My HTC Evo 4G is stuck on a reboot infinite loop

Satellite Lyle

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
:D
!!! WAIT!!! DON'T RESET YET!!!

I occasionally have the same problem. It typically occurs on my phone after the battery has run out completely. I plug it in to charge and after a couple minutes power it on, and it goes into the same infinite boot loop.

I panicked the first time, because I didn't have everything backed up. I managed to stumble onto this solution, and it's worked for me every time (3 times so far).

Here's how I do it:

1) First, stop the looping by pulling the battery, and then reinserting it, WITHOUT powering it back on.
2) Make sure the phone has enough charge to run without being plugged in and then UNPLUG the phone. I've done this after charging for maybe 20 minutes.
3) Boot into the hboot menu (hold VOLUME DOWN then momentarily press POWER)
4) Use the volume buttons to highlight RECOVERY and hit the power button.

The phone vibrates, displays the white screen with HTC Evo 4g, then displays a black screen with a large green sync icon over a hard disk. (There's an image here: http://geekfor.me/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/radio_4.1.png)

After about a minute, the icon switches to a red error symbol (triangle with exclamation point) over a cellphone. (There's an image here: http://htcevohacks.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/htc-evo-recovery-mode-4.jpg)

5) At this point, pull the battery, reinsert it, and power it on normally (WITHOUT holding the volume button). The phone boots normally, and all the apps and data are there, just as they were before the loop started.

This is AWESOME! Thank you! it really worked!:D

AverageJoeB52

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm stuck on the Recovery Screen with the green circle and arrow. It has been over 30 minutes, and I'm going to let it continue as I'm going to bed now. I want to know if it is safe to pull the battery during recovery or not.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm stuck on the Recovery Screen with the green circle and arrow. It has been over 30 minutes, and I'm going to let it continue as I'm going to bed now. I want to know if it is safe to pull the battery during recovery or not.

Never a good idea, but just try it and boot into the recovery again.

cainlinville

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Never a good idea, but just try it and boot into the recovery again.

Hey, I'm a NOOB, and of course my sprint evo 4g is in loop. Reading about this problem has been enlightening, to say the least. My phone Gets hung up at 4g screen, then recycles. I've done the basic things, including pulling the battery when I get to the red triangle without success. I CAN get into recovery from there (where it gives the option to use SD card...) by doing vol UP and power.

I cannot/will not factory reset. I, like so many others, ashamedly did not back up my contacts. I HAVE to have my contacts. After doing some reading on this, and other sites, I believe it can be done, I just don't have the savvy to do it myself. To be honest, I don't care about the phone. I just need to pull the contacts, and any other info I can, off of it, and then I'll punt it into the nearest river.

I've never rooted my phone (didn't even know what it was until last night). Here's my settings after I do vol DOWN and power
Locked oow
Supersonic EVT3 Ship S-On
Hboot-2.18.0001
Microp-041f
Touch panel ATMEL224_16ab
Radio-2.15.00.12.19
Dec 21 2011, 12:50:32

One fairly simple solution seems to be the following, but, as I said, I will not do a factory reset, so I want to make sure before I proceed, or see if any of you guys have other solutions...

well actually if you can get into hboot then we can try and install a recovery. it might have gotten corrupted.
you can get the recovery here:pC36IMG RA 2.3.zip
here are the instructions:
1.download the file.
2.rename the file by erasing the "_RA_2.3" part of the name so that it is only named PC36IMG. make sure not to add ".zip" to the name as windows hides extensions.
3.transfer the file to the root (that means not in any folder) of the sd card.
4.power off (you most likely need to uncheck fastboot. settings/apps/uncheck fastboot.) then press and hold power+vol down.
5.hboot should see the file and select yes to update.
6.select no to reboot because we want to go into recovery and make a nandroid backup.
7.select recovery.
8.select backup and restore and select backup
9. select the first three and wimax. the other partitions do not need to be backed up. always keep one nandroid backup with wimax keys backed up on your computer.
10.now you can reboot.

Here's the quick link in case anyone wants to read the surrounding posts
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/399610-htc-evo-4g-stuck-in-boot-loop.html

So, could anyone who knows how to do this PLEASE help me out? If all I have to do is the above, great. I will be truly grateful for any help. Thanks

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey, I'm a NOOB, and of course my sprint evo 4g is in loop. Reading about this problem has been enlightening, to say the least. My phone Gets hung up at 4g screen, then recycles. I've done the basic things, including pulling the battery when I get to the red triangle without success. I CAN get into recovery from there (where it gives the option to use SD card...) by doing vol UP and power.

I cannot/will not factory reset. I, like so many others, ashamedly did not back up my contacts. I HAVE to have my contacts. After doing some reading on this, and other sites, I believe it can be done, I just don't have the savvy to do it myself. To be honest, I don't care about the phone. I just need to pull the contacts, and any other info I can, off of it, and then I'll punt it into the nearest river.

I've never rooted my phone (didn't even know what it was until last night). Here's my settings after I do vol DOWN and power
Locked oow
Supersonic EVT3 Ship S-On
Hboot-2.18.0001
Microp-041f
Touch panel ATMEL224_16ab
Radio-2.15.00.12.19
Dec 21 2011, 12:50:32

One fairly simple solution seems to be the following, but, as I said, I will not do a factory reset, so I want to make sure before I proceed, or see if any of you guys have other solutions...

well actually if you can get into hboot then we can try and install a recovery. it might have gotten corrupted.
you can get the recovery here:pC36IMG RA 2.3.zip
here are the instructions:
1.download the file.
2.rename the file by erasing the "_RA_2.3" part of the name so that it is only named PC36IMG. make sure not to add ".zip" to the name as windows hides extensions.
3.transfer the file to the root (that means not in any folder) of the sd card.
4.power off (you most likely need to uncheck fastboot. settings/apps/uncheck fastboot.) then press and hold power+vol down.
5.hboot should see the file and select yes to update.
6.select no to reboot because we want to go into recovery and make a nandroid backup.
7.select recovery.
8.select backup and restore and select backup
9. select the first three and wimax. the other partitions do not need to be backed up. always keep one nandroid backup with wimax keys backed up on your computer.
10.now you can reboot.

Here's the quick link in case anyone wants to read the surrounding posts
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/399610-htc-evo-4g-stuck-in-boot-loop.html

So, could anyone who knows how to do this PLEASE help me out? If all I have to do is the above, great. I will be truly grateful for any help. Thanks

Never did this, but fair warning, flashing the wrong PC36IMG.zip could brick permabrick your phone, so make sure the zip is correct.

AlexMcQueen

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
hi there...i'm very new here. i've had my phone, the HTC EVO V for Virgin Mobile, for 6 days. day one...heaven. day two...meh, not bad. day 3-today...hell on earth. last night my phone turned off and on so many times, my husband almost threw it out the living room window. i am a complete android rookie, and not terribly tech savvy in general. please tell me what i can do to fix this phone, if anything. i love it so, and do NOT want to be forced back to the iOS.

p.s., like i said, i'm a total rookie. any explanation will have to be in very simple terms :)

p.p.s, i tried the volume down/power button thing. doesn't work on my phone. is there another hard reset option?

thanks everyone :)

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
hi there...i'm very new here. i've had my phone, the HTC EVO V for Virgin Mobile, for 6 days. day one...heaven. day two...meh, not bad. day 3-today...hell on earth. last night my phone turned off and on so many times, my husband almost threw it out the living room window. i am a complete android rookie, and not terribly tech savvy in general. please tell me what i can do to fix this phone, if anything. i love it so, and do NOT want to be forced back to the iOS.

p.s., like i said, i'm a total rookie. any explanation will have to be in very simple terms :)

p.p.s, i tried the volume down/power button thing. doesn't work on my phone. is there another hard reset option?

thanks everyone :)

You shut off your phone fully when you boot into the recovery. Then you hold down Volume Down and then Power and keep holding it down until you see a screen which is referred to as the HBOOT Screen. From there, you'll see at the top ***LOCKED OOW***, followed by some information about your phone and then a menu that you can move through using the volume buttons. At the bottom of the screen, you should see 3 Android figures, and if I remember correctly, they are on skateboards. From there, select the RECOVERY option after it finishes the search for the .zip file for the system. Disregard that for now. Oh my, I'm getting ahead of myself. What exactly is wrong with your device? And the EVO V?

AlexMcQueen

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
thank you so much for the advice. i tried the volume down/power button...nothing happened. i did shut the phone off, then as i was turning it back on, i held down the volume down button for what seemed like forever, and it went into safe mode. i also uninstalled an app that i think was sketch. i've been out of safe mode for 24 hrs, and no issues at all. i have the evo v for virgin mobile. absolutely awesome phone, now that it's working correctly haha. i was an iphone user for a very long time. no way i'll ever go back. love love love this phone. and what an informative forum!! you guys and gals are all so savvy!

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
thank you so much for the advice. i tried the volume down/power button...nothing happened. i did shut the phone off, then as i was turning it back on, i held down the volume down button for what seemed like forever, and it went into safe mode. i also uninstalled an app that i think was sketch. i've been out of safe mode for 24 hrs, and no issues at all. i have the evo v for virgin mobile. absolutely awesome phone, now that it's working correctly haha. i was an iphone user for a very long time. no way i'll ever go back. love love love this phone. and what an informative forum!! you guys and gals are all so savvy!

That's our job here. To help people who run into new problems. :)

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using Android Central Forums

jtillman92

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
okay so i did the hboot recover i too got stuck on te green sync page and then i tried to "volume up + power" and it says
E: cant open /cache/recovery/command
ahhhh, what do i dooooo?

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
okay so i did the hboot recover i too got stuck on te green sync page and then i tried to "volume up + power" and it says
E: cant open /cache/recovery/command
ahhhh, what do i dooooo?

You should still be able to open the recovery...and from there, do what you need to do.

ijustneedhelp

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
hello i have the old htc evo 4g for sprint everything was working semi-alright then my phone died and when i turn it back on it keeps looping the 4g screen and the start up sound. I get to the hboot start up screen by holding the power and volume down button then go down to recovery and let it run its course where it has the green circular arrows above the phone then turns to a red triangle with an exclamation mark. According to the other comment the one lady said just take out the battery and put it back in and start it up normally nd it still didnt work sooooo now what?

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
hello i have the old htc evo 4g for sprint everything was working semi-alright then my phone died and when i turn it back on it keeps looping the 4g screen and the start up sound. I get to the hboot start up screen by holding the power and volume down button then go down to recovery and let it run its course where it has the green circular arrows above the phone then turns to a red triangle with an exclamation mark. According to the other comment the one lady said just take out the battery and put it back in and start it up normally nd it still didnt work sooooo now what?

At the Red Triangle, hold down Volume Up + Power in that order and from the stock recovery, using the volume buttons to navigate, just select "Clear Cache" and this should fix your problem. NOTE: Will factory reset phone (pretty much), you have been WARNED!

jermy88

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
At the Red Triangle, hold down Volume Up + Power in that order and from the stock recovery, using the volume buttons to navigate, just select "Clear Cache" and this should fix your problem. NOTE: Will factory reset phone (pretty much), you have been WARNED!
Bootloop issue: Went through all the steps, in the end i get " E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command
What to do???? Please help

jermy88

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
You should still be able to open the recovery...and from there, do what you need to do.

after i got "E: can't open cache/recovery/etc..." i pulled the battery b/c i couldnt do any thing else. so i waited about one hour and did it again... it worked! now to customizing again.

Last edited:

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Hello, private message me if you still need your phone restored, I provide everything for free, just like the software. Long live AOSP!!!