Discuss Tips to Maximize Battery Life Here!

Saepak

May 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, that was a really good find. I will do things like that, but at first I will be playing so it won't matter. It will be okay for the first few days for me to keep it plugged in.

May 16, 2010
Visit site
What impact does HTC Sense have on the battery vs. stock Android? I'd imagine running that weather animation each time the phone is turned on isn't helping battery life.

turtle3#AC

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
He basically turned off all the eye candy and stuff. It's still pretty damn impressive though.

Agreed. It's an example of the "extreme" battery saving mode. I bet that terrible iPhone fanboy's review is the other end of the spectrum with tons and tons of widgets open.

I'm with skullsdontfade - I'll use his techniques and find my own mix of what I want running. Having some widgets running is part of the beauty of the phone...

At least we know what to do now when our batteries are dying earlier than we wished.

dwightshrute

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Wow, i'm even more excited!! I'll have no idea what I'm doing as this will be my 1st android phone, but I'll sure as hell have fun learning!

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
so in summary for me -

1. Turn off 4G and hotspot.
2. Turn screen brightness to low or medium. disables auto brightness.
3. Settings Wireless and Networks, Wi-Fi Settings, <menu button> Advanced, Wi-Fi sleep policy, Never.

i'm not sure about the 4G off. i live in a 4G market so i'm hoping i can leave it on. will have to test.

regarding the Gmail app, at this point i think i prefer it over K9 so will try to stick with the Gmail app.

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
so in summary for me -

1. Turn off 4G and hotspot.
2. Turn screen brightness to low or medium. disables auto brightness.
3. Settings Wireless and Networks, Wi-Fi Settings, <menu button> Advanced, Wi-Fi sleep policy, Never.

i'm not sure about the 4G off. i live in a 4G market so i'm hoping i can leave it on. will have to test.

regarding the Gmail app, at this point i think i prefer it over K9 so will try to stick with the Gmail app.

I heard that Wimax uses about the same amount of power as Wifi since they are the same. The problem though is signal strength which varies widely over a given area. Leaving it on all the time may kill battery.

stolirocks

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I heard that Wimax uses about the same amount of power as Wifi since they are the same. The problem though is signal strength which varies widely over a given area. Leaving it on all the time may kill battery.

Yes, why not just turn off wifi using the widget and then turn it on only when needed?

Genisis

May 27, 2010
Visit site
In his article he also said to use a task killer...which after reading an article about how task killer's do more damage then they do good. I've changed my perspective on. In my Evo i def will not be installing any type of task killers. But i will take some of what dude said into consideration. Good find!

dwhitman

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site

That doesn't sound right to me. WiFi and Wimax are very different. I strongly suspect that WiFi uses significantly less power than either Wimax or 3G.

WiFi is designed for short range, semi-permanent connections: it doesn't need much power because of the range assumption, and needs less "handshaking" communication to maintain the connection since both ends assume that the other is more-or-less staying put in one place.

OTOH, Wimax and 3G both use a remote tower, and need to assume that you're a moving target that might be driving from one tower's area to another. More power to connect to a remote receiver (this is a big effect - remember signal strength goes as r^2), and more communication needed for handshaking, even when you're not actively moving data.

dwhitman

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Author of that article also seems to believe that he is saving power by maximizing the number of black pixels on his screen.:rolleyes:

On a LCD.

*sigh*

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
That doesn't sound right to me. WiFi and Wimax are very different. I strongly suspect that WiFi uses significantly less power than either Wimax or 3G.

WiFi is designed for short range, semi-permanent connections: it doesn't need much power because of the range assumption, and needs less "handshaking" communication to maintain the connection since both ends assume that the other is more-or-less staying put in one place.

OTOH, Wimax and 3G both use a remote tower, and need to assume that you're a moving target that might be driving from one tower's area to another. More power to connect to a remote receiver (this is a big effect - remember signal strength goes as r^2), and more communication needed for handshaking, even when you're not actively moving data.

Let me clarify. They are similar, based on the 802.xx spec. LTE and 3G are not.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Yes, why not just turn off wifi using the widget and then turn it on only when needed?

we are talking about leaving WIMAX/4G on all the time since in theory you could use it "all the time". the big benefits of 4G is obviously the SPEED but also the simultaneous Voice+Data.

agreed on wifi to only turn it on when needed (if ever).

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
In his article he also said to use a task killer...which after reading an article about how task killer's do more damage then they do good. I've changed my perspective on. In my Evo i def will not be installing any type of task killers. But i will take some of what dude said into consideration. Good find!

agreed. i don't plan on using any task killers.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX