2.2 rolling out on Nexus now? Evo hopefully soon?

anish3232

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
honestly, this is the #1 reason I am struggling over the decision to buy an EVO. After the fantastic update experience I have had with my Palm Pre I can't imagine waiting 3-6 months for an update to sft that is on other phones. Especially when the phone is a brand new! I don't know how Hero, Eris and Moment users have been able to wait. I would have sold my phone.

I wish the Evo was a stock Android phone.

Yea it was nice to see PRE updates every month, however the phone was unfinished when released it took about 8-9 months before the PRE was where it should have been when it was released. I think with the EVO we will see a more polished product. Also, there will be custom roms out within 2 weeks after launch.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
The problem I see with Froyo on the Evo is keeping Sense and having JIT enabled. So far, none of the Hero ROMs can keep sense running and have JIT going because it doesn't play nicely with Sense apps.

anon(4936081)

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Yea it was nice to see PRE updates every month, however the phone was unfinished when released it took about 8-9 months before the PRE was where it should have been when it was released. I think with the EVO we will see a more polished product. Also, there will be custom roms out within 2 weeks after launch.

The "updates" aren't the same on both OS systems....so it's not like comparing apples to apples.

I have a Pre as well and avidly watched each month for "the update". The changes that were realized in webOS over each update were far less significant than each new rendition of Android. Even from 2.1 to 2.2 we're already seeing major differences (in a positive way), not just enabling something that should have been there from the start.

I truly believe it is a multi-party effort to roll out an update, and for Sprint, the were less focused on getting the Moment/Hero updated when they had the Evo right around the corner. I think (and hope) the opposite will be true for the Evo and we'll see 2.2 hit the device much sooner since it will be their "flagship" device.

Just my $0.02.

robertpetry

May 13, 2010
Visit site
The "updates" aren't the same on both OS systems....so it's not like comparing apples to apples.

I have a Pre as well and avidly watched each month for "the update". The changes that were realized in webOS over each update were far less significant than each new rendition of Android. Even from 2.1 to 2.2 we're already seeing major differences (in a positive way), not just enabling something that should have been there from the start.

That may be true some months but not for many. How about enabling 3D gaming? Adding Video Recording? Those and others were pretty major updates.

I agree that the OS was pretty immature at launch but "should have been there when released?" That is ridiculous. Compare the state of WebOS to either iPhone the first year or Android on the G1 (it's first year). WebOS was more ready and improved faster than either.

But that is all a side argument. I am just saying if the EVO gets 5 or 6 mos. behind on updates just like all the Sense phones have then I will be very unhappy and I think a lot of others will too.

They have got to figure out a better way to keep devices updated within a shorter window. Maybe a month or two. Three is pushing it.

RC46

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
This is the problem with Android. Google develops the new version of the OS then has to send it to the manufacturers for them to figure how to make it work with their devices and their customizations. Then it has to go to the carriers for their testing and approval.

HTC has so many android devices already out that it takes them forever to develop these ROM's for each device. They also have tons of devices in the pipeline that have yet to be released so they focus most of their development on getting those out with the latest greatest (2.2).

I would be willing to bet that the EVO does not get 2.2 until December and not only that I would be willing to bet that HTC releases 3-4 devices before then that are released with 2.2 already installed. So in essence you will be using your EVO for 6 months while reading about all kinds of apps and features that wont work on your phone and also reading about new HTC devices that are even better than the EVO from a hardware perspective that already have these apps and features included.

To make things even worse, the Nexus 1 will be getting 2.3 (or the next version of Android) about the time the EVO finally gets 2.2

Essentially your device will be outdated before you even activate it.

Prepare for the HTC Hero debacle version 2.0

Last edited:

lembowski

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I hope its not that bad, with the EVO I would think that Sprint would want to do everything it can to make it the bright shining star for at least 6 months. I would hope/expect the 2.2 to come out around the end of the 3rd quarter. That gives them 3-4 months to make 2.2 play nice with the EVO.

RC46

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I hope its not that bad, with the EVO I would think that Sprint would want to do everything it can to make it the bright shining star for at least 6 months. I would hope/expect the 2.2 to come out around the end of the 3rd quarter. That gives them 3-4 months to make 2.2 play nice with the EVO.

If it were up to Sprint that would probably come true. Unfortunately Sprint is as much as victim in this mess as the EVO owners will be. In fact because the EVO is on Sprint and can only be on Sprint (because the Wimax radio) that means it will sell much less than any of the other new Android devices which means it will be on of the last priority's for an update.

I hope I am wrong because I am thinking of getting one as a second device but if you study the history of Android you will see that I am most likely right.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
If it were up to Sprint that would probably come true. Unfortunately Sprint is as much as victim in this mess as the EVO owners will be. In fact because the EVO is on Sprint and can only be on Sprint (because the Wimax radio) that means it will sell much less than any of the other new Android devices which means it will be on of the last priority's for an update.

I hope I am wrong because I am thinking of getting one as a second device but if you study the history of Android you will see that I am most likely right.

???? Name a device other than the n1 (that isn't official), thats available on other carriers?
and:
cdma hero =/= GSM hero
cdma Droid =/= GSM milestone

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
IMO, Froyo is not gonna make or break the purchase for majority of buyers. Most of us buy it for what we already know. It's nice to have the update available later, Google already said 2nd half of 2010, so it's not that far ahead. Even if we don't get it soon, just enjoy the phone. I know I will!

There is one addition in Froyo that I can see making or breaking it with some people... it's the fact Froyo now supports Voice Dialing over Bluetooth. Someone in the N1 forum has confirmed this... http://forum.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-one/13712-froyo-questions.html This is a big issue for me cause I really don't like messing with my phone while I'm driving!! YAY I'm so happy and I can't wait for Froyo on the EVO.

Tre Lawrence

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I guess as a BB owner that was used to seeing OS upgrades delayed for ages by the carriers, I am unfazed.

Maybe I am looking at it simplistically, but I never, ever used a carrier OS on my BB. I know it is significantly different, but won't custom ROMs be an alternative?

robertpetry

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I think custom ROMS will be an alternative. I sure hope so.

The question I have is will custom ROMs support 4G? A front facing camera? Will they have Sense?

I don't know enough about it but would consider a custom ROM if it supported the features in the phone.

Android Believer

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I can answer one thing for you, and that's no they will not have Sense. Sense is an HTC UI put over the stock Android UI. And to my understanding, HTC and the Sense UI are what really lag the OS updating process when it comes to Sense featured phones. If you get Froyo on the Evo anytime before it's officially released, it will most likely not have Sense on it; if it does, it will be 2.1 Sense or something along those lines.

redninja

May 25, 2010
Visit site
well I've vented a couple times on here about it, I'm really torn also. Is it really fair to be expected to pay that kind of money for something that is outdated the day you buy it? This is why I havent jumped from my pre sooner. After watching the girl waiting and waiting and waiting with her moment, for 2.1, then get it and its not even a full 2.1? As much as I like android, I think I will feel ripped off in the end.

RC46

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
So is 2.2 going to enable the Evo to use 802.11n WiFi, or does it not have the hardware?

It has to have the hardware and the EVO does not.

As I said, it will be a outdated device before it even gets activated.

But I'm still getting one!:)

skullsdontfade

May 16, 2010
Visit site
is 802.11n wifi that big of a difference? i use G wifi for xbox 360 gaming and HD streaming via netflix with ZERO issues and that's with several other devices connected to my wifi as well.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
is 802.11n wifi that big of a difference? i use G wifi for xbox 360 gaming and HD streaming via netflix with ZERO issues and that's with several other devices connected to my wifi as well.

The reason I was asking is because of range - "n" has a much larger range than previous WiFi versions.

Gcorvette987

May 18, 2010
Visit site
hey guys! i went to my local sprint store today and the rep told me that while she was in training they told her that 2.2 will be coming out a few weeks after launch and it wont be the usual long wait times!! i REALLY hope she is right!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance