Will the Evo take a 32gb sd card? Also explain what class 2, 6, etc mean??

Sincere_2010

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Is there a 32gb sd card? Also explain what class 2, 6, etc mean??

What is the biggest sd card I can find? And can someone explain what class 2, 6, etc mean. What is the best card I can find?

Last edited:

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Class specifies the minimum write speed for a card. The best explanation I've found is on Wikipedia. The biggest (and most expensive) is the 32GB Sandisk card, and is only available on their website, to my knowledge. I like this card.

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
The biggest SD card out there right now is a 32GB, that is if you can find one, and it's going for about $200 right now. The more realistic rout to go is a 16GB card and they are going for about $30 for a class 2 and about $60 for a class 6.

The class determines the speed of the card, the higher the class the higher the speed. There is debate whether it really makes that much difference if you go to a higher class or not and if it's worth the extra cost. I can't tell you from my experience whether it's worth it or not on android phones. I can say that I already purchased this card for my EVO Amazon.com: A-DATA 16 GB Class 6 microSDHC Flash Memory Card AUSDH16GCL6-RA1: Electronics

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Haha, I ordered the same 16GB card for my Evo as well. Makes me wonder what percentage of people on these forums will end up pairing the two together. By the looks of this thread, alot :p

Sincere_2010

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info guys. I really appreciate it. Can't believe a 32GB cost soo much. Guess I'll be going with a 16gb. I was hoping to get most of my music on the card.....uggghhhhh

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
We all have great minds apparently :) I only go with Amazon because I'm a Prime Member. Newegg has always done good by be too.

And yes, it's amazing how fast you can chew through 16GB. It will be nice when that 32 comes down in price.

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I also ordered a 16gb from Amazon, but I didn't go with the class 6. I decided for the price I didn't really need a faster card.

MOE-GUNZ

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Grab two 16gb cards and keep it moving :D

Buy one now, and another later. Still will be cheaper than buying a 32 and it equals out to the same amount :p

Genisis

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I ordered an 8gb class 6. From what i understand results my vary...but i will say this. When i rooted and put a custom rom on my g1 the class made a huge difference. Mainly because the rom i used required me to use app2sd. And i know with froyo 2.2 it will give you the option to store apps on your sd. So i would think that the faster the card...the better off you would be storing apps on it.

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site
SD (secure digital) and SDHC (secure digital high capacity) will both work fine with the Evo and most "newer" devices. The main difference between the two is primarily how the memory is addressed.

Think of it this way, if houses on my street only had a one digit number for their address, it would be possible to make 10 unique addresses. now say I have more than 10 houses on the street (analogous to blocks of memory), there is no way for me to uniquely call out any house beyond the first 10. But if I was to increase to a two digit number I would have 100 unique addresses and now I could fit a maximum of 100 hundred houses on my street. But now I have to make sure to tell the post office (analogous to a user device) that my street has moved to a two digit address system or else at best houses 10-99 would never get any mail, and at worst no one would get any mail because the post office sees something weird with the street numbers and refuses to deliver.

So most new devices have been programmed to understand both addressing systems so that they won't get confused either way.

Wynder

May 21, 2010
Visit site
I got the class 2 from Amazon for just under $30 and, while it took an extra minute or so to copy over all of my music from the PC, I see absolutely no difference when I play music or take video/photos.

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
The 32 GB cards will probably be out in mass by Christmas. They will also come down in price as time goes on, by this time next year they will probably be $40.

My only gripe with the Evo, spec wise as I don't have the device yet, is the SD card location. I REALLY wish they would have made it external so we could swap cards but I guess there was a reason. Maybe Android cannot handle that yet? I used to swap cards in my Treo all the time, it was GREAT!.

This is so minor though I can deal with it. Also with all the streaming available we don't have to keep as much on the cards these days as we used to. i:Di

I got a Class 2 16GB card waiting. I will be curious if a Class 6 will actually make any difference at all. I await the testing soon to come!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34