2.2 Unofficial Rumor

ayman86

May 7, 2010
Visit site
once google announces froyo, we will know more about whats likely going to happen.

it would be nice if google announce the evo on stage (i believe tomorrow is when they will talk about it)

pokerjv

May 12, 2010
Visit site
highly doubt it, need to update sense with it, so i doubt it happens anytime soon. Also, this is coming from the ozcarguide site, immediate thumbs down on the rumors.

jedisrus

May 8, 2010
Visit site
That would be a pleasant surprise. I should see if my local Sprint store advocate has an Evo yet and what it is running.

dwhitman

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Ozcarguide. :rolleyes: These guys remind me of a quote from a famous scientist, talking about a less-than-stellar scientific paper he was reviewing:

"This isn't right. It isn't even wrong." - Wolfgang Pauli

These guys have absolutely no credibility whatsoever. If they say something is going to happen, you can't assume it will. You can't even assume it won't. They just spit out random stuff designed to draw people's attention and get pageviews.

skullsdontfade

May 16, 2010
Visit site
need to update sense with it

i'm going to be new to android so i don't know how this all works. people have been saying this but is it possible that 2.2 is ready for deployment to N1's and will be released after it's annoucement at IO. and if that's true couldn't HTC already have the update and have already been working on it?

ogremustcrush

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Everyone says there's going to be a huge delay to update SenseUI for 2.2, does everyone really believe that HTC has had no prerelease access to 2.2? I mean, the vast majority of new Android phones are made by HTC, I would think if anyone would have 2.2 roms to test on, they would. The changes between 2.1 to 2.2 aren't nearly as significant as the changes between 1.5/1.6 to 2.1, I would imagine it really wouldn't take all that much to get SenseUI updated. If anything, getting 2.2 roms out to the EVO and Incredible would be their highest priority, considering they just launched/ are launching soon, and not having the latest version of Android on such flagship phones would be a competitive disadvantage again other manufacturers such as Motorola. Of course, everyone seems to treat the Nexus One as if it was made directly by Google instead of HTC.

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
That's what I've been saying. HTC surely has a development release to work on.
We're only assuming Sense for 2.1 wouldn't be compatible with 2.2.

Either way OZcar agreed with me, maybe I'm the source :) so it'll be wrong.
We'll see Froyo when Gingerbread is released.

Saepak

May 9, 2010
Visit site
Well we will know more after the Google I/O.

I would think as software developers that google would want their software being tested by the actual manufactures before they released it. Atleast that is what microsoft and other software devs do with there software. It just isn't as hush hush as google's stuff.

IamTheCord

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I dunno if it is sprint as much as it was more the 1.5 to 2.1 jump that the Hero and Moment. I say this because when i had the pre I was getting updates well before verizon and any other carrier for that matter. Either way 2.2 on the EVO would be amazing but 2.1 with flash light is great from my stand point too

gol706

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Does Google usually give developers pre-release copies of new android versions so they can test their apps for compatibility before release to the general public like Apple does?

PretoEvo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
This makes some business sense. Google and Sprint both know iPhone HD or whatever they are going to call it is right around the corner. What better way to add some late buzz around the 4G prior to launch then to announce that it will upgrade to FroYo. This is a win-win-win for Sprint, Google, and HTC.

I'd still bet against it, mind you, but it could happen.

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm hoping that at Thursday's I/O keynote, they make an announcement that Froyo is currently being updated, over-the-air, to Nexus One phones. And then, that the EVO will have an OTA update available when we buy it on the 4th. 2.1 to 2.2 should not require a lot of changes, as did a 1.x to a 2.x, so I'm hoping that the approval process by HTC and Sprint will be short.

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Sprint is just slow at releasing updates on their phones.

Not true. They have been quite fast at releasing updates for WebOS. Much faster than VZW actually. Remember that android jumped from 1.5 to 2.1 rather fast and that HTC was working on getting Sense 2.1 working with their new phones before updating their old ones. In addition the difference between 1.5 and 2.1 is quite significant. The change between 2.1 and 2.2 should be less. I expect an update from HTC in a few months after the Evo's release.