EVO OTA Update: Can I turn on my phone?

Saturn2K

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I heard rumors that the phone would automatically pull down and install any updates on its first power-on. At the Sprint store, I was afraid the techs there would install the update even if it asked. Being concerned, I took the phone home to activate it myself. Anyway, I just got home and my phone is still boxed up. Surely by now others have gotten their phones and turned them on. So, is it safe to turn it on and use it? Will I get the chance to not install the update even if this is the first time it's powered on?

tdwtomcat

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I turned my on, and used it for a while. Soon it asked me to update. I began downloading it and I was about to install when I decided to check this site first. Basically I have it sitting there in my notifications saying "tap to install update." I'm gonna wait though.

Tower72

Gigantic Member
Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
isnt there a cancel option you can click? I know when I turned mine on I hit No or Cancel and it didnt come back up again until I rebooted my phone

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Do the update. It fixes the memory card issue. You will just have to wait a bit for someone to re-root though. But worth it if you use your camera.