If there's an issue regarding the microsd then the phone is pretty useless. Hope there's quite a few people out there not experiencing this. I was also concerned when I saw the engadget review. A spring loaded slot would have made more sense to me.
    05-28-2010 08:16 PM
    I think they install the card that way to keep someone from accidentally removing it while an app that is partially installed on it is running. There is a reason why there is an option to mount and unmount the micro sd card. I still have a 8 gb card that's a class 4 which I know is good, that's the card I am going to use.
    05-28-2010 08:29 PM
    Feeling pretty lucky now anyways........looked in my old HTC Touch Pro and found a nice 8gb Class 4 that I will use if I run into any problems
    05-28-2010 08:59 PM
    Do you really think the phone would be useless even with a faulty microSD slot? It would be a hassle and you might be limited to the amount of data you could carry around with you, but "useless" is a bit extreme, I think. Just my opinion, of course.

Maybe they could solve this issue with a little built-in USB host option, perhaps? Allow us to use external storage devices maybe? I know that would be a battery killer, but still. . . .
    05-28-2010 09:05 PM
    I would definitely call it useless. No music, no movies, limited apps (certainly no 3d games).
    05-28-2010 10:12 PM
    I also had a couple of corrupt pictures on my SD card, and when I ran the SD Speed Test app, it said the write speed was only 1MB/s and read was like 2 or something. It said "Class Unknown".

But I swapped out the card with the one in my Hero and ran the SD Speed Test app again and it was rated at write: 8MB/s and read: 13MB/s !!! It still showed "Class Unknown" but the speeds were great!

I then ran the speed test on my Hero with the Evo's old card and it rated it as Class 2. Each time you run the test you get slightly different results.

The weirdest part...the original 8GB card in the Evo was a SanDisk, whereas the 8GB card in the Hero didn't even have a brand name on it but got much better numbers.

So needless to say, the Evo gets the better card now, and it's working great! :-) Sorry Hero!

My takeaway is that these Evo's just got a ****ty batch of SD cards, but the Evo itself is fine. These cards can vary greatly, even within the same brands, so I recommend testing the one you get with your phone, and if it's slow or acting all corrupty, get a new one, and if not, you're in luck.
    05-29-2010 01:16 AM
    I also had a couple of corrupt pictures on my SD card, and when I ran the SD Speed Test app, it said the write speed was only 1MB/s and read was like 2 or something. It said "Class Unknown".

But I swapped out the card with the one in my Hero and ran the SD Speed Test app again and it was rated at write: 8MB/s and read: 13MB/s !!! It still showed "Class Unknown" but the speeds were great!

I then ran the speed test on my Hero with the Evo's old card and it rated it as Class 2. Each time you run the test you get slightly different results.

The weirdest part...the original 8GB card in the Evo was a SanDisk, whereas the 8GB card in the Hero didn't even have a brand name on it but got much better numbers.

So needless to say, the Evo gets the better card now, and it's working great! :-) Sorry Hero!

My takeaway is that these Evo's just got a ****ty batch of SD cards, but the Evo itself is fine. These cards can vary greatly, even within the same brands, so I recommend testing the one you get with your phone, and if it's slow or acting all corrupty, get a new one, and if not, you're in luck.
    How do you test it?
    05-29-2010 01:22 AM
    I enjoyed your post ecaggiani...i will def try that and I hope everyone gets good cards with their EVO on the 4th
    05-29-2010 01:25 AM
    Go to the market and download an app called "SD Speed Tester". All it does is write 200MB of data to the card, reads the data, then erases the data. Then it tells you the read/write speeds and guesses the card's class from that. When you get "Class Unknown" I'm assuming it means the numbers are too high/low and falls outside of its guessing parameters.
    BigRick10 and MannyZ28 like this.
    05-29-2010 01:43 AM
    Go to the market and download an app called "SD Speed Tester". All it does is write 200MB of data to the card, reads the data, then erases the data. Then it tells you the read/write speeds and guesses the card's class from that. When you get "Class Unknown" I'm assuming it means the numbers are too high/low and falls outside of its guessing parameters.
    Gracias Senor
    05-29-2010 01:45 AM
    I am not finding the "SD Speed Tester" on appbrain. Can you link me up to it on appbrain?
    05-29-2010 02:12 AM
    Hmm not seeing it on appbrain either. Weird.

--------
    Sent from my HTC Evo 'cause that's how I roll.
    05-29-2010 03:15 AM
    05-29-2010 03:50 AM
    I find that you must be careful witht he card. It is very picky on proper unmounting. I have run this SD Card Speed Tester on the stock card. It tested at a Write speed of 2MB/s and a Read of 5MB/s for a Class of 2. I will try for a screen shot.

I can't seem to retest it though
    05-29-2010 04:56 AM
    That's the one :-)

--------
    Sent from my HTC Evo 'cause that's how I roll.
    WatermelonSlim likes this.
    05-29-2010 11:20 AM
    I am hoping that my 8 GB class 4 will do the trick.

Has anyone asked HTC what the maximum speed is that the Evo can take advantage of? That would be interesting to know, no sense spending money on a high class card if the Evo maxes out at 4 or 6.
    05-29-2010 01:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD