Tethering Question About My EVO

Setite

May 19, 2010
Visit site
So I got an HTC EVO yesterday on eBay. Well rather it arrived yesterday. So I'm loving the phone right now. I have a question about tethering. When you hook a USB cable up you have options. Those are Charge Only, HTC Sync, Disk Drive, and Internet Sharing. My question is, does the latter offer a free USB tethering option that I wouldn't have to pay the Mobile Hotspot feature. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Also I would love any apps you guys can suggest that showcase off this phone, especially things the iPhone can't do :).

Setite

May 19, 2010
Visit site
That's good to hear. Love the phone, hate the battery cover.. it seems chintzy and prone to warping and the like.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Well just saw this link posted some were else and this looks pretty damn sweet, but Then why the hell charge for the Hotspot now? Outside of just trying to nickle and dime peeps. I really hope this news article is true.
Dallas News On PDA-Net and Hotspot

Hotspot functionality is different than just tethering your ONE laptop. You're sharing with up to 8 other users. More bandwidth, more free internet for those other users. I see the reason for charging for this, but I don't see a reason to charge for tethering one laptop.

error4o4

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I absolutely see no problem paying 10$ if they publically allow single PC tethering.

Paying 29 for Hotspot function isnt unreasonable either.

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I highly doubt that PDAnet article is correct. Everything I've ever read ever about tethering shows that if you don't have the proper service for tethering on your plan, it's against your contract and they can kick you off for it.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I highly doubt that PDAnet article is correct. Everything I've ever read ever about tethering shows that if you don't have the proper service for tethering on your plan, it's against your contract and they can kick you off for it.

lol, Vincent, you're a newbie.......it's cute. Keep reading.

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
When's the last time you read your Sprint contract?

Seriously. Why else would they make such an effort to block tethering in other cases? See also: the Palm Pre.

They arent Blocking tethering, they are blocking Mobile WIFI hotspot. And the $10 premium service is for just that. They specifically stated that because the EVO was going to be using more data over 3g and 4g that this is what the $10 covers. Essentially meaning, you are paying $10 a month for true UNLIMITED data. So, tether ALL YOU WANT!

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
They arent Blocking tethering, they are blocking Mobile WIFI hotspot. And the $10 premium service is for just that. They specifically stated that because the EVO was going to be using more data over 3g and 4g that this is what the $10 covers. Essentially meaning, you are paying $10 a month for true UNLIMITED data. So, tether ALL YOU WANT!

Yeah, that's what the PDAnet article linked wants you to believe. Why should I trust some random news article citing a rumor when everything else including the ye olde Sprint contracts say otherwise?

Just because it's "plain tethering" instead of a "hotspot" doesn't mean it is okay.

Beknatok

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, that's what the PDAnet article linked wants you to believe. Why should I trust some random news article citing a rumor when everything else including the ye olde Sprint contracts say otherwise?

Just because it's "plain tethering" instead of a "hotspot" doesn't mean it is okay.

Then explain this to me Mr. Rockstar.

If wired tethering is evil and forbidden, why didn't Sprint just rip it out? You don't need to use PdaNet or Easy Tether - it's now BUILT-IN by HTC. Android 2.1 devices all have it as well.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
pdaNet is basicaly the same as above. and even with the built in option in 2.1, it doesn't allow my hero to "share" its internet. Gives me a network error on the phone end.

fupayme

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm new as well to Andriod, but I'm sure there is a way to tether the device without being kicked off the plan. I have been tethering my Samsung Instinct for around 2 years and never had a problem.
I have one question for the Android family here though. I have never tried to use more than one device tethered with my Instinct, is it possible to have more than one device at a time tethered or is it just one device? I know a Hotspot is more than one device, but I don't want to pay the extra $30 dollars!
Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12