Evo Purchasing FAQ

ls3mach

Banned
May 9, 2010
Visit site
I am tired of reading all of the same damn questions about buying an Evo.

So here it goes:
If you are a Sprint Premier customer you get an upgrade every 12 months. This qualifies you for NEW customer pricing. It is said that it is $150 off, which is technically correct, but it is actually new customer pricing.

Sprint does mail in rebates. 3rd party resellers typically give them instantly. IE Best Buy and Radio Shack give the full discount at the time of purchase.

You CAN buy from Radio Shack or Best Buy even if you are an existing customer. If you are eligible for a full upgrade you will get new customer pricing.

It is not technically allowed for you to buy a phone with a line that is eligible for the discount and then swap it to another line. If you do this and are sending in a MIR you will get denied. It is much easier to pull this trick off if you buy at a thrid party reseller.

$75 off is the standard discount for people who are 1 year into a 2 year agreement, unless that line is Sprint Premier. If you do a $75 off rebate you get $75 off whatever the retail is and do NOT qualify for the MIR or extra instant discounts.

Best Buy and RadioShack are supposed to activate the phone before you are allowed to leave the store. This really effs you if you are trying to swap another lines phone discount. The way I have gotten around this is to tell them it is for a significant other and you are surprising them. If they activate the phone, your S/O will be without a means of communication, it also ruins your surprise. YMMV

This phone is NOT eligible for the legacy SERO plans. As far as I know you do not qualify for the discounts if you are on one of the legacy SERO plans. In other words the "phone swap trick" will not work if you are wanting to keep the legacy SERO plan.

I think I have hit all the key points. I am new to this forum, but it seems most of the people posting questions are new to this type of thing altogether. I have been doing the upgrade curve since my Treo 600 back in 2003. I know the ins and outs of working Sprint and getting maximum rebates and such. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will try and help. If you see something in error let me know.

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
That was actually quite helpful. Nothing that couldn't be found out with some searching, but it's nice to have it all in one place.

I am really thinking about ordering it online (And paying the 300 dollars) just so I can turn it on and activate it myself (Pet peeve I guess). I might try your trick however, we'll see if it works.

Avablink182

May 16, 2010
Visit site
one thing i found wrong with your post is that sprint will let you use an upgrade and switch to a different line it just voids the rebate and you will not get your 100 dollars back but they have no problem switching and when i preordered at best buy the guy told me that using an upgrade and switching to a different line wasnt bad that they do it all the time and it wont be a problem

uh60james

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Any idea if it will work with the Everything Plus Referral Program? The SERO replacement, basically $10 less per month per plan. I dont care if it doesnt but my $10 savings will offset the mandatory $10 add-on. Would be nice

ls3mach

Banned
May 9, 2010
Visit site
one thing i found wrong with your post is that sprint will let you use an upgrade and switch to a different line it just voids the rebate and you will not get your 100 dollars back but they have no problem switching and when i preordered at best buy the guy told me that using an upgrade and switching to a different line wasnt bad that they do it all the time and it wont be a problem

I am pretty sure I stated that. Also it was stated by a BB employee that they were not really supposed to do this. It can be done though with some manuevering.

Any idea if it will work with the Everything Plus Referral Program? The SERO replacement, basically $10 less per month per plan. I dont care if it doesnt but my $10 savings will offset the mandatory $10 add-on. Would be nice

As far as I know yes, but I cannot say for sure as I do not have this type of plan.

n8spangler

May 16, 2010
Visit site
does best buy honor the "premier perks" like the 12 month upgrade? or is this just through sprint (stores,online,telesales) themselves?

n8spangler

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Any 3rd party reseller. Also, RS is offering a $20 credit for accessories. Might I suggest there instead.

i would except that i have a touch pro 2 that im selling to a friend for $200 and he lives right behind a best buy. im meeting him there in the morning!

FREE EVO FOR ME!!!

ls3mach

Banned
May 9, 2010
Visit site
i would except that i have a touch pro 2 that im selling to a friend for $200 and he lives right behind a best buy. im meeting him there in the morning!

FREE EVO FOR ME!!!

It is the same price at Radio Shack, except you get the $20 coupon... Also what are you going to do for a phone for the next 3 weeks? Also, in my experience the fastest way to ESN swap is to call (888) 603-7981. My current record is 1:47.

n8spangler

May 16, 2010
Visit site
It is the same price at Radio Shack, except you get the $20 coupon... Also what are you going to do for a phone for the next 3 weeks? Also, in my experience the fastest way to ESN swap is to call (888) 603-7981. My current record is 1:47.

no, the morning of the 4th. he already gave me the money, i used 50 of it for the pre-order. thanks for the number though, i may need it

edit: 1:47!!! thats insane! i almost want to call and practice to see if i can catch up!

Last edited:

ls3mach

Banned
May 9, 2010
Visit site
no, the morning of the 4th. he already gave me the money, i used 50 of it for the pre-order. thanks for the number though, i may need it

edit: 1:47!!! thats insane! i almost want to call and practice to see if i can catch up!

I am the administrator for about 15 lines, so I have had to make a lot of calls to Sprint. Also, make sure you don't call from a device/line that is not involved in the swap. You will have to get your new phone first as Sprint cannot, as far as I know, have a line with no ESN. Also, it is damn near impossible to get a rep who knows how to get a "dummy" ESN. The number I posted is Sprint Employee Customer Care. Just call, say your number and name and verify the PIN. If they ask if you were transfered to them, just say yes. I like to call the Tier 2 tech, but sometimes their is a que for them. Almost always an answer with 1 ring on the employee line though.

prodigal27

May 17, 2010
Visit site
My renewal isn't available until July 8. Can I buy the phone from Sprint for $499 (full price, no contract) on June 4, return within 30 days and then by for $199 from Sprint or Radio Shack?

ls3mach

Banned
May 9, 2010
Visit site
My renewal isn't available until July 8. Can I buy the phone from Sprint for $499 (full price, no contract) on June 4, return within 30 days and then by for $199 from Sprint or Radio Shack?

Call and ask for them to bump your date. If it is within 14 days they can move it for you.

ls3mach

Banned
May 9, 2010
Visit site
What about the $10 surcharge. Will that be waived if your primary market is not 4G lit yet?

The $10 charge is not for 4G. It is for their "premium" data pack. Take that statement with a grain of salt. This means you will be paying the $10 regardless of whether you reside in 4G coverage. It has been said that the "premium" data takes away the 5GB cap, but the 5GB cap is bogus anyway. Here is my usage for data. It is currently unknown whether the "premium" data adds any other features, such as the Sprint TV+.

apollooff320

May 16, 2010
Visit site
will I be able to get the phone if I add a line to my EPRP family plan? My other two phones on the family plan have been upgraded and aren't elgible for upgrade. Only one will be but not until November so think it's best just to add a line to get the phone.

ls3mach

Banned
May 9, 2010
Visit site
will I be able to get the phone if I add a line to my EPRP family plan? My other two phones on the family plan have been upgraded and aren't elgible for upgrade. Only one will be but not until November so think it's best just to add a line to get the phone.

Adding a new line of service qualifies you for "new customer" pricing. If you use the MIR, you must keep the phone active on that line for 30 days. Otherwise it will get denied. A denied rebate can still be received as an account credit, but it is a YMMV situation. Also the rebate would be just a credit to your account and not the normal gift card you would get by fulfilling the rebate process.

Mitalis

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site

According to a Sprint rep from the offices of Dan Hesse (Sprint CEO) I'm told that the HTC EVO will work with the Everything Plus Referral plans...

I'm still waiting to hear back from her whether or not the EVO will be available for these plans on June 4th.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power