05-30-2010 01:25 AM
42 12
tools
    can the Evo be activated in the sprint store without opening the Box?
    05-28-2010 07:17 PM
    That I'm not 100% sure, but I don't see why not. All the ESN information is on the box anyways, which I think is all they need to activate it. But then again, I'm not a Sprint employee... so it's just speculation
    05-28-2010 07:23 PM
    Well they auto program themselves so yes. You get it on the account and then it programs when you turn it on. If you are planning on turning around and selling it understand that it if does not stay on the account until the rebate processes you will not get it back.
    05-28-2010 07:40 PM
    I do not think this is possible.. I remember something from the myriad of posts in the past and this was not possible but I may be speaking out of my @$$.
    05-28-2010 07:43 PM
    No I do not plan on selling it, I kinda wanted to make my own unbox video.
    05-28-2010 08:38 PM
    Yeah just ask the sales rep to not open the box. It will automatically activate itself once its turned on you just need to make sure they have the serial number on the account.
    05-28-2010 08:40 PM
    I am picking up my business partners Evo, so it would be great if they could just activate it without having to turn the phone on, and that it will just do all the rest when it is being turned on.

Come to think of it, all the phones that were given away on Google IO looked like they were never openend, and when they turned it on for the first time it went throught the programming routine, so I guess it should be possible to activate without them touching it?
    05-28-2010 08:42 PM
    cool thanks for the replys
    05-28-2010 08:43 PM
    I know that my pixi shipped from sprint unopened, and it activated upon turn on. But there was a sticker with the phone number on the box.
    05-28-2010 10:31 PM
    I stand corrected! I just went through the Radioshack thread, thought that is where I saw it.. Anyway, the recommended opening it in the store because there have been instances where stuff was missing i.e. batteries, cords, etc...

Sorry...:o
    05-28-2010 10:38 PM
    I stand corrected! I just went through the Radioshack thread, thought that is where I saw it.. Anyway, the recommended opening it in the store because there have been instances where stuff was missing i.e. batteries, cords, etc...

Sorry...:o
    Yeah but you don't have to turn it on while you're there, right?
    05-29-2010 04:02 AM
    the only reason they would want to power up the phone before you leave the store would be to confirm that everything is working.... they don't want to send a customer out of the store with a defective or non activated phone...... it's just customer service procedure, but I'm sure if you asked them nicely, they might do it.
    05-29-2010 08:15 AM
    I kinda want to just pick mine up an do it myself because I remember the first day getting the palm pre….i had to sit through all of that waiting for the sprint reps to activate it and I felt slighted bc they had fun with it before I did…lol
    05-29-2010 09:44 AM
    I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure they will need to turn the phone on to program it. Since we don't use SIM cards with the majority of phones for Sprint, they program through the phone itself.

someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    05-29-2010 10:31 AM
    The guy I talked to at RS said everything is done through the computer. As mentioned a few posts above, it would be wise to turn it on while at the store in case the phone is defective, parts missing, etc.

Not to mention, if you wait and find out something is wrong after you get home it might be too late by the time you return it as their stock may be sold out.
    05-29-2010 10:39 AM
    I just called a sprint corporate store and they said I could take it. Everything is done on the computer. I might just open the box just make sure everything is in there but I will leave all the plastic on.
    05-29-2010 10:46 AM
    I preordered at bestbuy and I'm planning on asking them to just activate it, because I just don't want them handling my phone. I was just up there the other day and they were showing this elderly lady how to work her phone and girl behind the counter actually droped it, picked it up and kind of flopped it back on the counter. I was like hell naw.
    05-29-2010 11:09 AM
    I preordered at bestbuy and I'm planning on asking them to just activate it, because I just don't want them handling my phone. I was just up there the other day and they were showing this elderly lady how to work her phone and girl behind the counter actually droped it, picked it up and kind of flopped it back on the counter. I was like hell naw.
    Seriously man! i dont want them messing with it either...i can see it already them sliding it to me from across the counter or some crap...scratching the camera lens up!
    05-29-2010 12:02 PM
    I watched on two separate occasions at an unnamed Corporate sprint store I watched the guy open my pre and set it on the hard counter and begin to spin it like a top. I didn't say anything because both times the device was replaced. I know its just a phone but its my phone. I would never do anything like that to one of our customers products.
    05-29-2010 12:07 PM
    Seriously man! i dont want them messing with it either...i can see it already them sliding it to me from across the counter or some crap...scratching the camera lens up!
    At that point, you just look at them without touching it, and say "I feel sorry for this demo, lets not try that with MY PHONE".
    05-29-2010 12:08 PM
    I watched on two separate occasions at an unnamed Corporate sprint store I watched the guy open my pre and set it on the hard counter and begin to spin it like a top. I didn't say anything because both times the device was replaced. I know its just a phone but its my phone. I would never do anything like that to one of our customers products.
    i think that calls for a -

"do you mind not doing that? thank you."
    05-29-2010 12:10 PM
    I'm glad I made this tread then, just thought it was me.
    05-29-2010 12:12 PM
    I do that all the time with my Pre, open it up and spin it like a top. So much fun
    05-29-2010 12:12 PM
    I do that all the time with my Pre, open it up and spin it like a top. So much fun
    but its your phone and you have that right.
    05-29-2010 12:19 PM
    Yea, I've done that with my BB Curve, but it was FREE and already had signs of extreme wear + water damage. Still working as good as day 1 though...

But if something like that happened to my new Evo, I think that the employee and I would be having a little convo, if its on launch date then I probably would be late for work (AND I'M NEVER LATE FOR WORK).
    05-29-2010 12:22 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD