I have Android Questions :-) Newbie

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Ok, So i recently posted in these forums that I needed advice on whether to move from the Pre or not. Well, I decided (with the help of MANY of you) that I am indeed going to make the switch to that awesome Evo.

So I need to clarify some things about Android that I don't know. I would really appreciate if most of these questions can be answered for me, since I don't have an Android phone to experiment with myself. Thanks in advance.

Here are my questions

1) I love patches on webOS. What are the possibilities in terms of patches with Android? Can I hack/root my phone easily in order to get the phone to do what I want?

2) Is there such thing as a homebrew community for Android that makes all the above patches into reality?

3) I love theming my Pre. Is it possible to completely change the way Android looks with several themes? For example, if I want to make my Evo look like my Mac with all the icons and everything, can I do that easily?

4) WebOS is awesome at multitasking. How does it compare to Android? I know Android multitasks, but how well does it do it, and how difficult is it to switch from app to app, or to close apps that are running?

5) I am a freak about organization. WebOS allows me to organize my apps, files, folders and more throughout the phone. Admittedly, it doesn't do it very well. How does Android work on this. I have always hated how on Android there is this launcher that is one never-ending page with all kinds of icons. Very unorganized. Is there any way to organize your apps into folders or something of the sort? That way I don't have to go looking deep into my apps. Right now, I have about 230 icons on my Pre to look through, but search and organization through the pages (one page for fun, one page for productivity, etc) has made organizing easier.

6) Quality of apps and 3D games. I think that webOS has good quality in the catalouge, especially games. 3D games are something I use a LOT. I know that Android has a disadvantage here, but I would like to know the experience of the users. I have great graphics in my Sim3 games and Need For Speed and others, from what I have seen on the Incredible, Android is VERY lacking in graphical power and support. Does this really hurt you?

7) I prefer the notification system of Android from that of webOS because it doesn't take up any space on the screen (drives me nuts sometimes). However, how do notifications work as far as apps that are closed or minimized? I know with my facebook app on webOS, I get notifications even when the app is closed. Which is weird, but I like it. Is that a choice on Android?

I will probably have more questions later. But really, thanks in advance for those of you who read this!

edit: ooops. I should have posted this on another forum about Android software....

extrafuzzyllama

May 8, 2010
Visit site
1) yes u just have to wait till someone roots the evo
2)yes xda has tons of devs working on custom roms and stuff for android
not sure wat u mean by patches never had a pre
3)yes there are home replacement apps on the market to get themes
4)u can multitask but not as nicely as webos u can hold down the home button on android to get last 6 apps opened
5)alll apps r on the launcher i havent run across any app organization tool for android
6)there r some good android games but i never had pre so cant comment on that
7)yes notifications r great on android u can get facebook and twitter notifications if the app has it built in which most that need notifications will

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Ok, So i recently posted in these forums that I needed advice on whether to move from the Pre or not. Well, I decided (with the help of MANY of you) that I am indeed going to make the switch to that awesome Evo.

So I need to clarify some things about Android that I don't know. I would really appreciate if most of these questions can be answered for me, since I don't have an Android phone to experiment with myself. Thanks in advance.

Here are my questions

1) I love patches on webOS. What are the possibilities in terms of patches with Android? Can I hack/root my phone easily in order to get the phone to do what I want?

2) Is there such thing as a homebrew community for Android that makes all the above patches into reality?

3) I love theming my Pre. Is it possible to completely change the way Android looks with several themes? For example, if I want to make my Evo look like my Mac with all the icons and everything, can I do that easily?

4) WebOS is awesome at multitasking. How does it compare to Android? I know Android multitasks, but how well does it do it, and how difficult is it to switch from app to app, or to close apps that are running?

5) I am a freak about organization. WebOS allows me to organize my apps, files, folders and more throughout the phone. Admittedly, it doesn't do it very well. How does Android work on this. I have always hated how on Android there is this launcher that is one never-ending page with all kinds of icons. Very unorganized. Is there any way to organize your apps into folders or something of the sort? That way I don't have to go looking deep into my apps. Right now, I have about 230 icons on my Pre to look through, but search and organization through the pages (one page for fun, one page for productivity, etc) has made organizing easier.

6) Quality of apps and 3D games. I think that webOS has good quality in the catalouge, especially games. 3D games are something I use a LOT. I know that Android has a disadvantage here, but I would like to know the experience of the users. I have great graphics in my Sim3 games and Need For Speed and others, from what I have seen on the Incredible, Android is VERY lacking in graphical power and support. Does this really hurt you?

7) I prefer the notification system of Android from that of webOS because it doesn't take up any space on the screen (drives me nuts sometimes). However, how do notifications work as far as apps that are closed or minimized? I know with my facebook app on webOS, I get notifications even when the app is closed. Which is weird, but I like it. Is that a choice on Android?

I will probably have more questions later. But really, thanks in advance for those of you who read this!

edit: ooops. I should have posted this on another forum about Android software....

1) Yes, but it will take a little bit of time before the Evo is rooted.

2) I believe, there is, but there are already apps in the app market that can do the sorts of changes Patches did it webos.

3) I believe that can be done. Lots of themes exist in the market. Check out what is there for your self: AppBrain - the best Android apps and games on the Android market

4) Switch to and from apps is done by long pressing the home button. This lets you switch to the last six apps you were using. Android auto closes apps when it needs memory. I am not an expert on this. You can get a task killer, like JsTop, but it really isn't needed or recommended.

5) Android has native folders. In sense UI you have 7 different home screens and you can put whatever you want on them and you can even quick switch between them, sort of like Expose on OSX. Sense also has "Scenes" which are basically presets you can create to switch how your home screens look depending on the situations you are in. You basically you can have a work scene which tucks your games away and brings your calendar and email more to the surface or a fun scene where social networking, games, photos, etc are displayed on your home screens.

6) Need For Speed Shift is being released on Android and it was specifically demo'd on the Evo. Sims 3 is on android as well as a ton of other 3D games. Gameloft and Glu are in the process of porting their games over (they have both said this to me via e-mail). I can count 20+ 3D games in the market place already and more are coming. Check out AppBrain - the best Android apps and games on the Android market again.

7) Android notification system basically works the same as WebOS. Background processes still run and can notify you when things change. The main difference between Android's and WebOS's notification system is that in WebOS you can remove notifications 1 by 1, but not all at once; in Android you can remove them all at once, but not 1 by 1.

Hope that helps!

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
7) Android notification system basically works the same as WebOS. Background processes still run and can notify you when things change. The main difference between Android's and WebOS's notification system is that in WebOS you can remove notifications 1 by 1, but not all at once; in Android you can remove them all at once, but not 1 by 1.

Hope that helps!

Funny how that works. And with the iPhone system, only one is allowed :D

oldpapa49

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Hey all, I have a question as well.
I will be coming from a Pre to hopefully haveing my EVO today.. that said,

When we changed the themes on the pre using preware, or add an app from homebrew or preware, we use to need to remove the theme/apps before doing an OTA upgrade.
I know preware has worked out some issues, but if you mess up your phone, you need to run webosdoctor and other items to recover (crossing fingers)

The reason for Prerware and Homebrew as well as a few others was for lack of Apps. I have research and I see apps pretty much abundant over the Pre options.
I need realVNC or TightVNC and I think I found it.

Thanks, Old

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy