Sprint Pre to EVO: Linked contacts?

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Just looking for any insight in going from the Pre (Palm profile contacts, Google contacts, Facebook contacts, etc.) to EVO with Android 2.1/2.2.

The Pre was able to fairly seamlessly identify common contacts across different sources thus limiting duplicate contacts in the contact list with only having to link a handful of 600+ contacts manually.

I've only ever transferred contacts directly from one phone to another so I have no idea of the process of going from one cloud device to another so I'm wondering if it's a headache or not. It is one thing I've been regretting when leaving the Pre since it's never had a native way of exporting contacts.

Thanks in advance.

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
If you sync your palm contacts with a google account, couldn't you just get the EVO to pull the contacts off of the google account as well?

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I think the OP is asking about linking contacts, for example if you have a contact that is a gmail contact but they are also a facebook contact, can you link them so you don't have 2 separate contacts for them. I've only used gmail for my contacts so don't know the answer.

ecaggiani

Feb 18, 2010
www.zazzle.com
Yes, the Evo can and does link Facebook, Google, and Twitter contacts. Not sure about Exchange contacts since I don't sync those, but I assume it can do those too.

When in the contacts app, there is a little chain link icon next to the name that shows if a contact is linked. By clicking it, you can see all the linked contacts, and if a contact is similar (Like "Daniel Smith" vs. "Dan Smith") it shows it as a suggestion. You can then accept the suggestion, or clear it.

Eguy

Lloyd Lover
Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Not to mention when you export using the patch, all the linked information stays and gets transferred to google.

DesertSilver#AC

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Just looking for any insight in going from the Pre (Palm profile contacts, Google contacts, Facebook contacts, etc.) to EVO with Android 2.1/2.2.

The Pre was able to fairly seamlessly identify common contacts across different sources thus limiting duplicate contacts in the contact list with only having to link a handful of 600+ contacts manually.

I've only ever transferred contacts directly from one phone to another so I have no idea of the process of going from one cloud device to another so I'm wondering if it's a headache or not. It is one thing I've been regretting when leaving the Pre since it's never had a native way of exporting contacts.

Thanks in advance.

There may be a way to install a patch to do this but, if you have the time and not a huge list of contacts, you should migrate your contacts manually to a Google account.

If you already have a Gmail account, you can go to google.com/contacts to add contact on a PC and then sync the account on the EVO.

Migrating all your contacts should be relatively future-proof also since most smartphones currently sync with Google contacts, calendar, etc.

FuManChuu

May 16, 2010
Visit site
that patch is one of the easiest / cheapest ways to migrate to google... and once you do, you won't ever understand how you lived without cloud contacts.

Sovvy

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I used the patch when it first came out, very nice to get all your contacts on google. Then you can have then sync ton your computer as well if u ever wanna send out an email.

Plus editing the contacts is much nicer on the computer.

Spunks3

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I had a Pre and backed up my contacts that had phone numbers to my Gmail Contacts account... when i loaded android upw ith my gmail account, they synced great. i did have to manuall sync facebook contacts tho, but better than the pre syncing every single one..