05-30-2010 11:34 PM
26 12
tools

Looking good! Too bad Gameloft has that stupid DRM! Grrr!
    05-30-2010 02:36 AM
    I want Need For Speed Shift.
    05-30-2010 02:44 AM
    Yeah...that did look good. The guy in the Video confirms a bit what I have been reading all around the interwebs, mostly Gameloft games run better on a Droid because of the PowerVR chip it uses. I am guessing it's because all those games came out for the iPhone first and it too uses a variant of the PowerVR, and Gameloft is just porting those games without doing any type of optimization. I hope there will be lots of other developers out there doing this type of caliber of games that don't have that stupid one time download that Gameloft has. There is no excuse for that.

When I saw the demo of NFS Shift, it looked smooth, hopefully we can buy that directly from the market and don't have to put up with the Gameloft DRM.
    05-30-2010 02:47 AM
    Coming from the Pre, these all look rather choppy. Pretty disappointing
    05-30-2010 03:06 AM
    Yeah the Pre does great looking and fast 3d games. Disappointed by Android games.
    05-30-2010 03:24 AM
    The only one that had a few frame rate issues was Nova. The others seemed about the same to me as on the Pre. Again, it's Gamelofts lazyness of just porting and not optimizing.
    05-30-2010 03:35 AM
    That was definitely much laggier than on the Pre. Seriously?
    05-30-2010 09:25 AM
    lagginess or not, i can't justify purchasing a gameloft game on android with their "one download" rule. i won't support that.
    05-30-2010 09:38 AM
    It's not that bad, but the Pre is still better. I hope that Froyo will improve it a bit.
    05-30-2010 09:45 AM
    It's not that bad, but the Pre is still better. I hope that Froyo will improve it a bit.
    does it have anything to do with froyo or is it gameloft?
    05-30-2010 10:30 AM
    Just downloaded and played a quick 9 holes of Lets Golf. 1 minor lag during the round. Otherwise, graphics and speed were spot on. $4.99.

I will agree, I think their method of distribution is lacking, especially since they do not have the same policies with Apple/WebOS games, but I have enjoyed Lets Golf on all the other platforms, so I wanted to give it a shot.

As for the rest, I will not purchase until they subscribe to the Android Market method of distribution.
    05-30-2010 10:45 AM
    does it have anything to do with froyo or is it gameloft?
    It has nothing to do with either. If you watch the whole video he explains it. Simply put, Snapdragon CPU phones (EVO, Nexus One, etc) have a slower graphics chip in them than the TI OMAP chips (Droid, Pre, iPhone 3GS, etc).

What this boils down to is, snapdragon phones will be faster at CPU processing (Browsing, regular apps, etc), while OMAP phones will be faster at GPU processing (mostly games).
    05-30-2010 10:48 AM
    @Vincent Law, Good Point I forgot about the OMAP chip.
    05-30-2010 11:57 AM
    I have a Pre with a few games and I have realized I never use them. Eats the battery WAY too much. I love the tech of being able to play PSone type games on a cell phone, but I think the battery tech ids still a year or so away to make it useful. Looking forward to using my new Evo to do CPU intensive stuff (mostly Browsing 95% of the time) with no lag.
    05-30-2010 12:57 PM
    There was a post on the different graphic cards on each high end phone respectively (palm pre, evo iphone etc.) We came to the conclusion that the graphic chipset on the snapdragon should handle all 3d games with no issues. The only issue the phone will have is if the developer does not optimize it for the phone. So the lag is an issue of programming on the developers end rather than the slow hardware. We also came to the conclusion that most of the games that are out now and that will continue to be produced in one years time will most likely not exceed the hardware limitations of the evo. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    05-30-2010 01:08 PM
    Sure the games could run faster, but that would have to be done by lower detail. The Snapdragon's GPU simply is slower than the OMAP's GPU. The real problem is, these games were developed first for the iPhone 3GS (an OMAP device), and thus they expect that level of GPU.
    05-30-2010 01:24 PM
    Snapdragon having a weak gpu is really bumming me out since I was spoiled by the games on my palm pre.... but imho there's gotta be something more to this, software optimization for snapdragon chipsets must be one of the issues since gameloft games were made for omap chipsets...

Plus, if snapdragon was so weak at gaming, why did WP7 require it for their hardware partners? It will be huge in its cross-platform gaming won't it?? Those games will be intense and I bet that they know that snapdragon can handle it
    05-30-2010 01:27 PM
    WP7 did not require the Snapdragon. OMAP was the lowest common denominator, although Snapdragon is accepted.
    05-30-2010 02:15 PM
    lagginess or not, i can't justify purchasing a gameloft game on android with their "one download" rule. i won't support that.
    seriously. what happens when I upgrade ? What happens if my phone break ?

Yeah, things happen. Waste of money. Fail on Gameloft.
    05-30-2010 03:56 PM
    IMO those guys ran and looked just as good as they did on my Pre. I play I played NFS and Assassins on the pre and honestly didnt see much difference in the vide
    05-30-2010 04:26 PM
    Snapdragon's 3D graphics capabilities aren't that impressive, unfortunately.
    05-30-2010 04:33 PM
    WP7 did not require the Snapdragon. OMAP was the lowest common denominator, although Snapdragon is accepted.
    i stand corrected. But still, microsoft with its strict hardware requirements would allow snapdragon because they know that it can handle what a graphically intense os can dish out including its revolutionary games rite?

Still, I have to see it personally to see how bad or so so it is... june 4 can't come soon enough lol

I would not be so surprised though after all the problems lately with winmo phones and qualcomm cpu's, they always cut corners somewhere...
    05-30-2010 04:34 PM
    agreed
    05-30-2010 04:35 PM
    Who cares, I don't have time for games so don't play games with me.
    05-30-2010 05:23 PM
    I have posted this before, but here's a comparison again.

Current Mobile GPUs: Triangles/sec, Fill Rate

PowerVR MBX-Lite (iPhone 3G): 1 M triangles/s, 100 M pixels/s
    Samsung S3C6410 (Omnia II): 4 M triangles/s, 125.6 M pixels/s
    PowerVR SGX 520 (Palm Pre): 14 M triangles/s, ___ M pixels/s
    ATI Imageon Z430 (Toshiba TG01): 22 M triangles/s, 133 M pixels/s
    PowerVR SGX 535 (iPhone 3GS): 28 M triangles/s, 400 M pixels/s

Future Mobile GPUs:

PowerVR SGX 540 (TI OMAP4): 35 M triangles/s, 1000 M pixels/s
    Nvidia Tegra APX2500 (Zune HD): 40 M triangles/s, 600 M pixels/s
    ATI Imageon _ (Qualcomm QSD8672): 80 M triangles/s, >500 M pixels/s

As a side-note, this means the iPhone 3GS' graphic chip may very well be faster than the Toshiba TG01's first-gen (QSD8250) Snapdragon. The next Snapdragon (QSD8672, the dual-core 45nm model in the new Smartbooks) has the latest GPU from the former ATI Imageon team (now part of Qualcomm), which demolishes the PowerVRs and Tegra. Unfortunately it probably won't be hitting phones for a while, so looks iPhone 3GS is top dog for now. Tegra's GPU is fast, but its slow ARM11 CPU will hold it back in general performance.

Looks like the Z430 is an OK GPU, it just pales in comparison to the iPhone 3GS fillrate. But with some optimizing, it should be good enough for most games. I wish they would have indicated what the fillrate on the Pres GPU was.

Oh, and for raw cpu power, the Snapdragon owns the current iPhone 3GS with 2100 mips compared to 1300 mips (million instructions per second)

Too bad the fill rate for the Pre version of the PowerVR is not known, that would make a great comparison. Anyhow, seems like the fillrate is the weakspot for the Snapdragons Z430 GPU with only 133 m pixels, the triangle count is right up there with the 3GS.

I still think it's mostly optimization. Unfortunately you couldn't really judge how good NFS Shift was running during the demo at the NYC event.
    05-30-2010 11:15 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD