EVO Owner Reviews

Happy with your Evo?

• Total voters

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
This is the "official" I have an Evo and I love it or hate it - and why thread. Please don't ask questions about the device, just post your opinion after you actually have one in hand.

Thanks!

(I'll post my review sometime Friday...)

Last edited by a moderator:

ecaggiani

Feb 18, 2010
www.zazzle.com
I have it and I love it! There are a few minor nits I would like fixed, but nothing major. The biggest thing would be the SD card issues. After about a day or so, the SD card access becomes slow, requiring a reboot. And sometimes (rarely for me but I've seen it) the SD card can't be written to and gives an error when taking a picture, for example.

Apparently Sprint/HTC are aware of the issue, and the rumor is that it only affects the Google I/O phones, but not sure.

Anyway, this is hands down the best phone I've ever owned, used, or seen! The screen is gorgeous, and the phone is fast. EVO FTW!

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
I see a lot of people voting in the poll, don't be shy and please shy why or why not you do not like the device.

forceOnature

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I've come from Android phones that have suffered from lag (Samsung Moment and HTC G1) and other serious hardware issues (Moment) like radio lock ups and gps uselessness. The EVO has been great so far. As mentioned above, there are a few bugs to be worked out, but there is so much to love about the phone.

The Good:
It's fast! Only lag I've experienced is while installing apps.
Plenty of internal storage (important while no stock SD card app installation available)
Beautiful display
Multitouch screen works great
Takes very good still pictures
Better sound output quality than Ipod touch
Receive Froyo update soon
4G
Excellent phone functionality (audio, dialing)

The Bad:
Compression in 720p video capture
SD card faults
No track ball/pad - I've missed the ability to specifically place the text cursor when entering text. Until some app adds the ability to zoom in on what is under your finger in the text entry box, you'll need a bit of luck to put the cursor where you want.

ecaggiani

Feb 18, 2010
www.zazzle.com
No track ball/pad - I've missed the ability to specifically place the text cursor when entering text. Until some app adds the ability to zoom in on what is under your finger in the text entry box, you'll need a bit of luck to put the cursor where you want.

The built-in Evo keyboard has soft arrow key buttons for moving the cursor around, so that sort of replaces the need for the trackball. Of course, if you use a different keyboard, you're screwed ;-)

forceOnature

May 16, 2010
Visit site
The built-in Evo keyboard has soft arrow key buttons for moving the cursor around, so that sort of replaces the need for the trackball. Of course, if you use a different keyboard, you're screwed ;-)

I am using an alternative keyboard that does not have the arrow keys.

kellybrf

May 19, 2010
Visit site
the only issues i have are that i sometimes hit the search button when holding landscape (very minor issue, especially since it doesnt kick you out of what youre doing) and ive been getting some memory card errors with the camera. a soft reset fixes it, but its rather annoying at times. this thing is just incredibly, incredibly fast in everything it does

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
My FM reception is nill at home. Granted I am not close to any station, but any other receiver can tune to at least a dozen strong ones. I haven't tried it elsewhere yet. But really I couldn't care less about FM.

The SD card issues are not acceptable. I have had issues taking pictures, viewing videos and photos, and accessing music. I am putting in a different card to see if it is the card.

I wish the keyboard had the enter key in a more traditional place and a function key to do single numbers or symbols and auto return to letters. I also wish the arrow keys were arranged in a traditional keyboard manner. They are painfully slow to use the way that they are laid out.

Otherwise it rocks!

Wish I could turn off threaded gmail or at least delete individual messages not just the whole conversation, but that is an app thing.

DougB541#CB

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I mean you could just setup Gmail under the normal mail app unless you really need the labels function and everything.

I'm not up for my rebate until July 31st so hopefully the SD card issue is sorted out by then.

kellybrf

May 19, 2010
Visit site
i think there is a bad batch of sd cards. i popped in a spare 2gb and have had 0 issues for the past few days. its a bummer, but glad to see it appears to be an issue with sandisk and a quick fix rather than an update wed have to wait for.

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
i think there is a bad batch of sd cards. i popped in a spare 2gb and have had 0 issues for the past few days. its a bummer, but glad to see it appears to be an issue with sandisk and a quick fix rather than an update wed have to wait for.

I also put in an old 2gb and have no problems for 1.5 days. But recent article says they are working on an OTA update for it. We'll see what happens with a couple more days of use...

johnh1234

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I've had the sd card issues. The browser can be a little flaky- it can be tough to hit a link just right, and the text reflow isn't up to par with the iPhone. Battery life is so- so. The screen size is awesome. The phone isn't too big at all.

alvarezjpr

May 8, 2010
Visit site
My FM reception is nill at home. Granted I am not close to any station, but any other receiver can tune to at least a dozen strong ones. I haven't tried it elsewhere yet. But really I couldn't care less about FM.

I believe I read somewhere that the FM radio works only if wearing headphones. Why? Because they act as the antenna so you can get reception (I know, it sucks!). Try it to see if it works. I'm getting my Evo today and the FM radio was something I was kinda excited to see in a phone (call me old fashioned, whatever!). But if i have to wear headphones to listen to it, it is not that useful for me anymore. I don't carry my headphones with me most of the time. Hope this helps.

JoshH37#WN

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
A few quick impressions as I type this out on my evo. Screen is huge phone is not in my opinion. The screen takes up almost the entire front of the device leaving very little border. Keyboard is buttersmooth and the phone is lightning fast. More impressions later.oh i am coming from a pre and ampretty much sold already.

cheebahawk1

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Just got home with my new Evo, and completely floored by the design. I'm in love with the black slab, feel like I should get down and bow like the primitive man from Odyssey 2001.

I'm starting to wonder whether bloggers who reviewed the device were smoking crack, because the on/off switch is NOT hard to reach one handed (my hands are average size) and the "angle" does not make the button hard to find without looking at it.

I am impressed with the phone and will be spending the day happily playing with it.

Also Greater Philly area 4G connection seems to be spotty

ripcity00

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I believe I read somewhere that the FM radio works only if wearing headphones. Why? Because they act as the antenna so you can get reception (I know, it sucks!). Try it to see if it works. I'm getting my Evo today and the FM radio was something I was kinda excited to see in a phone (call me old fashioned, whatever!). But if i have to wear headphones to listen to it, it is not that useful for me anymore. I don't carry my headphones with me most of the time. Hope this helps.

Here is a partial solution if it works for the EVO the same way as the Incredible. Not very elegant, but at least you don't have to wear the headphones to listen. I wonder if some kind of adapter plugged in would do the same thing without using a headset.

YouTube - HTC Incredible Droid Tips and Tricks #1 - FM Radio Speaker - Power Button - 3G Widget

TheMobileWorx

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I am happy with my EVO, Sprint on the other hand. It took them 3.5 hours to fix the provisioning process for data. I was dead in the water for 2 hours of that. NOT fun.

But it was worth it, because the EVO is amazing.

robertpetry

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I didn't buy one yet, but I did play with one for half an hour at a Sprint store. My only real complaint was that scrolling wasn't as smooth as I would have liked and there seemed to be more lag in menus and such than I expected. I figured it might be due to the fact that it was a demo and was running a lot in the background. So I restarted the demo phone and it was better. But still a few little freezes in animations and scrolling.

Anyone else see that? I am comparing it to an iPhone. My Pre is a disaster in this department so there is no comparison there.

fonefanatic

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Have not tried to access the SD card but I did get the update as soon as the phone was activated so hoepfully I will not even see that problem. But other than that the phone is great!! Haven't had the opportunity to play around with it alot though I am at work and it has been hectic. I am sure I will find alot that I didn't know tonight

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox