05-29-2010 02:43 PM
73 123
tools
    Both Engadget and Android & Me are reporting the same. However, looks like their source is Android Guys.

Really??? Qik video chat on the Sprint EVO will cost $5 per month – Android and Me

Qik charging $5 monthly for EVO 4G video chat? -- Engadget

Looks like Fring/Skype combo for me. I'm ok with paying the extra $10 but refuse to pay this additional $5.
    05-27-2010 10:25 PM
    I thought for sure I had read somewhere that Qik was used as a justification for the $10 charge that Sprint was already imposing. Don't know when I would have used the future but I can guarantee I won't pay more to use it.
    05-27-2010 10:28 PM
    I've used Qik for their streaming service for some time now on my WinMo phone. Nice to have live video posted immediately to Facebook and Twitter. But $5 a month for video chat, no way. Looks like Fring will be getting one more download.
    05-27-2010 10:34 PM
    It's cool that Fring is available to use with Skype...

But I'm seriously annoyed at Sprint right now... Whenever they showcased the phone, they advertised the hell out of Qik as being the app to video what with, but failed to mention if Qik was going to charge for video chat.. Sprint did that on bad faith.
    Failed to mention it??? Sprint stated it from day one. Guess you guys overlooked it.

With the launch of HTC EVO 4G, Sprint customers will be able to enjoy capabilities they have never experienced before with a new video chat service from Qik. The two-way voice and video capability will be available as an upgrade to the preloaded Qik app on HTC EVO 4G to enable conversational, interactive, real-time sharing between mobile devices or from mobile-to-desktop.
    Sprint | News Release
    05-27-2010 11:25 PM
    Ha. Qik is dead a week before the phone is released. Good for Fring! I wonder how much Qik paid Sprint/HTC to get an ad on every Evo box...and I wonder how many people will actually pay the extra fee to them? I am not rooting for anyone to fail, but I find it amusing that the possibility exists for Qik to lose money on the Evo release. Considering that Qik has been one of the MAJOR features of this phone's ad campaign, major fail.
    05-27-2010 11:26 PM
    Damn that's wack, making it seem that it was included! Now charging WTF!!

Hello skype/fring
    05-28-2010 12:09 AM
    Skype has an "exclusive app" for Verizon. I wonder if this precludes Skype from making a Video conference mobile app for Android and Sprint. Hope not.

Skype mobile is an exclusive app to Verizon ... However the article also says, "there are other Skype mobile apps available, but the "features and functionality that you'll see [on Skype mobile], you won't see anywhere else. It'll be the best mobile experience out there."
    05-28-2010 12:22 AM
    is this confirmed or just a rumor, I can't imagine this to be true sprints already bleeding customers to the big red. One more fee and its going to cost more for less service at least for me in this area. Is fring a free service?
    05-28-2010 01:21 AM
    Did you even read the thread rem...?

No offense but its an irk of mine when the answers are all throughout the thread and people just post anyway.
    05-28-2010 01:33 AM
    The majority of consumers won't think that they are paying $5 to a 3rd party company or care.

All they care about is that they are paying another $5/month for something that they thought they could get for free and automatically associate that fee with Sprint...it's the consumer mentality

TOTAL FAIL on sprints part...no wonder why they are losing customers and probably won't meet expectations on sales for this as a result. Good job Mr. Hesse!
    05-28-2010 02:55 AM
    05-28-2010 04:54 AM
    That's good news. Fring looks like a good start and I'll certainly use it over paying or Qik, but Skype may be able to put out a better client themselves.
    05-28-2010 08:12 AM
    Did you even read the thread rem...?

No offense but its an irk of mine when the answers are all throughout the thread and people just post anyway.
    No I did not,I was a out last night didn't have time to read through sorry.

So does this qik app come pre installed and can you delete it from the device so that you can have fring on it?
    05-28-2010 09:13 AM
    Now that it's confirmed that Qik is charging $5 for "mobile video chat", has it been clarified if that's just the ability to video chat with another user using Qik?

I know in demo's and reviews, including on this site, it was shown that you can broadcast video using Qik. I think it was called "video sharing". The example that I heard was if you're at a kids piano recital and your significant other couldn't make it, you could use Qik to broadcast an almost-live feed that someone could access from the Qik website.

I'm wondering if "video sharing" is part of the $5 "video mobile chat" option.
    05-28-2010 10:43 AM
    Now that it's confirmed that Qik is charging $5 for "mobile video chat", has it been clarified if that's just the ability to video chat with another user using Qik?

I know in demo's and reviews, including on this site, it was shown that you can broadcast video using Qik. I think it was called "video sharing". The example that I heard was if you're at a kids piano recital and your significant other couldn't make it, you could use Qik to broadcast an almost-live feed that someone could access from the Qik website.

I'm wondering if "video sharing" is part of the $5 "video mobile chat" option.
    I have been using the Qik video sharing for years on various smartphones. It has always been free. It's just this new 2 way video chat that costs $5 per month.
    05-28-2010 11:22 AM
    I have been using the Qik video sharing for years on various smartphones. It has always been free. It's just this new 2 way video chat that costs $5 per month.
    Thanks for the info.

Even if both were free, I'd probably get zero use out of video chat, compared to only a couple uses out of the sharing feature.
    05-28-2010 11:27 AM
    can you still upload videos and pics to lets say facebook with out the qik app?
    05-28-2010 11:30 AM
    can you still upload videos and pics to lets say facebook with out the qik app?
    Yes. They are only charging for Video Chat
    rem_kujawa likes this.
    05-28-2010 11:32 AM
    Fring seems to already be on it. Looks like we have a solution.

Fring to be the First Platform to Bring Video Calling to Android | Android Phone Fans
    Always another Solution with Android... come on!!! keep up

Fring looks awesome So we'll be okay...
    05-28-2010 11:34 AM
    Yes. They are only charging for Video Chat
    so you have the option to live stream to qik site for free then, I personally have no interest as of now to video chat.
    05-28-2010 11:51 AM
    $5 one time charge is no problem, but $5 a month thats $60 a year just to video chat. Hell No.
    05-28-2010 12:19 PM
    I guess we can all off the dogs. AC is now reporting Qik says EVO to EVO video chat will be free, just some unannounced premium features will have a subscription.

http://www.androidcentral.com/qik-re...ill-cost-extra
    05-29-2010 11:10 AM
    yep...it looks like the $5 fee will be fore "premium features" ..those premium features will be announced on the day of the Evo launch

Now, only if Sprint would call off the $10 Evo tax for those not in a 4g market!
    05-29-2010 02:43 PM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD