Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have not seen any bad reviews.

43 43.88%
  • I have seen a bad review from a tech site

21 21.43%
  • Only iPhone fanboys scared of the device posting in YouTube

22 22.45%
  • You need to use melted cheese when you pour it on the weasle or it will just shake it off.

16 16.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Who has seen any bad Evo reviews. Not just one part like they battery does not last long enough or they did not like the on screen keyboard, or the extra $10. Just a real bad review?"
    05-28-2010 04:24 AM
    I have not seen any truly bad reviews. I personally have only had a minor hiccup with the phone, that is likely my own doing. Warning, dismount the device from your computer properly. A month ago I would have told you that its a waste of time to properly eject a device, as I never do. But today, I corrupted the SD Card by not dismounting prior to unplugging the USB cable.

The only negative I have seen in a review was some complaints about the HDMI output. I have ordered a cable, but it will probably take a year to get here. When it does I will personally test the HD on my Vizio. My only complaint is that the phone has the most fingerprintable screen i have ever seen. I may just buy a stylus for the damn thing, I am tired of wiping the screen off.

P.S. They need to make a horizontal dock like the droid one so I can utilize the desk clock feature/alarm clock without fear that I will knock my phone across the room and into a wall when I whirl to shut it off.
    05-28-2010 05:07 AM
    I have not seen any truly bad reviews. I personally have only had a minor hiccup with the phone, that is likely my own doing. Warning, dismount the device from your computer properly. A month ago I would have told you that its a waste of time to properly eject a device, as I never do. But today, I corrupted the SD Card by not dismounting prior to unplugging the USB cable.

The only negative I have seen in a review was some complaints about the HDMI output. I have ordered a cable, but it will probably take a year to get here. When it does I will personally test the HD on my Vizio. My only complaint is that the phone has the most fingerprintable screen i have ever seen. I may just buy a stylus for the damn thing, I am tired of wiping the screen off.

P.S. They need to make a horizontal dock like the droid one so I can utilize the desk clock feature/alarm clock without fear that I will knock my phone across the room and into a wall when I whirl to shut it off.
    I need to use mine the same way so I ordered a generic dock with 4 port hub from thinkgeek for $16. They dont show it but other sites have pics of a phone in landscape on it. It has some super grippy stuff on it to prevent it falling off but ymmv.
    05-28-2010 06:08 AM
    With the exception of engadget I have only seen erroneous canned garbage or content that must have been pilfered from youtube vids or message boards.
    Most of them (mainstream reviews) look like they are being done by people who can use a device but have no desire or capability to understand how it really works.
    05-28-2010 06:16 AM
    Walt Mossman's review wasn't too glowing. Although 95% of his review complained about how bad the 4G service was, not the phone.
    05-28-2010 08:34 AM
    Pretty much all "bad" reviews are focused on the quality of the 4G service. Since I won't initially have 4G, it doesn't matter much to me. Hopefully Sprint can fix the 4G issues over the next couple of years.
    05-28-2010 11:26 AM
    From what I've seen they only thing their knocking is the $10 fee and battery life. a $10 isnt nothing though when AT&T charges $30 for their premium devices....
    05-28-2010 11:32 AM
    Does poorly written count?
    05-28-2010 12:37 PM
    Giving the phone a bad review bc of 4g not being in certain areas is BS bc if the phone didnt have 4G…it would still be better than the rest…..not to mention I dont see the iphone getting negative reviews because AT&T sucks with their service and dropped calls..its just the sprint haters, thats all
    05-28-2010 02:46 PM
    I can attest that I have been underwhelmed by the 4G coverage in Las Vegas. But that is because I value mobile internet as being capable of streaming pandora at 80mph. As I understand it thus far, this is not fully possible. I will have to print out the coverage map and see if my connection tapers out according to the map. In the meantime I'm gonna contact Wilson Electronics to see if they have a booster that will work for WiMax.
    05-28-2010 02:59 PM
    Read Droid Incredible reviews if you want to, the phones are basically the same internally.
    05-28-2010 03:47 PM
    The negative reviews focus on three main things - 4G coverage, battery life, and the $10 "Premium Data" surcharge - and one thing they don't admit to.

* 4G Coverage - They bash the EVO for not having 4G reception - which is the fault of Sprint, not HTC - yet when's the last time, if ever, you've heard the iPhone docked points because it can't actually get 3G coverage in huge swaths of America? (As the Verizon ads pound mercilessly.) I have a friend in Kokomo, IN who has been waiting for 3G service for his iPhone 3G for TWO YEARS and still has no idea of when it's going to happen. Why doesn't the iPhone get dinged like the EVO for the carrier's shortcomings?

* Battery - It's apparently not known well enough that there is a conditioning phase for batteries which can make drastic improvements in battery life. Also, during the honeymoon phase with a phone, you're playing with everything in a much higher percentage of overall time than you will in normal usage. It also drives me crazy when, as in the Wired review, they turn on the 4G antenna in a known non-4G area and then write, "Using 4G really drains the battery quickly." Ya think?!?!?!?

I had a dumbphone before my Pre. I'd have to charge it every few days. Then I get my Pre and I was almost out of gas after 10 hours. I couldn't even make it thru a full work day. However, after configuring my settings and conditioning the battery a couple of weeks, I was able to run 14-18 hours with normal (for me) use. These "reviewers" clearly aren't putting the time in to get power use squared away.

* $10 Data Surcharge - This is the closest to being a legit complaint, except it's an issue with SPRINT, not the HTC EVO!!! The thing is that what this charge is supposed to do is actually put the unlimited in our "unlimited" data plans. 2/3rds of the way thru the month on my Pre, I'm showing 400MB of data usage, so I've never been in danger of hitting the supposed 5GB/mo. limit that "unlimited" plans give. Again, this is a beef with Sprint, not the phone IMO, but reviewers are still docking it. You can't tether an iPhone on AT&T yet despite the claim it was "coming soon" last June, but is anyone docking the iPhone 3GS for this? Nope.

This leads to the thing the reviewers are also dinging the EVO's score over: It's not made by Apple. Tech journalists who aren't total fanchimps for Apple are harder to find than actors in Hollywood willing to admit they didn't vote for Obama. It's total groupthink in the tech journalism biz with a constant competition to suck up to Lord Jobs.* You can count the number of journos who get pre-release products to review from Apple on one hand, so why anyone takes the word of Walt Mossberg seriously, either for Apple products or against non-Apple products, is a mystery. Continued favored access is dependent upon continued favorable coverage. The moment Walt crosses Steve, it's over, so even if the iPad caused radiation burns on the hands which led to a 20% mortality rate, Walt would hail it as the end of paper media.

All the complaints about the size of the display, whether it's a TFT LCD vs. AMOLED, whether it's 4G or not, etc. will become points of praise the moment a logo depicting a nibbled piece of fruit appears on the back of the unit. I'll bet that if you handed these dopes an EVO that was exactly the same in every way but all things that said Android or Google were changed to Apple nomenclature, they'd be griping that a 10/10 score wasn't sufficient to convey the sheer WIN of the iPhone 4. They'd be writing, "Forget gay marriage! I want the laws changed so I can marry this awesome new iPhone!!!! We will celebrate our love with.....what? Wait? What are you saying? It's NOT the new iPhone but it's an Android phone on Sprint?!? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! That can't be!!!! Only Apple makes things this awesome!!!! That's why I have an Apple logo tattooed my left butt cheek and Steve Jobs on my right one. You're kidding, right? It's really an iPhone, isn't it? It isn't? FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU..."

Screw tech "journalists."

* I was listening to TWiT a couple of weeks back and they were in universal agreement that it was awesome that Jobs sent the SWAT team to kick in the Gizmodo reporter's door and take his computers and this should be a lesson to all journalists to respect the power of Jobs. It was sickening. It's not as if Jason Chen broke into the Apple lab and absconded with an iPhone prototype.
    Kedar likes this.
    05-29-2010 03:09 PM
    not sure if anyone posted this one yet...but its clearly not a glowing review.

An iPhone Lover’s Take On The HTC EVO 4G

this guy has no love at all for the evo. and everyone is retweeting this on twitter it seems. thats where i found it.
    05-29-2010 05:39 PM

An iPhone Loverís Take On The HTC EVO 4G

this guy has no love at all for the evo. and everyone is retweeting this on twitter it seems. thats where i found it.
    I read that review and the guy is obviously an iphone fanboy. I'm a realist and know there are problems with any phone, but he is seriously anti-Evo.
    05-29-2010 06:29 PM
    I had to reply to that one, so biased.
    05-29-2010 06:41 PM
    I love my iPhone 3GS, but this review is strange. His buddy almost broke the kickstand off because he thought it was a battery access lever?!?! How about doing a little research before manhandling the phone?!

And too large?! Gimme a break. The EVO is about 1/4" longer and 1/8" wider than the iPhone.

I'll try to not be so moronic when I get my EVO next Friday.
    05-29-2010 06:53 PM
    It is totally biased....but its funny because it seems that he likes the nexus one at least a little. I was reading the comments and someone asked him why he didn't comment on the HDMI output and his reply was...best feature most people will never use. wow... too bad people seem to be retweeting this like its the gospel or something.
    05-29-2010 06:58 PM

I could not make it through that crap he was writing.
    05-29-2010 07:05 PM

I found it odd that he's only getting 4 hours of moderate usage at most out of the phone and that his battery usage was... however it was. Not really sure how to describe it. I'm guessing he left too many programs running or had something configured in a way that it would be a ridiculously large resource drain. Anyone with more experience handling Android (only gotten to play with it on friend's phones up until next Friday :P) want to offer some clarification?
    05-29-2010 07:11 PM
    I think he slammed it hoping the new iphone will be better, but based on the leak specs, it wont be.
    05-29-2010 07:20 PM
    Wow I have never seen a review that one sided. hdmi the best feature people won't use? I plan on using it all the time. As for the battery I'm betting that ***** didn't turn off the 4g after testing it (no clue why he tested it not having coverage). His friend isn't to bright if he almost broke the kick stand off. If he knew anything about the phone he would have know how to get to the battery.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk
    05-29-2010 07:35 PM
    In that review....

He says there is lag when you scroll through apps... and says that 2.2 Froyo fixes it. However, it ships with 2.1.
    Then he says that there is a front and back facing camera. Afterwards he says "the new Iphone has a front and back facing camera too"...

What the heck? It's okay if you mention something that's going to be released and we don't know when (new Iphone)... but it's not okay if you mention something that's going to be released and we don't know when (2.2 Froyo).
    05-29-2010 07:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD