Strange issue when connecting Evo to car stereo

ecaggiani

Feb 18, 2010
www.zazzle.com
So with my old Hero, I've been listening to Pandora and podcasts through my car stereo by connecting a 3.5" to 3.5" cable from the phone headphone jack to my car stereo's line in jack. Works great.

With my new Evo, it also works...BUT the little icon I get in the notification area on the phone shows a headset with mic, as opposed to simply a headset icon. That's not a problem, except that it keeps launching the voice search or automatically calling someone as if I had said to call. This is without me even touching the phone.

My theory is that for some reason, the cable I am using fakes the Evo into thinking a headset mic is plugged in. This doesn't happen when I plug in normal headphones or ear buds. Only when connecting it using the male-to-male connector in my car.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions?

springsyeti

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
Look at the ends of you 3.5 to 3.5.. If is has the trrs connector (3plastic bands) vs a trs (two plastic bands) that would be why. Compare the ends of the connector to a set of headphones. Here is a wikipedia page TRS connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Look ate the Iphone connectors to the R side of the page a bit. The Trrs connector is used for headsets with microphone or other controls.. Hope this helps..

ecaggiani

Feb 18, 2010
www.zazzle.com
Ahh ok, just what I was thinking. I'll need a new cable. The weird thing is it works just fine with my Hero. But yeah, this makes sense. I'll have a look at the cable when I go back to my car tonight. Thanks!

ecaggiani

Feb 18, 2010
www.zazzle.com
Well, I looked at my cable and it is the correct two-band one. I played with it and what I see is that if I connect it to the Evo carefully, it shows the headset icon normally and it works fine. If I jiggle it at all, it changes to the headset+mic icon and the voice dialer app launches. When plugged into my Hero, I can jiggle it all I want and it works correctly.

So I either have a bad cable and the Evo is just more sensitive to it, or there's something wrong with my Evo's headphone jack. Normal headphones and earbuds work fine, so I'm guessing it's a wonky cable coupled with a more sensitive Evo. I'll stop by Radio Shack or Best Buy and get a brand new cable and see what happens. Fingers crossed!

lshelmir

May 8, 2010
Visit site
With Android, when you plug the phone into your tape adapter are you able to receive calls using the cars speakers but the phones mic.

It works on the Pixi, but not for my Curve.

ecaggiani

Feb 18, 2010
www.zazzle.com
Haven't tested that on my Evo, but with my Hero, yes, you can hear the caller through your car speakers, and they can hear you through the phone mic. Problem is if you're using bluetooth, the cable overrides the call so it will always pump through your speakers and not your BT headset it seems.

ecaggiani

Feb 18, 2010
www.zazzle.com
Well, folks, it's not the cable. I got a new cable and it still behaves the same way. The odd thing is when I use standard earbuds or headphones it's fine. It's only when I plug in a 3.5" to 3.5" extension cable that it goes haywire.

The other end doesn't even need to be plugged in to anything. It's just dangling and it still launches the voice dialer. I'm hoping when I get a decent car mount it will work better, or maybe if it's a loose connection in the jack it will work itself out.

So am I the only one with this issue?

--------
Sent from my HTC Evo 'cause that's how I roll.

bhtoque

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I'd bet the cable is not seating completely. If you have a case on the phone remove it, or use an exacto knife and trim the plastic of the cable back a little bit so it can get further into the phone.

Especially since the situation changes when you jiggle the cable, that is a very likely cause.

On the worst case side of things, the contacts inside the evo's jack may not be lined up properly, and shorting just enough to make it think the contact is being made on trrs.

Most people have experienced the same basic thing when using headphones and removing/inserting the cable. You'll get all left or right not stereo when the contacts misalign.

JAson

ecaggiani

Feb 18, 2010
www.zazzle.com
I've tried other cables and it still happens on occasion. I'll see about trimming the cable plastic. I was not using a case when it started happening, so that's not it. Maybe a cleaning of the jack could help too.

Eric1987

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
So with my old Hero, I've been listening to Pandora and podcasts through my car stereo by connecting a 3.5" to 3.5" cable from the phone headphone jack to my car stereo's line in jack. Works great.

With my new Evo, it also works...BUT the little icon I get in the notification area on the phone shows a headset with mic, as opposed to simply a headset icon. That's not a problem, except that it keeps launching the voice search or automatically calling someone as if I had said to call. This is without me even touching the phone.

My theory is that for some reason, the cable I am using fakes the Evo into thinking a headset mic is plugged in. This doesn't happen when I plug in normal headphones or ear buds. Only when connecting it using the male-to-male connector in my car.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions?

Make sure its all the way in. When I first got my Evo I thought I put it in all the way and the playback was all ****ed up. Now that you gotta actually PUSH your audio jack in it works perfect. It even sounds better than my Pre did.

flyinglaw

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I had this happen yesterday with my headphones yesterday when I went on my first run with the Evo. It skip, start and restart songs, the voice dialer would pop up and sometimes try and play songs with both Double Twist and the Native Music Player. I thought it had may have had something to with it being in landscape because I had it laying side ways in a fanny pouch since I haven't found another option for running yet. Then I thought maybe it didn't like Double Twist so I uninstalled it. I finally gave up and finished my run with my without my headphones. Then it happen today with a line in cable to my aux port while traveling. I just tried my headphones again and this time I got the "headphone" instead of the "headset" icon and jogged, jumped, twist and turned around my hotel room and not a hiccup. I even switched between two different Scenes and started other apps with out a glitch.

Any ideas?

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. Tried two cables (both the 2-band ones).

I have not noticed if I jiggle the cable or not if it triggers it. I had issues yesterday and this morning, but no issues on the way home tonight (and several times I picked up the Evo to go to the next song)

Will be quite annoying if it happens with headphones, since as soon as I get an armband I'll be jogging and hitting the gym with it.

kidfaces

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking this is my issue as well. I posted a thread about my Evo skipping to the next song when I moved it while running Slacker or Pandora but after some careful molesting of the 3.5 jack I have found that that is the source of my song skipping issue. I too am using a 3.5 to 3.5 aux cable running from my Evo to an old iHome radio I have left over from my iphone days that I have on my desk at work. The radio and cable worked fine with my Pre so I'm now giving the jack on my Evo the stink eye. Oh and I also get the headset icon instead of the headphone. I'm hoping this can be tweaked with a software update...the Pre had some headphone jack issues and they were resolved with software updates.

This on top of the Rhapsody app being completely UNUSABLE is really starting to piss me off! :mad:

mandyd78

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Same issue here also! So glad I'm not the only one! It worked with my hero as well. I've also noticed that my music player skips. That might be a seperate issue, but not sure.

oops Just read the last couple of posts. Apparently skips are part of this too. I'm glad it's not just me, but hoping this can be fixed.

Last edited:

mandyd78

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to note that mine happens when I plug in a belkin fm transmitter to play the music on phone over my fm radio in my car. I get the voice dialer popping up and the skipping of songs and songs starting over. Has happened with Pandora and native music player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol