Tethering Question About My EVO

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, that's what the PDAnet article linked wants you to believe. Why should I trust some random news article citing a rumor when everything else including the ye olde Sprint contracts say otherwise?

Just because it's "plain tethering" instead of a "hotspot" doesn't mean it is okay.

No one is forcing you to believe it. Don't do it and miss out. I'll be happy tethering. :)

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm new as well to Andriod, but I'm sure there is a way to tether the device without being kicked off the plan. I have been tethering my Samsung Instinct for around 2 years and never had a problem.
I have one question for the Android family here though. I have never tried to use more than one device tethered with my Instinct, is it possible to have more than one device at a time tethered or is it just one device? I know a Hotspot is more than one device, but I don't want to pay the extra $30 dollars!
Thanks

Technically you could do this with bluetooth. by connecting multiple devices over bluetooth as a tethering client on each. But as for wired tethering. Well, you only have 1 usb connector on the phone so probably one 1 device for tethering.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
pdaNet is basicaly the same as above. and even with the built in option in 2.1, it doesn't allow my hero to "share" its internet. Gives me a network error on the phone end.

Thats because your PRI on the Hero ends in 03. If it didn't, then it wouldn't be blocked, and you phone wouldn't say Sprint on it.

fupayme

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Technically you could do this with bluetooth. by connecting multiple devices over bluetooth as a tethering client on each. But as for wired tethering. Well, you only have 1 usb connector on the phone so probably one 1 device for tethering.

Thank you for your help. I use it as Bluetooth now, never tried the USB angle, less wires more fun for me! I don't need more than one device so the article out of Dallas sounds good enough for me! :D

Mystic205

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

Making a simplistic statement that "if I can tether it must be ok to tether" is like saying "my motorocycle can do 150mph, so it must be ok to do that speed" :)

So, just so you folks all know the FACTS, here is an excerpt from the ToS for the Everything Data plan.. see the last line..

This gives the carrier the right to summarily cancel your service without notice.

Everything Data - with Any Mobile, AnytimeSM
Sprint Premier qualifying plan: This plan qualifies you for perks like upgrade benefits beginning at 12 months of service for the primary line, anniversary gifts, six-month plan check-ups, and "just because" extras. Learn more at sprint.com/premier.
Any Mobile, Anytime: Applies when directly dialing/receiving standard voice calls between domestic wireless numbers as determined when the call is placed using independent third-party and Sprint databases. Available with select Sprint plans and while on the Nationwide Sprint or Nextel National Networks (excludes voicemail, 411 and other indirect methods).
GPS: Unlimited maps, turn-by-turn directions and more with Sprint Navigation for Sprint and PowerSource phones, or TeleNav? for Nextel phones. GPS reliability varies by environment.
Sprint Mobile Email: Access multiple personal email accounts in a single application on featured phones. Providers include: AOL, Windows Live (including MSN/Hotmail), Yahoo! and Gmail.
Sprint Mobile Email Work: Access to corporate email on feature phones (non PDA devices) through Outlook Web Access (OWA) or a desktop redirector. If your company uses Lotus Notes Domino, you can obtain access to that email on your phone through redirector software that can be downloaded and then direct mailed to your phone.
Receive corporate email on Microsoft ExchangeSM 2000, 2003 and 2007 and on Lotus NotesSM Domino versions 6.0, 6.5 and 7.0 through a desktop redirector software.
BlackBerry? Internet Service (BIS): Manage up to 10 different accounts with a simple three-click email setup, and IM on the go with Yahoo!? Messenger, AIM?, Google Talk and BlackBerry Messenger. Please note: BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES), which provides secure corporate email access and access to corporate IT administration, is not included and available for an additional cost.
Sprint Radio: Indulge yourself with even more radio channels in addition to discounts on wireless music downloads. View the full Sprint Radio line-up at Sprint Ahead - powered by MSPOT.
Sprint TV: Watch shows, sports, news, movies and more, choose from: exclusive content, short clips or full-length episodes. For the full line-up, visit sprint.com/tvguide.
Messaging: Unlimited nationwide, text, picture and video messages to anyone on any network.
Direct Connect? and Group Connect?: Unlimited instant connections, nationwide and at the push of a button. Group Connect is limited to 20 participants on the same network.
Talk: Nights, Mon-Thurs. 7 p.m. - 7 a.m.; Weekends, Fri. 7 p.m. - Mon. 7 a.m.
Phone as modem or tethering: not included.

Fitz1015

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

Making a simplistic statement that "if I can tether it must be ok to tether" is like saying "my motorocycle can do 150mph,so it must be ok to do that speed" :)

So, just so you folks all know the FACTS, here is an excerpt from the ToS for the Everything Data plan.. see the last line..

This gives the carrier the right to summarily cancel your service without notice.

Sprint Premier qualifying plan: This plan qualifies you for perks like upgrade benefits beginning at 12 months of service for the primary line, anniversary gifts, six-month plan check-ups, and "just because" extras. Learn more at sprint.com/premier.
Any Mobile, Anytime: Applies when directly dialing/receiving standard voice calls between domestic wireless numbers as determined when the call is placed using independent third-party and Sprint databases. Available with select Sprint plans and while on the Nationwide Sprint or Nextel National Networks (excludes voicemail, 411 and other indirect methods).
GPS: Unlimited maps, turn-by-turn directions and more with Sprint Navigation for Sprint and PowerSource phones, or TeleNav™ for Nextel phones. GPS reliability varies by environment.
Sprint Mobile Email: Access multiple personal email accounts in a single application on featured phones. Providers include: AOL, Windows Live (including MSN/Hotmail), Yahoo! and Gmail.
Sprint Mobile Email Work: Access to corporate email on feature phones (non PDA devices) through Outlook Web Access (OWA) or a desktop redirector. If your company uses Lotus Notes Domino, you can obtain access to that email on your phone through redirector software that can be downloaded and then direct mailed to your phone.
Receive corporate email on Microsoft ExchangeSM 2000, 2003 and 2007 and on Lotus NotesSM Domino versions 6.0, 6.5 and 7.0 through a desktop redirector software.
BlackBerry? Internet Service (BIS): Manage up to 10 different accounts with a simple three-click email setup, and IM on the go with Yahoo!? Messenger, AIM?, Google Talk and BlackBerry Messenger. Please note: BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES), which provides secure corporate email access and access to corporate IT administration, is not included and available for an additional cost.
Sprint Radio: Indulge yourself with even more radio channels in addition to discounts on wireless music downloads. View the full Sprint Radio line-up at Sprint Ahead - powered by MSPOT.
Sprint TV: Watch shows, sports, news, movies and more, choose from: exclusive content, short clips or full-length episodes. For the full line-up, visit sprint.com/tvguide.
Messaging: Unlimited nationwide, text, picture and video messages to anyone on any network.
Direct Connect? and Group Connect?: Unlimited instant connections, nationwide and at the push of a button. Group Connect is limited to 20 participants on the same network.

yes i we all know you drive the speed limit never ever going over right :cool: . I will tether ever now and again and if they drop me because of it there the one losing $200 a month not me.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Well i guess the question is then how you interpreted "not included". If you pay for an app that lets you tether, then i would say thats correct, "i had to pay extra for the ability".

It would also be up to sprint to determine weather your streaming a lot of data to your phone, or tethering to your computer, and as web capability in phones increases, so increases the ability to tell it apart.

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Then explain this to me Mr. Rockstar.

If wired tethering is evil and forbidden, why didn't Sprint just rip it out? You don't need to use PdaNet or Easy Tether - it's now BUILT-IN by HTC. Android 2.1 devices all have it as well.

Why bother when they can just disable it remotely? They don't always rip functionality out of phones before release anyway. A lot of that happens post-release.

The Pre had services available for tethering (actual, normal tether) as well, yet those were disabled on Sprint.

Just seems common sense to me.

No one is forcing you to believe it. Don't do it and miss out. I'll be happy tethering. :)

I don't think you really understood the purpose of my post. I'd rather people here be informed that if they're tethering when their contract disallows it, they could lose their service. If you want to take that risk, nothing's stopping you and frankly I don't care, but I think this information needs to be given its due diligence.

Saepak

May 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

Making a simplistic statement that "if I can tether it must be ok to tether" is like saying "my motorocycle can do 150mph, so it must be ok to do that speed" :)

GPS: Unlimited maps, turn-by-turn directions and more with Sprint Navigation for Sprint and PowerSource phones, or TeleNav? for Nextel phones. GPS reliability varies by environment.
That is just it. they state that they are okay with tethering. In this article.

Tethering allowed - Sprint
I posted that earlier in this thread. I thought peeps read these things.

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
That is just it. they state that they are okay with tethering. In this article.

Tethering allowed - Sprint
I posted that earlier in this thread. I thought peeps read these things.

We read and responded to it already, if YOU bothered to read.

This is some random article by some random "contact" stating that they don't block apps, not really stating anything about the actual tethering process.

Not to mention, the previously quoted text is CONTRACTUAL. I don't know about you, but I am going to trust what a contract states a bit more than some random newspaper column writer with a "contact" at Sprint.

Saepak

May 9, 2010
Visit site
I did read the previous posts but it doesn't seem like anyone reads anything but what they think is important, and moves on. WHY WOULD SPRINT LEAVE THE INTERNET SHARING OPEN IF IT WAS NOT ALOUD? is that bold enough?

Setite

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Okay my lovelies. Play nice, and spell check :)

I didn't know my thread would go this ape****. Sprint has promised that the 10$ will grant us truly unlimited data usage. It has been my experience that tethering is usually prohibited in the fine print of the contract unless you expressly pay for a tethering package. The contracts are written that way to allow them to charge you or boot you if you abuse it. I am not sure what they expect people to do with 8 device tethering. The only way I can picture a group using it is in a study group situation.

Either way, time will tell. For now I can say that the 4G is fast, but annoying. Streaming radio on 4G while driving around Las Vegas has proven unsatisfactory. It buggers out a lot. It is my assumption that the 4G gets too weak at the edge of tower coverages to sustain something as simple as inadequately buffered streaming radio. I notice that the signal bars fluctuate more than 3G signal even when stationary. Though, as you may have guessed, it is affected by the interior of my car moreso than 3G, due to the frequency. I have plans to get the Wilson Electronics Sleek signal booster, but I need to determine if it is a blanket signal booster or certain frequencies. If it is the latter it likely will be no use for 4G.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
PDA supports USB and BT tethering, it does not have an option for wifi. You need root access for wifi/ or a Sprint dedicated app. Don't expect the official app to be hacked, as there really isn't a need for it once root is established (and already has been). All you really need is the free wifi tether app and you're set.

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I did read the previous posts but it doesn't seem like anyone reads anything but what they think is important, and moves on. WHY WOULD SPRINT LEAVE THE INTERNET SHARING OPEN IF IT WAS NOT ALOUD? is that bold enough?

They don't "leave it open" all the time, but it's hard for them to shut down every avenue of tethering. This was already explained as well if you actually read. Someone gave a good analogy:

Just because your car can go 150mph doesn't mean you're allowed to.

ilivetowin

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Figured Id jump in with my 2 cents here:

I am going to stay away from the whole topic of Sprints contract and the teethering and all that and ask everyone,

with a device that has a 4.3 inch screen, and is capable of running a variety of apps, aside from business or school situations when do you really need or want to lug around a laptop with you in addition to your phone?

I can see people needed this for work, or even for school and things like that being very useful, but I read this whole post and responses and thought to myself, why did you just read that, youll likely never teether anyways!

I for one love to be able to access the web and do whatever from a device small enough to fit in my pocket and have no interest in teethering and lugging around my 15 inch laptop. Just me tho! new to forums and figured id drop a line or two in here.

And I know there are alot of valid uses for teethering as I mentioned so dont hate me too much! ;) just stating my view on it!

dwhitman

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Figured Id jump in with my 2 cents here:

I am going to stay away from the whole topic of Sprints contract and the teethering and all that and ask everyone,

with a device that has a 4.3 inch screen, and is capable of running a variety of apps, aside from business or school situations when do you really need or want to lug around a laptop with you in addition to your phone?

For me, I doubt I'll tether often, but it could be important for my work laptop.

Our work email and internal network is locked down very tightly. Our laptops have VPN software to securely tunnel in over IP when on the road, but they won't give out the key for any device other than a company laptop. Usually I can find WiFi to connect the laptop to, but if not, tethering would be useful.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci