05-28-2010 12:41 AM
27 12
tools
    Make sure when you pick up the EVO you get credited for the full amount plus tax. I've spoken with corporate and those of us who were charged tax on the gift card were victims of a programing error.

If you want to be on the safe side I'd contact this lady Coral Biegler <Coral.Biegler@bestbuy.com>
    05-16-2010 11:19 AM
    Make sure when you pick up the EVO you get credited for the full amount plus tax. I've spoken with corporate and those of us who were charged tax on the gift card were victims of a programing error.

If you want to be on the safe side I'd contact this lady Coral Biegler <Coral.Biegler@bestbuy.com>
    Does it matter what state? I thought each state had it's own laws on taxing gift cards.

I'm in California and I pay $54.88 for my $50 gift card.
    05-16-2010 11:21 AM

thanks for this!

coming from ppcgeeks, i would hit a thanks button but its not in the standard spot... (unless I'm missing something?)
    05-16-2010 11:26 AM
    I paid tax, and wondered about that as well. The guy behind the counter didn't know and told me don't worry, I'll get it all on the day I use it.
    05-16-2010 12:14 PM
    yes - but i am pretty sure they will roll over the entire amount back into the phone price. it's a few bucks - don't sweat the small stuff but make sure it gets taken care of at final sale.
    05-16-2010 12:15 PM
    I'm in Oregon, so there's no sales tax here...but the people who have been charged tax say that the tax will be deducted from your purchase price of the phone.
    05-16-2010 12:16 PM
    thanks for this!

coming from ppcgeeks, i would hit a thanks button but its not in the standard spot... (unless I'm missing something?)
    Hmmm. I don't see a thanks button either. I do notice that someone has thanked that post. Maybe you have to have a certain number of posts before it's available. I see you and I both don't have many posts yet.
    05-16-2010 12:43 PM
    In California there's no tax on gift cards, it was a programing error on Best Buys part. Had it not been brought to their attention they would have continued the practice and we wouldn't have gotten that $4.88 credited to our final price. Hey 5 bucks is 5 bucks.

Does it matter what state? I thought each state had it's own laws on taxing gift cards.

I'm in California and I pay $54.88 for my $50 gift card.
    05-16-2010 12:43 PM
    The thanks button is on the bottom of the post at the far right of the quote button.

Hmmm. I don't see a thanks button either. I do notice that someone has thanked that post. Maybe you have to have a certain number of posts before it's available. I see you and I both don't have many posts yet.
    05-16-2010 12:44 PM
    Where??? I still do not see the THANKS button, here is a screen cap...
    05-16-2010 12:51 PM
    The thanks button is on the bottom of the post at the far right of the quote button.
    Hmmm I don't have that. I just have Quote, Multi-Q and QR
    05-16-2010 12:52 PM
    In California there's no tax on gift cards, it was a programing error on Best Buys part. Had it not been brought to their attention they would have continued the practice and we wouldn't have gotten that $4.88 credited to our final price. Hey 5 bucks is 5 bucks.
    Cool. I will make sure I pay close attention to that. You are right. 5 buck is 5 bucks!
    05-16-2010 12:53 PM
    Hmmm I don't have that. I just have Quote, Multi-Q and QR
    Yup it's 10 posts. Once you get 10 posts the Thanks Button appears. Just got it ;-)
    05-16-2010 12:58 PM
    Thanks... I noticed it too and was wondering the same thing. cause the balance on the card says $50.
    05-16-2010 12:59 PM
    Gift card balance comes off the phone price before tax is calculated so you only pay tax on the balance owed.
    05-16-2010 01:14 PM

I just talked to someone at my local Best Buy and he has no idea what I'm talking about. What am I suppose to say when I go in to the store? They don't know of any "glitches" with the pre-order system.
    05-17-2010 09:31 PM
    It should be fixed. I started a thread about it. I pre-ordered last night and was charged a tax. Pre ordered a 2nd phone without tax. Got my tax refunded to me from last nights transaction. Others have pre-ordered today without tax.
    05-17-2010 10:17 PM
    Yes, I need to get this fixed.
    05-17-2010 10:23 PM
    ouch i guess i need to pay a visit back to bestbuy for that fix. i pre-ordered 2 and got charged 109.
    05-18-2010 12:44 AM
    I pre-ordered 2 at best buy but I just realized you need to set up an account with a 2 year contract.Can I redeem the gift cards for something else at best buy before the June 4 release ?
    05-18-2010 11:59 AM
    You could but anywhere you go they are going to require a contract for a discount on the phone price.
    05-18-2010 12:07 PM
    I pre-ordered 2 at best buy but I just realized you need to set up an account with a 2 year contract.Can I redeem the gift cards for something else at best buy before the June 4 release ?
    You can pay full price for the phone as well. Just the price hasn't been determined yet. It is anywhere from $450-$600
    05-18-2010 12:54 PM
    Last week, I filled out the survey on my receipt and addressed this situation. A couple days later, I got a call from the store manage and another from corporate. It seems they've been hit by a number of us. We really aren't their biggest concern. If consumers would have reported this to the individual state tax boards, they would have had to spend a lot of time and money to straighten it out.
    05-18-2010 01:30 PM
    Last week, I filled out the survey on my receipt and addressed this situation. A couple days later, I got a call from the store manage and another from corporate. It seems they've been hit by a number of us. We really aren't their biggest concern. If consumers would have reported this to the individual state tax boards, they would have had to spend a lot of time and money to straighten it out.
    the tax situation will be handled. stay clam, the guy or girl ringing it up didn't program the register and it was a glitch in the system. unless your state requires tax to be charged on giftcards. that would then be something to take up with the state.

as a BBYM employee, my opinions are my own and in no way express the views or opinions of anyone else.
    05-18-2010 01:57 PM
    Today I received a $4.38 check from Best Buy for the tax charged on the pre-order gift card, the big surprise was a$25 BB gift card. I'll be using that on my EVO!
    05-27-2010 10:37 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD