Email FAQ and Q & A Thread

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Exchange FAQ:

Question:

My company has a web-based version of their email:

http://webmail.companyname.com/exchange

when I go to this webpage states ?Microsoft Outlook Web Access Provided by Microsoft Exchange Server 2003/2007.?

Can I use the above URL, and account information to configure the Incredible?s email client?

Answer:

The best option is to ask your Exchange administrator for the required parameters to configure the Exchange server settings. You will need the following information:

1.) Server address ? in the example above, this would be webmail.companyname.com. The preceding http:// and the appending /exchange are not necessary.
2.) Username ? typically the same username you use to login to OWA.
3.) Password ? the same username you use to login to OWA.
4.) Whether or not the server requires an encrypted SSL connection.
5.) Whether the server is configured to accept ActiveSync connections.

Question:

Does Android?s Exchange implementation provide true push functionality when connected to an Exchange account?

Answer:

Yes it does. There are options to push manually, at specific time intervals, or ?as items arrive?.

Question:

How many Exchange server accounts does the Incredible support via HTC?s email application?

Answer:

One. If you need to add additional Exchange server accounts, you can either use the IMAP option (does not provide real time syncing), or you can add a 3rd party application, such as Touchdown, for the 2nd Exchange account.

Question:

Are Exchange folders supported?

Answer:

Yes they are. However email notifications are only triggered when new emails arrive in the top-level inbox.

Question:

I would like to delete email messages on my phone without deleting them in the Inbox on my desktop Outlook. When I hit the "delete" option from my phone, however, the email is automatically moved to the "Deleted Items" folder on my desktop.

Is there a way to delete my old emails from my phone so they don't clog memory and clutter up my phone with emails I don't need anymore (some emails I do want to keep on my phone, however) without automatically deleting the same email from my Desktop Outlook?

Answer:

No. Because you are using Active Sync, the idea is that your email will always stay in sync, with your Exchange server, regardless of which Email client you are viewing from. This device has plenty of memory; I wouldn't worry about this being an issue. If you still want to control memory usage, you can go into settings and lower the Mail Size Limit, and whether to include file attachments in downloaded messages. Once you open a message you can download the rest of the message and attachments if you choose to do so.

Question:

Does the built in mail application support remote wipe?

Answer:

Remote wipe DOES work provided you are connecting to Exchange 2007 or higher. It does NOT work if you are connecting to Exchange 2003. [thanks alundre for confirming and testing this]

Question:

I'd rather not have to enter a password every time I unlock my phone, but apparently my Exchange ActiveSync mail account requires it.

Is there any way around this? What if I used a pattern lock app instead?

Answer:

When you connect your phone to an exchange server it will enforce certain security parameters on your phone that your exchange administrator has setup before hand, for example it might force you to use a password to unlock your phone every time you want to use it. There is an app out there that will, supposedly, disable this... it is called Lockpicker and here is a link to androidcentral about it; http://www.androidcentral.com/quick-app-lockpicker. (thanks jam4775)

Question:

Can the HTC email application move messages from the inbox to other folders?

Answer:

Yes. Press down on the message you would like to move, and then scroll to the Move To menu item.

Question:

How can I extract my Exchange server settings from Outlook?

Answer: Credit goes to jam4775.

Outlook Web Access (OWA), Active Sync, and Outlook Anywhere are all usually run off the same server. The easiest way for figure out the address to this server is if you know the address to OWA, which looks something like this; ?https://connect.domain.com/owa?. The part between the ?/? is what you need for the server address for Active Sync which is, ?connect.domain.com?, in this example.

If you don?t know the address to OWA, you can find the server address in Outlook if it is setup for Outlook Anywhere. To find this fallow these steps:
-In Outlook, go to Tools and then select Account Settings
-In the Account Settings window, select your exchange email account and the click on Change
-In the Change E-mail Account window, click on More Settings
-In the Microsoft Exchange window, select the Connection tab
-On the Connection tab, click on Exchange Proxy Settings
-In the Microsoft Exchange Proxy Settings window, the server address will be listed in the Connection settings field.

If you don?t know the address to OWA or your Outlook isn?t setup for Outlook Anywhere, then you will have to get the server address from your network administrator.

To figure out the domain? you actually have to use the domain name every time you log into you computer at work. Here are two ways to enter the domain when you log into your computer; ?DOMAIN\username?? or ?username@DOMAIN?. NOTE, your company could be using two different domain names for each way to log in, either one should work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
IMAP FAQ:

Question:

What is IMAP?

Answer:

See this article.

Question:

Does the built in mail application support IMAP?

Answer:

Yes. However, it does not support IMAP Idle (required for push notifications). There is a third party app in the market called K-9 which supports push for IMAP servers that support IDLE.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Gmail FAQ:

Question:

How do I mark all messages as read within Gmail?

Answer:

This feature is not available within the Android Gmail application.

Question:

In the Web based version of Google mail, I have the settings in "Accounts and Imports" to Check mail using POP3. And the "Send mail as" settings set to Reply from the same address the message was sent to". I would like this option within the Android Gmail application. Is there a setting to configure this?

Answer:

This feature is not available within the Android Gmail application.

Question:

I am having trouble syncing my Gmail. What should I do?

Answer:

There have been reports that syncing does not work properly with WiFi enabled. If WiFi is turned on, please turn it off. If you continue to experience problems, please post in this thread.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Former Blackberry User FAQ:

Question:

Does Android offer a unified Inbox ? similar to Blackberry?

Answer:

No it does not. This may seem disorienting and/or frustrating at first, but after continued use, most uses adjust without any problems.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Yahoo Mail FAQ:

Question:

How do I configure Yahoo Mail?

Answer:

If WiFi is turned on - turn it off before proceeding.

1. Open HTC mail application
2. Click Menu > More > New Account > Manual Setup

Incoming Server Settings:

3. Protocol = IMAP
4. Enter email address in email address filed (name@yahoo.com)
5. username= name@yahoo.com
6. password = yourpassword
7. IMAP server= imap.mail.yahoo.com
8. security type = none
9. server port = 143
10. Select NEXT

Outgoing Server Settings (11-13 should already be pre-configured from prior screen)

11. Login Required checkbox checked
12. username= name@yahoo.com
13. password = yourpassword
14. SMTP server = smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com
15. security type = None
16. server port = 587
17. Click next.

Account & User Name:

18. Account name = whatever you want
19. Your name = duh
20. click Finish Setup

*****Update on WiFi Access (thanks iman)***

When you add a new account, select IMAP under the protocol menu>enter your email>enter your user name which is your email>enter your password>for IMAP server enter: android.imap.mail.yahoo.com>security type is SSL>server port is 993

then hit next

for SMTP server enter android.smtp.mail.yahoo.com>security type will be SSL> server port will be 465

Now your email will sync even if wifi is on.

Last edited:

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
If you're question was not answered in one of the above FAQ's, please feel free to post in this thread.

If you question is answered, we will append it to one of the above posts.

If one of the above FAQ's is inaccurate, or no longer works, please let us know.

Last edited:

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I know I am going to have the same problem I have with the Pre's Email client with the Evo.
Hopefully the people here can be of greater help than Precentral.

Josh K

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I have seen in the forums that there are attachment issues with Gmail. I can not figure out from the posts what these issues are. Can someone elaborate?

zonyl

May 17, 2010
Visit site
First off: Thank you very much for singling out an Email Thread and found a lot of good info here already.

I will probably be amongst a swarm of Palm Pre users heading to the EVO June 4th and was wondering what the pro's / con's are from a Former WebOS (Synergy) user.

* These are just guesses I am making if someone would like to edit / confirm? *

Pro:
- Task sync is possible with third party app?
- ?

Con:
- No Unified Inbox? (I see from the BlackBerry section that is probably not going to work)
- Search only on local cached mail? WebOS only searches on Subject / Sender, does at least HTC mail search the body?
- No Multiple exchange accounts *without third-party app.
- No selecting send-from account while composing an email?
- ?

27scoob

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Anybody have any luck Logging into a Comcast account . I am stumped..

UPDATE .... I got it working used the following hope it helps .

address and username with (@comcast.net) following.

Incomming server settings
logon required
pop server: mail.comcast.net
security type: SSL
server port: 995

Outgoing server settings
username with (@comcast.net) following
SMTP server: smtp.comcast.net
Security type: SSL
Server port: 465

Cheers everyone !!!!!

Last edited:

jrpope11

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Been trying to get my EAS to connect all day. Says it won't connect to Exchange server. I'm using the same info I have always used on my Pre with no problems. Any one else able to connect to EAS?

anon(22913)

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Can I "mark all email as read" with my normal POP email account? My Home screen has the little "99+" above the email icon I'd like to get rid of. Thanks.

njfoses

May 31, 2010
Visit site
So i have exchange setup and im a little confused. Everything seems to be synced up fine except lets say i check my exchange email on my pc and delete messages from my inbox. When i go to my evo i still have notifications that i have unread mail and when i go to my inbox i have to manually refresh for those to now delete from my phone. I have it setup to sync as items arrive. Is this how it is supposed to work? Thanks.

Marco_NYC

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
anyone else having trouble sending a picture using Gmail after taking a picture? when i click on the share button after taking a photo the EVO says no mail account setup. i know as a work around i can go into gmail and attach the photo, but its just a pain this way.
Thanks in advance

sjg34

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
When emails are removed from the POP server by Outlook they remain on the phone. Is there a way to change this so I don’t have to manually delete the messages off the phone once they are removed from the server?