Qik video chat to cost extra for EVO?

letsgoflyers81

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
A poster on another forum I frequent who is a Sprint employee dropped this little gem tonight: The standard Qik that's available on other devices will continue to be free, but the version that supports video chat will cost $4.99 per month. If this is true, it's ridiculous because we're already getting charged the $10 EVO tax, and now this? On one hand I'm not that upset about it because I'm sure other apps will be out that support two way video chatting soon enough, on the other hand, I'm tired of getting nickel and dimed to death.

The Sprint Megathread: SERO only works with WinMo, stop asking. - The Something Awful Forums

NVNJ

May 24, 2010
Visit site
This is ridiculous. Sprint finally has a Blockbuster phone coming out. I can't see them ruining it by adding all the additional fees for services/apps etc. IE: $5 Qik Fee on top of $10 EVO Fee. Bad move IMO.

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
This is another reason I am not getting the phone, at least on day one. Until all the rumors and semi rumors get settled down. 15 extra a month in this economy doesn't hold well for me.

letsgoflyers81

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Supposedly it may not be Sprint imposing the charge but Qik themselves. If that's true then I guess it's not really Sprint's fault, but it's still pretty bad considering we have the EVO tax. If it's not free I'll just hold off and wait for another app to come along.

As for the hotspot, it's pretty cool about it being free for now but I'm not getting too excited since I'm sure Sprint will get that sorted out.

tntsniper#CB

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Supposedly it may not be Sprint imposing the charge but Qik themselves. If that's true then I guess it's not really Sprint's fault, but it's still pretty bad considering we have the EVO tax. If it's not free I'll just hold off and wait for another app to come along.

As for the hotspot, it's pretty cool about it being free for now but I'm not getting too excited since I'm sure Sprint will get that sorted out.

Letsgoflyers81.. Not to change subjects, but were you a big member on hofo?

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I went over to Qik own forum and this question was asked. Here was the response.

This was replied by an Employee of Qik (Jiuyu)

"Hi (name), Video Chat will be released as a premium feature when EVO is officially launched in June. The Qik version pre-loaded on the EVO given out at Google I/O enables live streaming from phone to web and different sharing options (same as the one from Android Market)."

The person did ask what the price would be, but they are not releasing the information yet.

tntsniper#CB

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I went over to Qik own forum and this question was asked. Here was the response.

This was replied by an Employee of Qik (Jiuyu)

"Hi (name), Video Chat will be released as a premium feature when EVO is officially launched in June. The Qik version pre-loaded on the EVO given out at Google I/O enables live streaming from phone to web and different sharing options (same as the one from Android Market)."

The person did ask what the price would be, but they are not releasing the information yet.

WOW you have to be kidding me.

lshelmir

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Well, there goes the "enhanced data experience" I can do everything else on a hero or a pre, the only other thing that this will do to increase data usage is the hotspot, and that's a different extra charge. (I don't have 4G)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar