2.2 rolling out on Nexus now? Evo hopefully soon?

dre3k2

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm hungover ha ..

But I just saw this post on techcrunch. He's claiming that he got the 2.2 update late last night. Sooo.. evo should get it sooner than later?

A Late Night Froyo Treat! Android 2.2 Goes Live On The Nexus One

Edit: I found the same thing on the Engadget site. They're actually confirming (via twitter) that some people are getting it. Still possible for the Evo to get froyo at launch, or soon after?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/22/android-2-2s-froyo-goodness-hitting-the-nexus-one-already/

Last edited:

csierra72

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
We can only hope. Could be a good reason for the retailers doing pre sales to set appointments. Help people with the update at activation.

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
So on an Android phone, they just send the update to the phone while you're sleeping? You don't have to do anything? Is this like automatic updates in windows?

vWvSTATICvWv

May 19, 2010
Visit site
The Evo will be my first Android phone, so im new to this but since 2.2 is out...Couldn't everyone(regardless of phone type) just manually update and not have to wait for the OTA update?

justinsaneeeee

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Ihighly doubt the EVO will get froyo at launch and that is because they have already put them all out to ship and ready to go ... there will be a update most likely with in 2 3 months so dont worry people us EVOers will get it soon enough : )

Setite

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Ihighly doubt the EVO will get froyo at launch and that is because they have already put them all out to ship and ready to go ... there will be a update most likely with in 2 3 months so dont worry people us EVOers will get it soon enough : )

I would like to point out that 2-3 months is by no stretch soon enough for an update that will make our EVO's 2-5x faster and just smarter all around. Moving apps to SD natively for example. This update needs to be rolled out quick as **** since it will breathe new life into all phones, especially the slower ones. This is, in my opinion, the one flaw with Android. I wish they found a way to make updates universal like they are with regular OS's.

djdisturbed

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

I would not say that, just b/c they have shipped them already does not mean they wont have a OTA update waiting when we first turn them on, The Palm Pre's had one that updated OTA at purchase. I'm not saying that they will, im just saying that just b/c they have shipped to the store already makes no diff on when we get the update.

jedisrus

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I thought it was already covered at Google IO that the Incredible, Droid, and Evo would be later this year. I know that June 4th is later but if HTC was that close to having Froyo ready I think they would have been screaming it from the roof tops. We just have to be patient and wait. As far as I am concerned it will be nice if it happens at all in 2010.

letsgoflyers81

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I understand it'll take a while to get Froyo on the EVO, and I understand why. But I hope it doesn't take too long. I'd hate to get it just as Gingerbread comes out for the Nexus One.

anish3232

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I think we will probably see a few custom roms out for the EVO with 2.2 within a month of launch. I do not expect HTC to make an official rom until 2-3 months after launch.

robertpetry

May 13, 2010
Visit site
honestly, this is the #1 reason I am struggling over the decision to buy an EVO. After the fantastic update experience I have had with my Palm Pre I can't imagine waiting 3-6 months for an update to sft that is on other phones. Especially when the phone is a brand new! I don't know how Hero, Eris and Moment users have been able to wait. I would have sold my phone.

I wish the Evo was a stock Android phone.

Ky1e.YC

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I seriously doubt EVO will have Froyo when it out. Besides, HTC will make a few modifications for their own particularities.

apexi350z

May 18, 2010
Visit site
IMO, Froyo is not gonna make or break the purchase for majority of buyers. Most of us buy it for what we already know. It's nice to have the update available later, Google already said 2nd half of 2010, so it's not that far ahead. Even if we don't get it soon, just enjoy the phone. I know I will!

LABLE

May 4, 2010
Visit site
IMO, Froyo is not gonna make or break the purchase for majority of buyers. Most of us buy it for what we already know. It's nice to have the update available later, Google already said 2nd half of 2010, so it's not that far ahead. Even if we don't get it soon, just enjoy the phone. I know I will!

Agree!

PinkoCommie

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Even if we don't get it soon, just enjoy the phone. I know I will!

You're right. It's not a "make it or break it" kind of deal... but there is enjoying the phone and there is enjoying THE latest, greatest, newest, most up-to-date gadgetry and software out there. I will enjoy it with 2.1, but I WANT 2.2 the day after I get the dang phone!

If we weren't all gadget geeks who want the latest stuff, we wouldn't be on this forum ;)

robertpetry

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I agree that it won't make or break it for the average user but there is a high percentage of geeks using Android and it will bother us.

and "in the 2nd half" could be more than 6 months. Judging by HTC's history it could be closer to 4-5 months. Maybe they will do better then that because this is a flagship phone and they have more experience updating sense now. IDK but I am not used to waiting months for updates that are already available.

I know I will be miserable watching other phones with the same specs get newer software with new features while I wait. That is not a pleasant feeling and is seriously making me think long and hard about the EVO.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay