2.2 Unofficial Rumor

baggyp

May 8, 2010
Visit site
OK......SO........ Just a thought, and if someone already said this I apologize in advance.

Right now sprint has great momentum going forward with the release of the EVO 4G. As it stands that anticipation is building with all the great reviews from reputable sources (Engadget, Phonedog, so on). The phone goes on sale June 4th. Apple's thing is June 7-11th. Sprint-Google know that apple has some good tricks up it sleeves. How much of a thunder stealer would it be to announce Froyo on the EVO right after the iphone news. I think that would be a slap in the face of Apple.

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
OK......SO........ Just a thought, and if someone already said this I apologize in advance.

Right now sprint has great momentum going forward with the release of the EVO 4G. As it stands that anticipation is building with all the great reviews from reputable sources (Engadget, Phonedog, so on). The phone goes on sale June 4th. Apple's thing is June 7-11th. Sprint-Google know that apple has some good tricks up it sleeves. How much of a thunder stealer would it be to announce Froyo on the EVO right after the iphone news. I think that would be a slap in the face of Apple.

It would be, although in all honesty they would have done that at the I/O. Google isn't stupid, I hope they have something in store for the Iphone launch.

frettfreak

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Froyo for Evo in....

Well.. lets throw this one into the running for when Froyo will be on the evo.. but this post on xda
2.2 Froyo to the EVO in July - xda-developers
Says that its coming in July.. Persoanlly.. i think that is reasonable.. but i love the thought that someone else mentioned about an OTA update on activation but i dont think that is realistic really considering HTC's track record with updating phones (I have a mt3g and we still font have drivers or update to 2.1).

So like i said.. its just another guess... but i thought i would share what i found.

italiangspot

Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
sprint will def have the tethering options blocked on the 2.2 might might be worried that hackers will be able to unlock that feature ... allowing people to shy away from wimax ... i guess time will tell ... but with sprint they are slow as hell .. the hero just got 2.1 ... use that as an example

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I was also at I/O and I sat next to an HTC Engineer at lunch yesterday.

He was very nice and during our conversation I asked about FroYo and he said that it is coming but at this point it would be a little premature to set a firm date(probably official company line).

He did mention that he believes with FroYo battery life would improve some on the EVO, but he was quick to remind me that the above statement was his thoughts and not official company line.

The conversation then turned to my line of work and we discussed my thoughts on certain things (none related to Android/FroYo/or mobile platforms in general) which took up the remainder of lunch and I was unable to ask any other Android related questions (I am not sure if that was purposeful on his part to take some pressure off of him or if he was generally interested in my line of work(which is possible as to an Engineer I do have a pretty cool job).

Dan

Last edited:

RC46

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I would put my money on November 2010. HTC's problem is that they are too busy rolling out new phones to spend much time updating the old ones. The EVO will have a special ROM due to some of the hardware differences it has as well as sense. Patience will be the name of the game. If you want 2.2 sooner than later then just wait a month and buy the next Android device that will surely be released right after the EVO.

skullsdontfade

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I would put my money on November 2010. HTC's problem is that they are too busy rolling out new phones to spend much time updating the old ones. The EVO will have a special ROM due to some of the hardware differences it has as well as sense. Patience will be the name of the game. If you want 2.2 sooner than later then just wait a month and buy the next Android device that will surely be released right after the EVO.

while i don't doubt that this could take a while, i don't think it's for the reasons you state. HTC has different teams that work on getting phones out, and I'm willing to bet that different teams works on different updates for different phones. I could be wrong, but I'm just assuming here. That said, I hope it's before November, but wouldn't doubt it.