway.... took it to sprint store and the repair tech agreed that bootlooping wasn't normal but he said that occasional random reboots while on the phone or texting etc are normal. WTF!?! How in the world can this be considered NORMAL!?! If I knew buying this phone that it occasionally rebooting and becoming useless for certain times of the day was part of having it, I would have never bought it. I strongly disagree with him as my EVO 4G, over a year old now, works and has worked flawlessly. Granted I'm rooted and running CM7, but even before I did that I never had issues with it.

What do you guys think I should do? My wife is pregnant and as it stands, all her refurb crap replacements are unreliable devices. I'm really quite tired of paying for a monthly service that one of us basically can't get much use out of thanks to shoddy device replacements.

User One

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
This is NOT normal and the tech needs to be punched in the face. This is a known issue with the Evo. I went thru the same crap about 6 months ago with mine. Had to get it replaced, and the tight wads still made me go thru Asurion and pay the $100 deductable for a refurb! Good thing the refurb works, but the wi fi is all screwed up on it....it won't stay connected. And of course they can't "duplicate it" at the Sprint store, but as soon as I leave the store, it acts up again....smh

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk.

dwelder

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
The tech that told you this was normal is an idiot. I don't have this problem with my Evo. I have quite a few apps ranging from various categories. I also stopped using the HTC Sence Launcher because it keep rebooting after using apps such as Dolphin Browser or Angry Birds. So I downloaded GoLauncher Ex and I don't have those problems anymore. I might root my phone but I haven't decided yet.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Sorry....not normal. Had my EVO since launch day in June 2010.

I'm rooted but never had that issue before I was, nor after. Ok, I think it's rebooted maybe two or three times total, but certainly nothing like you're describing.

Sorry you're having bad luck.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
As I stated in my first post I've done several factory resets over all 3 replacement devices. Did nothing. Sprint tech even did a "special " reset . By which I believe he went into a recovery and wiped /flashed the rom versus the factory reset option in android . That had no effect either . I'll be going back up there tomorrow and they better give me some good answers.

HamRadioNut

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
What you are seeing is Gingerbread Crap....I have a stock evo 4g with 2.2 still on it and i'm not having ANY problems what so ever with my phone.....:)

denisew1972

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
My phone does the exact same thing.... and now it won't even send/ pictures via text messages. I've got until next year (Dec. 1st) until my upgrade comes through.... talk about not happy. Getting ready to use My Backup Pro and back it all up and hard reset/ wipe it. If it helps, even for a little while, I'd be willing to just keep backing up and resetting to get it to work right for the next year. Wish me luck... LOL

tsak6789

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
You're all liars!
Well according to the rep at HTC I spoke to it's only happening to me, and it's all my fault. Even though I told her again, and again that I know a lot of people having the same issue. She just about called me a liar.
I can't wait till May so I can get a Samsung.

Reactions: User One

barakisbrown

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
It is not normal and contrary to what other people are saying gingerbread actually works on mine. I am running the latest miui and had no issues except being dropped once.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
As an update to everyone. I took it back and basicly b****ed them out. They decided to swap out her EVO 4G for an EVO 3D. Fine...as long as she gets a working phone. I thought all was well until this evening. Yet another piece of s**t refurb. Exactly what do they do to "refurbish" these phones? Because to me they just seem like phones returned because they didn't work, repackaged, and given to others again. Her EVO 3D displays a bunch of vertical green lines when using the camera. Video, stills, 2D 3D, it doesnt matter. The issue is present when looking to take the image, and on the image itself. Obviously this particular phone has a bad image sensor on it. WTF!?!?!?!? Anyone have any luck getting sprint to give you a NEW out of the box phone NOT A REFURB? cause these refurbs are all garbage!!!

denisew1972

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
As an update to everyone. I took it back and basicly b****ed them out. They decided to swap out her EVO 4G for an EVO 3D. Fine...as long as she gets a working phone. I thought all was well until this evening. Yet another piece of s**t refurb. Exactly what do they do to "refurbish" these phones? Because to me they just seem like phones returned because they didn't work, repackaged, and given to others again. Her EVO 3D displays a bunch of vertical green lines when using the camera. Video, stills, 2D 3D, it doesnt matter. The issue is present when looking to take the image, and on the image itself. Obviously this particular phone has a bad image sensor on it. WTF!?!?!?!? Anyone have any luck getting sprint to give you a NEW out of the box phone NOT A REFURB? cause these refurbs are all garbage!!!

I had to go through Assurion , pay the $100 and request a new one in the box. I got it. I think it just depends on who you get on the other end of the phone.

Unibrow

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
paying the deductible is NOT a solution. Call corporate and complain, I wouldn't accept anything less than a functioning phone.

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

I had the same vertical line problem on my evo and I had to clear the cache in the camera settings...

I still have the random reboot issue with my evo and it's not rooted and to be honest, it didn't do this when it was rooted but it frooze up when it was rooted and I had to pull the battery.

I'm kinda pissed off, I also can't type accurately and I've had this phone since Jan.

I'm about ready to get a BB and just say to hell with it.

plprudh

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
It could be an app my friend had went Thur the same problem when she installed an apparently on her phone

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

titanoman

Banned
Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

No operator error huh? I just start wondering when people say phone after phone after phone malfunction. And I believe they give you a refurbished phone the second time around you need a replacement. And they are completely gone through before "just handing them back out to the next customer". After all, they really don't want you coming back with more complaints.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Unibrow

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
No operator error huh? I just start wondering when people say phone after phone after phone malfunction. And I believe they give you a refurbished phone the second time around you need a replacement. And they are completely gone through before "just handing them back out to the next customer". After all, they really don't want you coming back with more complaints.

Unless you've personally had experience with refurbs, you can't comment here. My old HTC touch diamond or whatever it was called, had to be returned for a new one around 4 times before I got a functioning one when the 3g radio in my first one decided to stop working. My wife's pre, on her 2nd one it lasted all of about 5 hours before the keyboard stopped working entirely rendering it completely useless and leaving her in a worse off situation than she originally had. My Aunt, who has Verizon, had to have her Global D2 replaced after the headset speaker stopped working. She got a refurb from VZ that had water damage. There is literally no Quality Control when it comes to these refurbs, sprint repair rep even confirmed as much to me when I was dealing with my HTC touch.

titanoman

Banned
Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
The only refurb I ever had was an Optimus T. Again, it was the second time I needed to use the insurance in as many months for the same phone, my fault.
The only way I could tell it was a reburished model was because it came shrunk-wrapped to a piece of cardboard. It looked and acted like a brand-new phone until I upgraded.
And today that phone is making someone else happy. I won't believe there is no quality control. An exaggeration I'm sure.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams