My experience thus far (the evo. of the Evo)

joehammer

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I live in Atlanta. Most of you would think that if there are a few cities in the nation that would be a pretty reliable info hub, Atlanta would be one of them.

Unfortunately, this is not the case. Sprint has been caught of guard by the outcry and demand of this phone. I think that is the only fact that I have been able to cypher from all of this. Since Sprint hasn't had a "iPhone-like craze" hit their network yet, this seems to be a "cluster @#$" for the company.

Here is the information that I have been given, and the sources:

Sprint:
1. You cannot pre-order an Evo through Sprint.
2. You can only purchase the Evo if your account is caught up on all payments.
3. The purchase price is confirmed to be $449.99 if you purchase from Sprint.
4. Buying the device outright will not extend your contract.
5. Premiere Customers get their $150 upgrade discount AND the mail-in rebate.
6. If you are not a Premiere Customer, it will take you 18 months of paying on time your entire bill each month to regain the status.
7. Sprint does not know how much the phones will cost at other retail outlets.
8. The 4g coverage is OPTIONAL meaning that the fee is as well (I confirmed this three times with three different customer service reps).

Best Buy:
1. Will not let you buy the phone outright on June 4th.
2. Will not let you buy the phone unless you:
a. Are a Premiere Customer.
b. Are a new Sprint Customer signing up for service.
3. Does not know the final price of the phone when they will eventually let you buy it outright.

Radio Shack:
1. Will let you buy the phone outright on June 4th.
2. Does not know the final price of the phone.

If anyone has any other information for people just looking to get a phone and buy it outright, please let me know!

justin_aga

May 18, 2010
Visit site
WOW...THATS CRAZY. I've bought many phones while my bill was due. Is that just that specific sprint store? Those things would probably turn me off from sprint.

kellte2

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Best Buy:
3. Does not know the final price of the phone when they will eventually let you buy it outright.
[/B]

Thank you for putting this list together, but there are several inaccuracies. Best Buy could not care less if you're a Premier Customer. They are only interested if you are eligible for an upgrade. I'm Premier and have several lines open for an upgrade. They didn't once ask during multi-preorders if I happened to be a Premier Customer. Perhaps this information is related to a specific Best Buy, but it doesn't seem to apply nationwide.

Secondly, the $10 Premium Data is NOT optional [for the millionth time]. It is true that Sprint should have been clearer when describing this charge, every official outlet - not CS representatives - have all but confirmed that it is a mandatory charge whether or not you're using 4G data or live in a 4G location.

deparson

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
The coverage is optional - you can turn off the WiMAX radio if you want. However, all EVOs carry a mandatory $10 per phone per month fee.

This fee will apply even if you are in a 3G only area and/or never user WiMAX at all.

Sucks but it will insure there are plenty of EVOs to go around on launch day as the average consumer won't pay a per month fee to use a specific phone; even one as cool as the EVO.

I specifically asked if the $10 fee was the 4g fee and they said yes, and they all told me that it was completely optional.

joehammer

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for putting this list together, but there are several inaccuracies. Best Buy could not care less if you're a Premier Customer. They are only interested if you are eligible for an upgrade. I'm Premier and have several lines open for an upgrade. They didn't once ask during multi-preorders if I happened to be a Premier Customer. Perhaps this information is related to a specific Best Buy, but it doesn't seem to apply nationwide.

Secondly, the $10 Premium Data is NOT optional [for the millionth time]. It is true that Sprint should have been clearer when describing this charge, every official outlet - not CS representatives - have all but confirmed that it is a mandatory charge whether or not you're using 4G data or live in a 4G location.

I called and spoke to two Best Buys in Atlanta and they both told me that they will not accept the $75 upgrade applicants, only the $150. One of the people told me that it was because they want to give the $100 instant rebate without having to go through hoops to see who gets it and who doesn't.

Is this on par with what you've been told?

hampstenj

May 8, 2010
Visit site
The coverage is optional - you can turn off the WiMAX radio if you want. However, all EVOs carry a mandatory $10 per phone per month fee.

This fee will apply even if you are in a 3G only area and/or never user WiMAX at all.

Sucks but it will insure there are plenty of EVOs to go around on launch day as the average consumer won't pay a per month fee to use a specific phone; even one as cool as the EVO.

ever heard of the iPhone???? People bought them like there was no other phone ever made, and when it first came out it was the first phone to have a per month fee, the data requirement....

so IMO it will NOT insure there are plenty of EVO's without homes on launch day, sorry...

jhnnyblze2000

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I just got done talking to the people at best buy I already have sprint and an evo preordered they said u do not need to sign up for new service adding a line to ur account will work or if u purchased a phone within 30 days of the evo releasing u can return that phone for an evo as long as u preordered one.

PhantomPhreak53

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I live in Atlanta. Most of you would think that if there are a few cities in the nation that would be a pretty reliable info hub, Atlanta would be one of them.

Unfortunately, this is not the case. Sprint has been caught of guard by the outcry and demand of this phone. I think that is the only fact that I have been able to cypher from all of this. Since Sprint hasn't had a "iPhone-like craze" hit their network yet, this seems to be a "cluster @#$" for the company.

Here is the information that I have been given, and the sources:

Sprint:
1. You cannot pre-order an Evo through Sprint.
2. You can only purchase the Evo if your account is caught up on all payments.
3. The purchase price is confirmed to be $449.99 if you purchase from Sprint.
4. Buying the device outright will not extend your contract.
5. Premiere Customers get their $150 upgrade discount AND the mail-in rebate.
6. If you are not a Premiere Customer, it will take you 18 months of paying on time your entire bill each month to regain the status.
7. Sprint does not know how much the phones will cost at other retail outlets.
8. The 4g coverage is OPTIONAL meaning that the fee is as well (I confirmed this three times with three different customer service reps).

Best Buy:

Radio Shack:
1. Will let you buy the phone outright on June 4th.
2. Does not know the final price of the phone.

If anyone has any other information for people just looking to get a phone and buy it outright, please let me know!

I am purchasing my phone through Best Buy and they said you can buy it outright for the $499

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Sprint customer service reps know very little actual stuff. Sprint's own PR guy stated the fee applies even without 4g. The fee is NOT optional.

kellte2

May 15, 2010
Visit site
This was all a good effort at consolidating the information, but unfortunately some people act like they know what they are talking about when, in fact, they do not. It isn't your fault, but you were given a lot of incorrect information.

The problem is: if someone comes in this thread, reads your list and leaves without looking at the replied, this inaccurate information is spread.

PhantomPhreak53

May 15, 2010
Visit site
It all depends on who you talk to. My BB said $700-$800. No price has formally been set by BB. Until they do that, the in-store worker bees have no idea.

Yeah I would agree that the price might change but I know you can buy it outright. There is no requirement by Sprint nor Best Buy for a 2 year contract or any of that nonsense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674