05-29-2010 02:43 PM
73 123
tools
    Wow, blaming Sprint for a third party charge?
    Nope. Blaming Sprint for detailing it as a feature and not being up front about the added charge. So far they've been spot on with their additional charges for features they've showcased like hotspot and EVO tax.

Just a little upfront knowledge makes a lot of people feel like they were not misled. My two cents.
    05-27-2010 10:35 AM
    haha yea I've kinda grown out of hofo. I still go back once every three or so months, but its not the same. Nice seeing you here though!
    Yeah same here, I haven't been on there in a while and rarely check them out. Nice to see you too!

Nope. Blaming Sprint for detailing it as a feature and not being up front about the added charge. So far they've been spot on with their additional charges for features they've showcased like hotspot and EVO tax.

Just a little upfront knowledge makes a lot of people feel like they were not misled. My two cents.
    This is what irks me as well. I get that Sprint can't necessarily control what a vendor like Qik charges for a service. However when they show off that version of the app like it's the best thing since sliced bread and don't mention a charge, then announce the $10 EVO tax and justify it based on apps like Qik, they should make it clear you have to pay more on top of that. This isn't changing my mind about getting the EVO, but I'm certainly not happy with how Sprint has handled this.
    05-27-2010 11:13 AM
    This is ridiculous if true. Sprint shouldn't be showcasing this feature if Qik plans to charge extra. After all, Sprint doesn't have anything near Verizon's network coverage so Sprint shouldn't be trying to nickel and dime everyone like Verizon does...

Additionally, I don't see how Qik expects anyone to pay for this feature - there aren't going to be that many EVO 4Gs out there compared to say the Iphone 4/HD with video chat. I doubt I will ever be able to use the video chat for Evo to Evo, while I already know a ton of people who plan to get the newest Iphone.
    05-27-2010 11:27 AM
    Problem solved everyone

!
    05-27-2010 11:40 AM
    Problem solved everyone

!
    Yeah, it's Fring using Skype which is what someone posted a link to earlier. I'm just glad there's already a free alternative.
    05-27-2010 11:46 AM
    Bad news about $5 charge for Qik if true. But great news for Fring being free.
    05-27-2010 12:00 PM
    Another Demo

05-27-2010 12:01 PM
    It's cool that Fring is available to use with Skype...

But I'm seriously annoyed at Sprint right now... Whenever they showcased the phone, they advertised the hell out of Qik as being the app to video what with, but failed to mention if Qik was going to charge for video chat.. Sprint did that on bad faith.
    05-27-2010 12:10 PM
    It's cool that Fring is available to use with Skype...

But I'm seriously annoyed at Sprint right now... Whenever they showcased the phone, they advertised the hell out of Qik as being the app to video what with, but failed to mention if Qik was going to charge for video chat.. Sprint did that on bad faith.
    Details probably were not ready before
    05-27-2010 12:18 PM
    Another Demo

awesome!
    05-27-2010 12:54 PM
    So, who cares now that Qik will charge a monthly amount. Nobody will pay for that monthly now that Fring is available for free and you can use skype with it for video. Hopefully Skype won't do anything to block the use.
    05-27-2010 01:07 PM
    I can care less about Qik now. It will be good for streaming live video to their site so friends can watch from their computer but Fring is so much better for the fact that this feature will work with Skype. Because it works with Skype, anyone on a computer can have a video call with you anywhere in the world and also if the new Iphone does have a working front cam, you can have real video calls between Evos and Iphones with this app (all depending on if ATT allows it work with 3g and not just wifi).

Just goes to show that Sprint partnered up with the wrong company for their video chat. Personally I feel Sprint should have worked out a deal with Qik to reduce the fee and ultimately eaten the charge and wrapped it up in the $10 fee.
    05-27-2010 01:12 PM
    can QIK be uninstalled
    05-27-2010 01:14 PM
    So, who cares now that Qik will charge a monthly amount. Nobody will pay for that monthly now that Fring is available for free and you can use skype with it for video. Hopefully Skype won't do anything to block the use.
    Only way I see Skype blocking this is if they come out with a official Skype app for Android that supports this feature for all carriers and not just Verizon.

Skype video chat is already a free feature and this app would if anything get more people to sign up to Skype to use it.
    05-27-2010 01:16 PM
    Wow, I have never heard so much complaining about nothing, first of all its Qik doing the charging for that feature not Sprint, as Im sure other companies like Fring will pop up offering it for free, second of all this is a phone in its own league, If you want to use the premium phone, guess what you have to pay the premium, Man up everybody.
    05-27-2010 01:39 PM
    Nothing has been actually announced, right? Getting worked up before an official announcement is a little silly. Sprint reps have a tendency to spread false rumors. If it does turn out to be 5 buck, then do not buy it.
    05-27-2010 01:43 PM
    I agree, I could eat the $10 but for $5 more for Vid Chat ? I know sprints not the culprit on that one, but still they could have told Qik to eat it. I know im going to use vid chat, from my phone to a family members computer, just depends on whos doing it the best & cheapest ! Who knows, Qik may have more usable features that are worth paying for..
    05-27-2010 06:05 PM
    According to AndroidGuys, the memo below is going out to Sprint Employees tomorrow during training sessions. It does look like Qik will charge $4.99, via PayPal, to video conference with the application. If true, they just lost a customer here. Boy did Sprint mess up by picking them as a partner.

Source: Evo's Qik Video Chat to Cost an Extra $5 a Month... Seriously? | AndroidGuys
    kudosmog likes this.
    05-27-2010 07:52 PM
    I could handle an app for $5 (once), no way would I pay $5 a month for that.
    05-27-2010 08:30 PM
    Screw qik, fring is getting all the attention now

on a side note, would it be possible to uninstall qik or is it permanently on the ROM?
    05-27-2010 08:31 PM

on a side note, would it be possible to uninstall qik or is it permanently on the ROM?
    Root your Evo and you can uninstall what you want.
    05-27-2010 08:51 PM
    I could handle an app for $5 (once), no way would I pay $5 a month for that.
    +1000

There is no reason for a monthly charge, it's an interface program and nothing else. They ride off Sprints bandwidth...
    05-27-2010 09:02 PM
    Goodbye Qik ! Hello Fring!

you would think they would give you a month free to atleast try it !
    05-27-2010 09:05 PM
    haha! you can say that again! $5 to enable this feature, I don't mind. But monthly? forget it!
    05-27-2010 09:17 PM
    Fring sounds like they will be busy and not so much Qik.
    05-27-2010 10:05 PM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD