will there be an ICS update for the evo 4g?

weston87

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I was just wondering when ics update rolls out if they will provide an update for the EVO 4G? I know that Sprint is or already has discontinued the EVO 4G but it still would be nice to have ics! Also does anyone think that they will fix the problem with sense?

Last edited:

jleliekelly

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
The are discontinuing production of the EVO 4G- when I heard that I upgraded and did the "buy back" while the price was still up there (87.00) won't take chance on knowing that even if phone blows up the new one wi be someone's of one :/

Rolled out from from my Photon via Tapatalk

Apr 18, 2011
www.tbiwarrior.com
My thoughts on this subject:

First, I'm a big Android OS and EVO fan. This device and OS do everything I need from a mobile device (and better than any other) and I'm really happy with it. It is sad that the devices get on average 2 OS updates. I believe devices should be supported for at least 2 years after release.
For example, comparing to Apple, they launch a new device of each type almost yearly. Regardless of a new device they support their old devices. For example: I have an iPod 3rd Generation since launch (I think about 2 years ago) and it got the recent iOS 5 update. Also, I have an iPad 1st generation and also got the iOS 5 update.
My point, and I prefer Android to iOS, is that we should not be falling behind in technology so early in the game when when the devices are 1.5 years old. The devices should be supported long enough to keep users current until their contract is up. Making faulty updates and the companies paying no attention or attempt to fix the faults is just unacceptable, in my opinion. Rooting should not be the only option to stay current. I think Google is being to quick on evolving and forgeting about their not so old devices.
Like I say, these are just my thoughts and I respect anybody that thinks different.
Thanks.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G

dany8907

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
One big thing to mention here is when it comes to updates its up to the manufacters to push them out to the devices. I'm sure Google has already gave the manufacturers ICS. It's up to the manufacturers to update their phones to the latest Android OS. With all the manufacturers having their own custom skins on top of Android, such as HTC with sense and Samsung with touchwiz, its going to take these manufacturers time to update. But when it comes to the HTC evo it is unlikely that this device will be supported after gingerbread.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

cjg1323

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
My thoughts on this subject:

First, I'm a big Android OS and EVO fan. This device and OS do everything I need from a mobile device (and better than any other) and I'm really happy with it. It is sad that the devices get on average 2 OS updates. I believe devices should be supported for at least 2 years after release.
For example, comparing to Apple, they launch a new device of each type almost yearly. Regardless of a new device they support their old devices. For example: I have an iPod 3rd Generation since launch (I think about 2 years ago) and it got the recent iOS 5 update. Also, I have an iPad 1st generation and also got the iOS 5 update.
My point, and I prefer Android to iOS, is that we should not be falling behind in technology so early in the game when when the devices are 1.5 years old. The devices should be supported long enough to keep users current until their contract is up. Making faulty updates and the companies paying no attention or attempt to fix the faults is just unacceptable, in my opinion. Rooting should not be the only option to stay current. I think Google is being to quick on evolving and forgeting about their not so old devices.
Like I say, these are just my thoughts and I respect anybody that thinks different.
Thanks.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G

I couldn't agree with you more! I also love my HTC Evo!

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Get over the fact that the OG Evo 4G is not the top phone no more. Are you even thinking about what you are saying here? This is the modern world, age of technology, and everything gets out dated easily in a year after release.

You bring up well they should atleast go for the term of 2 years while you are in contract. Well its been 2 years the Evo has been out. Here is the kicker and this probably never occurred to you. Phone manufacturers are playing in the retail business. They can't make 4 products and give them support for 2 years. They would not stay in business. Think about this, not everyone upgrades at the same time, so they have to keep coming out with newer and better things. With the comings of new and better devices that adds the amount of devices they carry and support. They cannot keep updating every device for a soild two years.

I'm just ending this here and ending my rant.

DumpedDuce Approves This Message

deparson

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: will there be an ISC update for the evo 4g?

Of course the EVO 4G could run ICS and it will.

Now, it is highly unlikely that HTC and/or Sprint will allow an official ICS release as they want people to buy new phones rather than upgrade the software on their existing ones. But we need to be clear that there is no specific hardware limitation to the EVO 4G running an ICS build.

You will start to see custom ROMs being build for the EVO in a matter of months; long before most 'current' phones get an official ICS build.

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Of course the EVO 4G could run ICS and it will.

Now, it is highly unlikely that HTC and/or Sprint will allow an official ICS release as they want people to buy new phones rather than upgrade the software on their existing ones. But we need to be clear that there is no specific hardware limitation to the EVO 4G running an ICS build.

You will start to see custom ROMs being build for the EVO in a matter of months; long before most 'current' phones get an official ICS build.

Thank you, my thoughts exactly. :)

dizzle16

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Get over the fact that the OG Evo 4G is not the top phone no more. Are you even thinking about what you are saying here? This is the modern world, age of technology, and everything gets out dated easily in a year after release.

You bring up well they should atleast go for the term of 2 years while you are in contract. Well its been 2 years the Evo has been out. Here is the kicker and this probably never occurred to you. Phone manufacturers are playing in the retail business. They can't make 4 products and give them support for 2 years. They would not stay in business. Think about this, not everyone upgrades at the same time, so they have to keep coming out with newer and better things. With the comings of new and better devices that adds the amount of devices they carry and support. They cannot keep updating every device for a soild two years.

I'm just ending this here and ending my rant.

DumpedDuce Approves This Message

Like you said "this is the real world"...when you pay say $200 for a evo like I did, and sprint $100 a month that's $1400 a year. I pay $160 a month because my wife has nexus s. So were talking close to 2 grand a year right? For 2 grand a year ill ask for what I want to. Dont mean ill get it, but it doesnt hurt to ask. You don't pay my bill and I don't pay yours. These guys have a reason to ask without being talked to like kids. I haven't posted on this thread and have only had my EVO since August but I'll still be buying a ICS device by new year or Feb 1st at latest. New versions of android are the ONLY reason I buy new phones and when I got the EVO my old phone (lg optimus s) was still froyo (I wasn't b/c I rooted it). I don't need anybody to give me a lesson in retail practices or phone industry politics and protocol. How does what a total stranger is "wondering" about affect you? It doesn't. Last I checked nobody pays my bills or purchases my phones for me, so regardless of who approved your "message" I find your whole rant sarcastic and uncalled for.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

Let's hope not.... look what Gingerbread did to it, LOL

Gingerbread runs fantastic on the Evo. Sense is what bogs it down. Need proof? Root your phone and install Naked Gingerbread on it. It will FLY. We'll be getting ICS in a custom ROM unless the devs move on completely. That is possible, but I don;t believe it's probable.

tndank

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site

I don't follow the logic that all phones should be updated immediately. I subscribe to the previously mentioned theory of always having to pump out new devices that are bigger and better. It's a time/resources/marketing decision. Your current phone isn't going to quit working. But, if it's selling well, it'll be on the list.

I prefer this model. Keep turning out new products and pushing each other to build something better. I like being tempted by something coming soon and waiting anxiously for the next great thing to come out. Makes it all that much sweeter when your upgrade comes or you find a good deal for a new phone.

I don't think HTC will ever release ICS for this phone. I bet we start seeing custom ROMS very soon.

I think the Epic will get ICS from Samsung in 2015.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz