05-31-2010 08:29 AM
60 123
tools
    Man I had a hard time reading that!

An iPhone Lover’s Take On The HTC EVO 4G

Would love to have some opinions from the guys that already have an Evo.
    05-29-2010 10:31 PM
    Take this with a grain of salt. TechCrunch has a well known Apple bias. You can clearly tell from the review that he was out for blood. The goal was this: rip apart the best Android phone currently on the market while talking up how great the 4th gen iPhone will be. Battery life is highly dependent on how you use it and more specifically what apps are installed and how well they are coded. For instance, the reviewer may have installed a bunch of apps that poll frequently (heck he might have specifically setup apps to poll VERY frequently just to skew the results). People can complain all they want about battery life, but you don't get all the functionality for nothing.
    05-29-2010 10:35 PM
    some reviews were able to get 4 hours of heavy 4g hotspot use while this guy can't even get 4 hours with 'moderate use?' ... cmon
    05-29-2010 10:46 PM
    that has to be the most biased review i have ever read. but you know what i do not care what they say. EVO JUNE 4tH!
    05-29-2010 10:49 PM
    He said something about the evo being slow and that it takes a minute for the camera to start. Uh, so far people have been talking about how fast it is! That guy has some balls writing all this stuff.
    05-29-2010 10:49 PM
    And what about a "lag" in the software? Everyone here is saying there's no lag whatsoever.......
    05-29-2010 10:52 PM
    dam i read that and stepped back for a second ... should i upgrade to this device ... then after a few secs i said hell ya ...
    05-29-2010 10:53 PM
    LOL!....those jackasses screen comments.

I will never ever read techcrunch again. What a bunch of idiots.

If i was an editor/in charge at techcrunch I would fire that fool on the spot.
    05-29-2010 10:53 PM
    the guy is just an apple fanboy trying to incite riots. oh well.
    05-29-2010 10:54 PM
    some reviews were able to get 4 hours of heavy 4g hotspot use while this guy can't even get 4 hours with 'moderate use?' ... cmon
    He seemed to experience a ton of lag on the device and his battery died with his "moderate usage" at 4 hours. His read-out showed that the system was using up 70-whatever-percent of the battery? I want to know how many processes that guy had running, because it has to be record-worthy.
    05-29-2010 10:59 PM
    Having a bias point of view is one thing, but this article just contridicts too many of the written and video reviews I've seen to take it seriously. Now if I was an Apple fanboy I would be like hellz yea.
    05-29-2010 10:59 PM
    TechCrunch (to me) is one of the crappier tech related sites out there... I find their editors very biased, and the owner of the site - Mike Arrington is a complete jackass.

Hell, even the CEO of Yahoo told Arrington to "F**k off": Yahoo! CEO Carol Bartz Tells Michael Arrington to "F*ck Off"

Leo Laporte of This Week in Tech (TWiT) is a pretty mellow and reasonable guy, Arrington set him off by questioning his credibility:
    05-29-2010 11:00 PM
    Obviously the most reliable and truthful review of the phone yet. :rolleyes:
    05-29-2010 11:03 PM
    Come on, how could apple lover knows about yogort?! As to myself, i was looking for my phone for last 8 months, starting with iPhone, the real turn off is that apple market thing, no matter what you have to spend more and more money on those apps to feed apple company, besides, those apps doesnt mean really practical by comparing some free ones. Anyway, my point is every kinda of cell phone has pros and cons, since you are android lovers, so dont complain too much about apples cons, vice versa, but try to have some faith in android.
    05-29-2010 11:20 PM
    My take [on the Nexus One]: it was the best Android phone yet, but it wasn’t better than the iPhone. Now I’m going to do the same type of review for the new HTC EVO 4G phone
    It was no point reading past this sentence.

He's not writing for "us", he's writing for his fanbase. iPhone fans will eat that article up and confirm to themselves that the iPhone is still the best ever and they'll feel great about it.
    05-29-2010 11:20 PM
    Just another Apple slanted review. Nothing to see here people.
    05-29-2010 11:21 PM

Leo Laporte of This Week in Tech (TWiT) is a pretty mellow and reasonable guy, Arrington set him off by questioning his credibility:
    I've started to listen to Laporte's Tech Guy podcasts lately and I really enjoy them. He really likes Facebook, too, heheh.
    05-29-2010 11:23 PM
    I have used the evo multiple times, there is no lag when scrolling between apps at all and the phone will last around 5 hours when 4g is turned on without a 4g signal, so he is literally lying about the battery. He claims that switching cameras takes too much effort. Ok, I know its difficult to just hit setting and then switch camera, I think because of those two clicks they should have just got rid of the whole front camera. The guy didn't like htc sense, aww too bad you can't turn it off..... o wait you can good thing the guy knew what he was talking about. Btw anyone who doesn't like sense is weird (no offense).

The author claims that the camera controls take up to a minute to load up. It takes a maximum of one to two seconds, so this article reads like a joke. He claims the photo taking software lags behind the iphones. I guess the author didn't see all the settings, like iso, white balance, contrast, metering, brightness etc.
    05-29-2010 11:26 PM
    This ***** iphone user has no business reviewing Android devices and discurage us from buying the EVO or any Android phone and should wait for his iphone HD and only go to apple sites. Now that being said, I am a current Blackberry and as much as I love my BB, I am buying the amazing device called the EVO and that idiotic review will not change my mind and no one else should be discourage. The EVO will be a good device. Also this ***** may have a beta "unfinished" product so of course he going to do a bad review and try to discourage others, he wants us to go to the iphone and it's not happening. So let's all try the EVO and not go by this *****.

I had the Hero for a week in November and the only issue I had was E-mails. Yes I had poor battery life but after help from a friend of mine who is also an Android user, in my last few days with the Hero, I was able to get 9-12 hours of decent battery life with Moderate use, maybe heavy if I use twitter, FB and everything else. So, let's look forward to Friday when we all get our EVO in our hands and all of us won't be dissapointed and will say that review was phoney.
    05-29-2010 11:30 PM
    The comment that it took a minute for the camera to start up just shows how insane this review is. After that I could not read any more. What an *****. Does he realize what an eternity a minute is when starting an app? *****.
    05-29-2010 11:44 PM
    I wonder if this guy gets a kick back from Apple and AT&T!!! HAHA what a joke this is, people like this guy will never EVER like another cell phone other than the great fruit phone they bow down to
    05-29-2010 11:48 PM
    Guy's obviously preaching to his fanboy choir giving them some talking points...

The other 99% of the reviews out there essentially say this guy's a liar.
    05-29-2010 11:59 PM
    Rebuttal. As a former iPhone evangelist I think I understand, if don't agree with all of it.

The 3G is truly amazing, and since it's more complete, it is tempting to ignore the 4G. I am in a 4G market, and I like it for the most part. I get 150ms pings and speeds of 1-3Mbps. I get 1mbps symmetrical on 3G so you can see how, unless you are downloading or sharing with friends there isn't much incentive to use 4G. Higher frequency means it likely has to work harder to transmit/recieve.

I have chargers and outlets in every room/vehicle so I can't speak to battery life. I would guess its around 6 hours depending on screen brightness. He is correct in saying that the "Android System" which I suspect is all the network enabled HTC components. I have killed twitter, FB, news, etc since I don't see a need for anything to poll so often. The iPhone is a feat in battery life, achieved through strict control of every aspect of the device, but this comes at a cost. So if we were comparing features, I would say battery life iPhone vs EVO is a wash. You can always buy a spare battery, and still be under the cost of an iPhone.

I can't speak much to idea of a screen being too big. Then again, I took to carrying a messenger bag when I got the first Kindle. I find that it makes my life easier all over. My pants are more comfortable without so many things in my pockets poking me. I also find that my devices don't get nearly as banged up with a bag. 4.3" is great for when you really have to do something and don't have a desktop. Video's aren't as ridiculous when you are sharing them, and there is less moving scrolling around when viewing busy webpages.

What he says about the camera software, must be a lie. I counted, and on a fresh boot I get camera controls in about two seconds. With the app not loaded, I have a photo taken within 4 seconds of clicking the camera icon. I can promise you that I never accomplished that with my iPhone 3Gs. As such I missed many many photos of opportunity. Truly enraging that is. The EVO controls do indeed fail to orient in portrait, but it is unnecessary as the shooting button is in a good spot, and the photos do orient in portrait if you take them as such. Photos can be taken at all degrees and the end result will be right side up. But, as I suggest carrying a bag, I suggest carrying a dedicated camera as well. It takes even longer to get a camera out of its case, booted, and shooting so you will agree that a decent photo is better than no photo.

The exterior stuff is true. I don't like the back cover, and I too fear the eventual damage of the rear cover. I pray that there are replacements available, or my fears are incorrect. It makes me wary of taking the back off on a regular basis. The kickstand is fine, and his friend almost breaking it makes me question the reviewers ability to RTFM. The power button is pretty damned stupid though. I find I need two hands often to press the button because there is no natural way to press it with one hand. Adding the ZAGG has made it even harder to press.

The 2.1 lag is in Sense from what I can tell. Using the Launcher.apk as default I seem to have stopped the scroll lag.

2.2, and may an AOSP ROM will make this device deadly. He is correct that HTC overdid the UI a little bit. From a fresh boot it feels like you are using someone elses phone with so many widgets and icons already spaced.

At day's end, this is all subjective, and the first day two hours I used the EVO I almost reached for my iPhone. Luckily I had already factory reset it for resale and was forced to learn the EVO. For those of you not new to Android, this won't be an issue. If Steve Jobs hadn't gone of the deep end with all the rules, I would still be suggesting iPhone's to all my beloved Luddites, but to all who know better, I think Android is the way to go. 2.2 will see some solid improvements that will only further the divide between the iPhone and EVO in terms of ability to get **** done, which in the end is what we all need. I especially love not needing an "app for that".

It is still a good review. We need such things to keep us honest. To say that you will be kicking yourself for buying this, time will tell. But this is as it is with all gadgets. I usually err on the side of caution when it comes to buying new tech, so as to avoid first revision flaws. It is very likely that the next 4G phone will have a faster, more efficient WiMax radio. I am also hopeful for a firmware update that improves upon this.
    05-30-2010 12:16 AM
    My take on this review is that he did have too many apps running and polling that yes things were lagging. But as everyone knows, you can't run hundreds of apps on any device at the same time and expect them to run right. I am so ready for Friday to be here so I can get my new phone. It will be awesome to have a real phone.
    05-30-2010 12:17 AM
    What's odd about the "review" is that it is so full out outlier points that run counter to even the most negative reviews seen so far. Battery life is still a question mark for the most part, but the comments about lag and slow performance are just crazy, especially since there are tons of videos all over the Intartoobz showing the EVO whipping from screen to screen.

What's ironic is that it's written from a perspective of an old media, on-dead-tree, review in which the ignorant reader would have to take the writer's word for it since how else could he be proven wrong? (This is why Dan Rather sacrificed his entire career and credibility in a suicide smear attack against Dubya in 2004. He didn't realize the audience immediately was finding out he was lying and had seen visual proof of the smear.) How TechCrunch could post a "review" filled with laughable errors that likely readers would immediately spot as being well out of the norm from what they've seen already is a serious lapse. Even Gizmodo, who are pretty big Apple whores, were more complementary. Wired, OTOH, were pretty sloppy and biased.

The comments prove my point re: educated readers. Here's one guy: "I've read dozens upon dozens of reviews on the Evo ... from TRUSTED media sources to random users who managed to get their hands on an Evo ... and I've yet to see a review nearly as biased as this one. To be honest, the majority of the reviews have said that the Evo is BETTER than the iPhone in MOST aspects, save for the fact that Apple will always dominate because of their huge Apps advantage."

Another quotes the power comments from C|Net's, Engadget's, and PC Magazine's reviews; this guy kills it on the fact that Apple fanchimps are so used to being told what they can have by Lord Jobs, they freak out when confronted with alternatives: "Well this article supports my theory of iPhone fanboys. You can't handle choice. You're so used to having no options, to never thinking, to never using your brain that having to make a decision based on your preferences is difficult for you. You don't have someone dictating how you should do and use things.

You complain about widgets being too big yet you fail to mention how there are over a dozen clock widgets of various sizes(not that you even have to use one) and several weather widgets of varying sizes. You have choices...if you don't like something, change it. You not liking the default doesn't make it bad, everyone isn't you(or Steve Jobs) and Android lets *anyone* make a phone theirs.

Combined with Arrington's constant shens - when you've got mild-mannered Leo LaPorte swearing at you, you've really sailed past the line - TC is bound to suffer as those looking for UNBIASED tech coverage will move on. But that's the beauty of the Internet: if you find someone is lying to you, truth is just a click away. Look what happened to Gamespot after the Kane & Lynch payola review fiasco. Does anyone even take them seriously anymore?
    05-30-2010 12:27 AM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD