EVO to replace my Flip Mino HD

c_dub

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I just purchased a Flip Video Mino HD about a month or two ago . . . from what i'm reading about this EVO 4G, it should be able to step in for the Flip, and render it redundant. Both are 720p, neither will have image stabilizers, which is my biggest pet peeve with the Flip. I'm out of the loop with video quality from the latest smartphones - who can comment. What is the verdict on video quality from the EVO. Sure the Flip video's software is super duper user friendly, which I thoughy would draw my wife in to taking and sending some video, but so much for that.

What's the verdict, should I return this Flip Video before Costco's 90 day return policy craps out on me?

neilept

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I have a Kodak Zi6 that I love, and I think the EVO will be replacing it also. Nice to have everything in your phone.

OrderedtheEvo

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I love the flip but hate to carry 2 devices. (currently bold and flip). I hope EVO can replace both. Anybody know how many FPS it will have ?

alvarezjpr

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I love the flip but hate to carry 2 devices. (currently bold and flip). I hope EVO can replace both. Anybody know how many FPS it will have ?

The Evo is only 20 fps (at 720HD) (specs). I don't know about the video quality of the Flip (30 fps at 720p), but I doubt the Evo video quality will be better. Having a Kodak Zi8 (30fps and 60fps at 720p) I'm quite certain the Evo quality will not be as good. I mean, I wish it was so I would have to carry only one device during vacations but I think we are expecting too much. Also, my guess is that the sensor in the Evo is smaller than the one on the Zi8 (pure guess)

justinsaneeeee

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
The Evo is only 20 fps (at 720HD) (specs). I don't know about the video quality of the Flip (30 fps at 720p), but I doubt the Evo video quality will be better. Having a Kodak Zi8 (30fps and 60fps at 720p) I'm quite certain the Evo quality will not be as good. I mean, I wish it was so I would have to carry only one device during vacations but I think we are expecting too much. Also, my guess is that the sensor in the Evo is smaller than the one on the Zi8 (pure guess)

trueee but ... are you seriously gonna carry 2 devices just because of a 10fps difference lol if you get the evo return all hd 720p camcorders : ) the evo will take care of you .

vudu

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Don't think the EVO's video will be as good as the Flip...I just posted an Associated Press review in another thread and the reviewer wasn't impressed with the HD video recording.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
well in one video the demo guy from HTC or Sprint said something like "with this phone there's no need to bring your digital camera or video camera."

alvarezjpr

May 8, 2010
Visit site
trueee but ... are you seriously gonna carry 2 devices just because of a 10fps difference lol if you get the evo return all hd 720p camcorders : ) the evo will take care of you .

Actually I prefer at 60fps, it makes a huge difference and panning, for example, is a lot smoother. That and fast action (or rapid movements by the subject) are the main reasons why higher fps is beneficial. Otherwise it looks blurry and with streaks(?). I'll be testing the camera as soon as I get the Evo, if it is good enough, then I might ditch the Zi8.

jedisrus

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't think there is any way that the video camera on the flip will be in the same league as a stand alone 720p camcorder. If you are going someplace and you expect to shoot some video, take a dedicated camcorder. The phones should be used for those spontaneous moments that crop up from time to time. Just my 2 cents.

zhens

May 12, 2010
Visit site
well in one video the demo guy from HTC or Sprint said something like "with this phone there's no need to bring your digital camera or video camera."

Key point of your sentence is the fact that it is "THE DEMO GUY FROM HTC OR SPRINT" who said it.

That is like the makers of Keurig saying, "With our single cup coffee maker you can leave your french press at home."

The Evo will be no substitution for the Flip or any other dedicated camcorder in that range. It will be convenient, but if you believe the HTC or Sprint talking heads that it will replace your digital camera or video camera (quality-wise), you are an A-class moron.*

That is all.

*This will replace many people's digital cameras in the sense that they won't feel the need to carry both, but it will not replace the quality of modern-day, dedicated cameras/camcorders.

Septro

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Both the camera and camcorder are not replacements in any way for a dedicated device.

They're both functional and great for ad-hoc pictures and shooting but if you think low-light conditions, zoom, fast autofocus, video compression, fast-motion shots, to name a few, are the forte of the EVO camera, we need to sit down and have a therapeutic group session:

"Hi my name is C_Dub, and I believe in superphones"

Eguy

Lloyd Lover
Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Engadget's review has a sample 720p video and it is definitely not as good as a HD camcorder, but it is pretty good still!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20