05-29-2010 01:43 PM
73 123
tools
    A poster on another forum I frequent who is a Sprint employee dropped this little gem tonight: The standard Qik that's available on other devices will continue to be free, but the version that supports video chat will cost $4.99 per month. If this is true, it's ridiculous because we're already getting charged the $10 EVO tax, and now this? On one hand I'm not that upset about it because I'm sure other apps will be out that support two way video chatting soon enough, on the other hand, I'm tired of getting nickel and dimed to death.

The Sprint Megathread: SERO only works with WinMo, stop asking. - The Something Awful Forums
    05-26-2010 11:17 PM
    screw that! i'll wait for a free webchat app
    05-26-2010 11:21 PM
    The mobile hotspot feature will work with or without the $30/mo charge if you're in a 4G area. Sprint is working to fix this.
    05-26-2010 11:43 PM
    I saw that too lol.
    05-26-2010 11:44 PM
    I believe that its part of the $10 extra fee. I don't think we'll have to pay extra for it.
    05-26-2010 11:53 PM
    Wow if they really charge extra for the video chat, on top of the $10 Evo tax, then it is ridiculous.
    05-27-2010 12:27 AM
    This is ridiculous. Sprint finally has a Blockbuster phone coming out. I can't see them ruining it by adding all the additional fees for services/apps etc. IE: $5 Qik Fee on top of $10 EVO Fee. Bad move IMO.
    05-27-2010 05:19 AM
    This is another reason I am not getting the phone, at least on day one. Until all the rumors and semi rumors get settled down. 15 extra a month in this economy doesn't hold well for me.
    05-27-2010 05:54 AM
    REALLY hoping that this isn't true.
    05-27-2010 06:02 AM
    Supposedly it may not be Sprint imposing the charge but Qik themselves. If that's true then I guess it's not really Sprint's fault, but it's still pretty bad considering we have the EVO tax. If it's not free I'll just hold off and wait for another app to come along.

As for the hotspot, it's pretty cool about it being free for now but I'm not getting too excited since I'm sure Sprint will get that sorted out.
    05-27-2010 07:30 AM
    Supposedly it may not be Sprint imposing the charge but Qik themselves. If that's true then I guess it's not really Sprint's fault, but it's still pretty bad considering we have the EVO tax. If it's not free I'll just hold off and wait for another app to come along.

As for the hotspot, it's pretty cool about it being free for now but I'm not getting too excited since I'm sure Sprint will get that sorted out.
    Letsgoflyers81.. Not to change subjects, but were you a big member on hofo?
    05-27-2010 07:39 AM
    I went over to Qik own forum and this question was asked. Here was the response.

This was replied by an Employee of Qik (Jiuyu)

"Hi (name), Video Chat will be released as a premium feature when EVO is officially launched in June. The Qik version pre-loaded on the EVO given out at Google I/O enables live streaming from phone to web and different sharing options (same as the one from Android Market)."

The person did ask what the price would be, but they are not releasing the information yet.
    05-27-2010 07:51 AM
    I went over to Qik own forum and this question was asked. Here was the response.

This was replied by an Employee of Qik (Jiuyu)

"Hi (name), Video Chat will be released as a premium feature when EVO is officially launched in June. The Qik version pre-loaded on the EVO given out at Google I/O enables live streaming from phone to web and different sharing options (same as the one from Android Market)."

The person did ask what the price would be, but they are not releasing the information yet.
    WOW you have to be kidding me.
    05-27-2010 07:54 AM
    Well, there goes the "enhanced data experience" I can do everything else on a hero or a pre, the only other thing that this will do to increase data usage is the hotspot, and that's a different extra charge. (I don't have 4G)
    05-27-2010 08:05 AM
    i DONT THINK THEY WILL BE CHARGING FOR THAT AND NOT EVEN QIK IF THEY DO ...simply total failure...
    05-27-2010 08:11 AM
    REALLY hoping that this isn't true.
    Me too, that's kind of ridiculous. I hope we see Google video chat or something soon.
    05-27-2010 08:11 AM
    I hope we see Google video chat or something soon.
    Amen.

This taxing is getting ridiculous. If they tout it as a feature of the phone and advertise it as such, it should be included in the EVO tax. Man up, Sprint.
    05-27-2010 08:15 AM
    Wow, blaming Sprint for a third party charge?
    NorthBayX415 likes this.
    05-27-2010 08:25 AM
    Letsgoflyers81.. Not to change subjects, but were you a big member on hofo?
    Yeah, that was quite a few years ago. I thought I recognized your username!
    05-27-2010 08:30 AM
    Fring seems to already be on it. Looks like we have a solution.

Fring to be the First Platform to Bring Video Calling to Android | Android Phone Fans
    Jerzey McNasty likes this.
    05-27-2010 09:13 AM
    fring seems to already be on it. Looks like we have a solution.

fring to be the first platform to bring video calling to android | android phone fans
    and there you have it!!!
    05-27-2010 09:20 AM
    Fring seems to already be on it. Looks like we have a solution.

Fring to be the First Platform to Bring Video Calling to Android | Android Phone Fans
    Haha, good for Fring. I didn't really like their app as an IM client, but if it's free and does video chatting, I'll use that before I pay for Qik.
    05-27-2010 09:23 AM
    I managed to swallow the 10$/month but this is getting retarded.

Not that I know anyone else getting an Evo so ill probably use the livestream more than the video chat, but still!
    05-27-2010 09:25 AM
    while this is one of the biggest thing I have been waiting for with this phone..there is no way I will pay 5 dollars extra to get a feature I may only casually use..I am thinking this is just a rumor and hopefully will be worked out in the coming week..I have sold myyself on the 10 dollar charge (even though I am in an area without 3g) because this feature along with others will use a considerable amount of data..but this charge would be a complete failure. I know there will also be many other programs that will give us this feature free...8 more days can't wait!!!!
    05-27-2010 09:27 AM
    Yeah, that was quite a few years ago. I thought I recognized your username!
    haha yea I've kinda grown out of hofo. I still go back once every three or so months, but its not the same. Nice seeing you here though!
    05-27-2010 09:33 AM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD