Gaming on the Evo 4g

Paterick

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I am looking to switch from a Pre to the Evo 4G and was wondering how the 3D capabilities compare? Does the Evo 4G have good 3D gaming support?

jsimon9633

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
not really. Gaming is one of the things that hasnt picked up as much as some would like on android.

I believe some of it has to do with the quickly updated operating system which means game devs have to make considerable changes to their code everytime an upgrade happens and a game may not be compatible with all versions of android

secondly the restriction of only being able to install to system memory (which is fixed in froyo) restricts how big a game file can be. for example: some games on iphone are 500-600 or even 1gb of size. This is bigger than most internal memory for current android phones. (on average they may have 256, 512 and lately 1gb like the evo)

some game companies have expressed their intent to start making android games however so thats good news starting with gameloft, eamobile.

I also have a pre and ipod touch and the games on android are usually some generic knock offs now official games from the big game companies.

hope that helps

storino03

May 31, 2010
Visit site
It has some of the games the Pre has. Nova, Assassin's Creed, Asphalt 5, etc., but the performance isn't as good as on the Pre/Iphone because of the lack of optimization, gpu isn't as good as the cortex 8 chips in those phones

Rudementry

May 16, 2010
Visit site
not really. Gaming is one of the things that hasnt picked up as much as some would like on android.

I believe some of it has to do with the quickly updated operating system which means game devs have to make considerable changes to their code everytime an upgrade happens and a game may not be compatible with all versions of android

WebOS updates much faster than android, they also have a TON of 3D gaming. I really don't think this is an issue.

secondly the restriction of only being able to install to system memory (which is fixed in froyo) restricts how big a game file can be. for example: some games on iphone are 500-600 or even 1gb of size. This is bigger than most internal memory for current android phones. (on average they may have 256, 512 and lately 1gb like the evo)

Thats actually not entirely correct. For these types of 300MB+ files, a lot of the data is stored on the SD card (Textures, images, sounds), while a smaller 10-40MB file is in the internal memory.

jsimon9633

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I disagree that webos updates faster. the changes to webos are nowhere near the magnitude of the android changes from 1.5 to 1.6 to 2.0 to 2.1 and now 2.2

but anyway they are coming yes.

obviously iphone ecosystem has the current best games

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Everyone keeps saying that the gameloft 3d games look so much worse on android then on the pre, that's only partially true. Asphalt 5 ran ok on the pre and is just a bit choppier on the evo, the bigger screen might accentuate this. Nova has it's fluid moments and it's jerky moments on the pre as well, but the video I saw of it running on the pre doesn't look much worse at all. All the other games I saw running on the evo seem to run just fine. But yeah, I mostly blame lack of optimization for the evo since all those games were initially made to run on the powervr hardware of the iphone, a slower variant of which runs in the droid and pre. By doing a straight port, optimization and therefore performance is lacking since the evo uses an AMD Z430 graphics chip instead of a PowerVr.

Check out this thread, it contains a link to a ten minute video showing some 3d games on the evo.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...e-video-showing-new-3d-games-running-evo.html

storino03

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm def excited about the larger screen. Coming from a Pre, I hated how the controls took most of the screen with my fingers.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12