Has HTC acknowledged the poor video quality?

showmrock

May 25, 2010
Visit site
The video rec quality just looks ok but the sound quality is worse than the KIN.....the KIN!!!!! Why????? Maybe there will be some miracle of a chance that the official releases will not have these issues but has anyone heard anything official regarding this?

Setite

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Well its a phone :). The key is to record under unwindy conditions, or use your hand to block the wind. I imagine some cases could even help. When I record indoors the audio quality is fine. Well, its as bad as I expected.

skullsdontfade

May 16, 2010
Visit site
i was excited when i first heard "720p video recording". then i saw some recorded footage and was a little disappointed. but, afterall, it's a cellphone. in a few years, i'm sure photos and videos taken from phones will be fantastic. we're not there yet, and until then, i'm going to be satisfied. people can't expect to go out and shoot "planet earth" on their evo...

Runningwarrior08

May 23, 2010
Visit site
i was excited when i first heard "720p video recording". then i saw some recorded footage and was a little disappointed. but, afterall, it's a cellphone. in a few years, i'm sure photos and videos taken from phones will be fantastic. we're not there yet, and until then, i'm going to be satisfied. people can't expect to go out and shoot "planet earth" on their evo...

Awe, I was actually hoping to shoot the next 3D movie with it ;)

Honestly for me the camera is perfect, but then again I am the guy who only needs a camera to take pictures of things to sell online lol.

skullsdontfade

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Awe, I was actually hoping to shoot the next 3D movie with it ;)

Honestly for me the camera is perfect, but then again I am the guy who only needs a camera to take pictures of things to sell online lol.

exactly. no one should be using this as a substitute to a decent point and shoot or dslr. for me, it's for when i'm out and see something interesting and don't have a camera on me. for that, it's fine.

ataneja

May 13, 2010
Visit site
exactly. no one should be using this as a substitute to a decent point and shoot or dslr. for me, it's for when i'm out and see something interesting and don't have a camera on me. for that, it's fine.

I agree that it shouldn't substitute a full-fledged camcorder, ubut I thought at least as good or near the levels of a FlipHD or whatever it's called.

wphend00

May 17, 2010
Visit site
All I can say is that the new Iphone's video quality will probably blow these guys away, just like the Nokia N8 already does... so the trick will be to get Android working on those 2 handsets, for me...
Hopefully, the compression of the video is not being done on the chip, and if it is, perhaps it can be disabled, now that we have higher capacity SDHC cards available to us...

Fitz1015

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Chris5#WN

May 16, 2010
Visit site
The EVO actually looks more colorful to me in the videos, the sky in-particular, but the guy reporting seems darker in the EVO video on the flip side which is weird compared to the Incredible ...

Both are pixilated which is kinda annoying but thats compression for ya, def not crystal clear 720p thats for sure -

skullsdontfade

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I agree that it shouldn't substitute a full-fledged camcorder, ubut I thought at least as good or near the levels of a FlipHD or whatever it's called.

well, the FlipHD is a camcorder. it's meant to do its sole job better than a phone. i don't think i've seen any footage from a FlipHD so i don't know how the Evo compares to it.

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Guys, the high compression on the video is almost undoubtedly because of bandwidth issues. They can't make the video record at a bitrate higher than your SD card can take. And since the slowest SD card out there is a Class 2 (Which is what the EVO comes with), they have to target that.

ataneja

May 13, 2010
Visit site
well, the FlipHD is a camcorder. it's meant to do its sole job better than a phone. i don't think i've seen any footage from a FlipHD so i don't know how the Evo compares to it.

Fair point, but they are saying it is HD recording...which looks highly suspect. I haven't seen the quality on FlipHD either, I've just seen people complain...which is to be expected with a new phone...

Guys, the high compression on the video is almost undoubtedly because of bandwidth issues. They can't make the video record at a bitrate higher than your SD card can take. And since the slowest SD card out there is a Class 2 (Which is what the EVO comes with), they have to target that.

I would like this to be true (and thus alleviated with a Class-6 card)...anyone have any samples with a higher class?

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
ataneja: It likely will not matter if used with a higher class SD card. I don't think there's any way for the phone to know what class the SD card is without doing some sort of write benchmark test on it. Thus, to avoid problems for those using Class 2, they would have to assume all SD cards are Class 2.

ataneja

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Vincent Law: Do you think there could be an app to force it to recognize Class 6? Or is this likely more of a hardware limitation? Either way, minor gripe, the phone looks solid.

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have no idea if apps have the sort of access required to dictate to the hardware encoder what type of video they want out of it. It might be a limitation inside the hardware encoder as well. It's not a camera problem though (as the picture quality is fine, it's the compression for video that is the issue).

showmrock

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I understand it's a cellphone but so is the Palm Pre and it records a higher quality sound. Were talking about a year old device that was never suppose to shoot video....and the audio is satisfactory. From the vids I've seen online I feel like HTC has taken a step backwards and that's what concerns me. It's hard to get my point across because the only devices that had decent vid were the Iphone and Pre....so if you didn't come from those devices you probably will approve of the EVOs quality