I am torn.

Schmid7y

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I really want to upgrade this summer. I am obviously on Sprint, and I am thinking about the EVO. But, I am a webOS guy, and am currently enjoying my Pixi, but it is underpowered, and I want a better screen and camera. If there is no new pre, I am going Android. I am really upset the Nexus One didn't land on Sprint though, I would really like that phone so I can get all the updates first. I guess the Evo is the next best thing. Hmmmmm, why Android?

jedisrus

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Think of it this way: If Froyo hadn't just been released would you have been happy with the Evo in its current state? If the answer is yes, what difference does it make? You'll be getting the update later this year and have a plenty good phone and version of the OS in the meantime.

Jut my take on the whole matter.

paga912

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I got a buddy at sprint corporate so I am able to get any phone when it comes out. Just go ahead an switch over..I got the instinct the first day it came out. then when I heard about the pre i got that on the first day and once the hero came out I got that the same day and when I heard about the supersonic (evo) it was as good as done. GET THE EVO!!! Android is nice, i never rooted my hero but I hear rooting is a good option.

Last edited:

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
If you want updates that bad, root the evo. These androis cooks make some sweet roms that run as well as or often better than stock.

Schmid7y

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Think of it this way: If Froyo hadn't just been released would you have been happy with the Evo in its current state? If the answer is yes, what difference does it make? You'll be getting the update later this year and have a plenty good phone and version of the OS in the meantime.

Jut my take on the whole matter.
Are you talking to me, or Fathom?
I got a buddy at sprint corporate so I am able to get any phone when it comes out. Just go ahead an switch over..I got the instinct the first day it came out. then when I heard about the pre i got that on the first day and once the hero came out I got that the same day and when I heard about the supersonic (evo) it was as good as done.
Well, I don't have the luxury of switching phones THAT often ;) I want this next one to last a year, unlike my Pixi.

ecaggiani

Feb 18, 2010
www.zazzle.com
The #1 reason to switch to Android is the Apps Market. Second only to Apple's App Store, it has thousands of apps to fit all your needs.

Schmid7y

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
The #1 reason to switch to Android is the Apps Market. Second only to Apple's App Store, it has thousands of apps to fit all your needs.

Yeah I like that. The Palm App Catalog is laughable. Second question, does the Evo have a GPU, or just a huge CPU? If so, is it unlocked within the OS in 2.2? Meaning, can it run in the OS to make the UI smoother?

emeraldayotte

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I have a Palm Pre....5 reasons for me leaving:

1) It appears that any other smartphone has better battery life than my Pre. I can BARELY make a full work day and it's with very minimal usage. Screen is down to 13%, no GPS and none of my email is pushed but still getting horrible battery life.

2) The webOS lag will be gone. I've played with the Incredible and if the Evo is remotely close in the power department, it'll be light years ahead of my Pre.

3) Apps. Need I say more?

4) Evo features (4G, video chat/conference, 4.3 inch screen) is too good to pass up

5) Solid build quality. I've been through 2 Pre's and the build quality hasn't gotten any better.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I like that. The Palm App Catalog is laughable. Second question, does the Evo have a GPU, or just a huge CPU? If so, is it unlocked within the OS in 2.2? Meaning, can it run in the OS to make the UI smoother?

Yes the Evo has a GPU, and yes it is being used. Did you see how smooth the UI is on the Evo? Also, the 3d games are starting to roll out as well, good examples are "Lets Golf", "Xplane" (Flight Simulator), "Need for Speed Shift", among others.

And yeah, even now, the Palm App Catalog is still laughable with just over 2200 apps, so much for "the flood gates opening".

ZDriver

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I am on Pre #7, NONE my fault and everytime I have to be without a phone for 3-4 days. I want A RELIABLE WELL BUILT PHONE, That is hopefully going to be EVO!

Eguy

Lloyd Lover
Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
I still prefer webOS to Android because of the card multi-tasking and swipe notifications, but Palm's hardware is a joke. Underpowered, cheap materials all make us question staying with Palm. It is very clear webOS requires a processor like a Snapdragon to perform properly at this point, but with hardware like the EVO, Incredible, Desire/Nexus One, and the new iPhone, I see no reason to stay with Palm. These new devices destroy the Pre and Pixi in the power department and offer a lot more than webOS does currently. I'm getting the EVO solely because of the screen size and Snapdragon.

Adam Sawyer

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site

Yes! The Evo can handle 3D rendering very well. I don't see why you wouldn't want to get this device, you will not be disappointed.

Roustermiller

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Just pre-ordered mine today and I have the BB Tour and I can't wait to get away from it all it's good for is bbm that's it I got the pre the day it came out It was good for the moment (Trash) can't wait to get my hands on the EVO my wife is already mad that I'm always looking at videos and reading about it so much now I have to get her a new phone smh lol but I will still enjoy my phone when I get it

deleonj1225

May 16, 2010
Visit site
i say screw it i'm keeping both, i have 3 lines 2 of which are unused because my kids are overseas, and their two lines are eligible for upgrades. I told my son i was getting the EVO on his line and if I like it he can keep my Pre, if I don't and a new Pre comes out he still wins and gets an EVO when he comes back next year...

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I have the Palm Pre.
Pretty sure I'm going to get the Evo soon.

People already said a lot of things, but Android has a lot of features OUT of the box.
Zoom/Contrast as camera options, for example.
Other examples. Multiple homescreens, widgets, voice search... Swype on virtual keyboard.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay