Can I receive call while surfing the web?

boxta

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I am currently an iphone user, and thinking about switching to EVO 4G. But I know CDMA cannot do data / voice at the same time.... which i THINK i can deal with that..

but I need to know if I can at least receive phone calls while I am using the data connection, or will it usually just go to voice mail when people call at the time i am downloading things?... this would be a deal breaker

please let me know thanks

Night Train

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure you can.

I just called my Sprint Palm 755p while browsing the web and it showed the call from my work phone that I'd just placed to see if it could indeed get calls while surfing. When the call ended, it went right back to the web page I'd been on.

Exstatica

May 3, 2010
www.exstatica.net
Yeah, they finally announced at Google I/O that you can do voice and data at the same time in 4g areas, otherwise the call will just interrupt your browsing session.

DesertSilver#AC

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Wifi: voice can happen simultaneously
4G data: voice can happen simultaneously
3G data: call comes in, data stops
1X data: call goes to voicemail during data transmissions

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I think you guys are seeing his question incorrectly.

He's asking that if he's surfing the web, will a call come through?
The answer is YES.

But you can't be on a call and surf on 3G.
You can be on a call and then surf the web on 4g or Wifi.

Gelst

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
In all honesty, I rarely have the need to use both at the same time.

I will use it all the time. Whenever I am on the phone with my girlfriend I use my bluetooth so that I can do other things while she yaps and yaps ... being on my bluetooth will enable me to use the phone to browse the internet and look at adult material while listening to my girfriend :D

It's one of the many things that I hate about the Palm Crapre that I can't talk and surf at the same time because of the 3g limitations.

Last edited:

DesertSilver#AC

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I will use it all the time. Whenever I am on the phone with my girlfriend I use my bluetooth so that I can do other things while she yaps and yaps ... being on my bluetooth will enable me to use the phone to browse the internet and look at adult material while listening to my girfriend :D

It's one of the many things that I hate about the Palm Crapre that I can't talk and surf at the same time.

There may be many other reason to hate the Pre but you need to get educated because not being able to use voice and 3G data is not Pre-specific. It's a Sprint network limitation.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
i have googled already, and know it can't do data / voice at the same time.. but not sure if it can receive call at the minimum... "thank you". interesting link though

but it's good news that at least it received call at least, when i am on data.

You CAN have a call and surf at the same time, but ONLY under two scenarios:

1. You're in a 4G area (check here: http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g/11257-where-sprint-has-4g-service-updated-5-5-a.html )

2. You're in a wifi area

SilverZero

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Follow-up question: If you're surfing on 3G and a call comes in, does it automatically interrupt the data session, or only if you ACCEPT the call? Because I can think of a great way to seriously annoy people who are 3G surfing if it's the former.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
He's right about the Pre. It's not its fault it can't do both, it's the 3G.
I thought it was a limitation of CDMA, meaning Verizon phones have the same problem.

What I HATE about CDMA is when you get a call while on a call, there's no way to hang up the 2nd call, meaning both are running until you hit the End All Calls button. Just retarded to the max.

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I thought it was a limitation of CDMA, meaning Verizon phones have the same problem.

What I HATE about CDMA is when you get a call while on a call, there's no way to hang up the 2nd call, meaning both are running until you hit the End All Calls button. Just retarded to the max.

Well, that's what I meant when I said 3G (Sprint and Verizon's). Apparently, CDMA is actually capable of simultaneous voice and data too or maybe it's some variant of it. It was never enabled or bought into wide use, so it just died out.

Also, that thing about not being able to end one of the calls sounds like a phone limitation, not a network one.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie