I Was Denied EVO Activation

Status
Not open for further replies.

No_Evo_4G_4Me

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I have an account with Sprint with 3 lines. All 3 are out of contract and were going to be upgraded this morning to EVOs. No stores local to me, including the Sprint store are selling the phone. I was told that the stores in Omaha, NE were selling the phones. I called and they agreed earlier this week to hold 3 phones for me at Radio Shack.

My brother and I found it odd that no stores local to us were selling the phone on the launch day. So we called Sprint CS last night to make sure that today when we go to pick up the phone we won't have any issues activating the phones. She assured us there would be absolutely no problems at all. This was great to hear because I would be driving 2 hours there and two hours back to pick up the phones.

I woke up and hit the road at 5AM to drive down to Omaha to pick up my phones. The store opened at 7. The Radio Shack service consultant spent about an hour and a half on the phone with Sprint CS trying to get our phones activated.

After the matter getting escalated several times and the CS reps trying everything they knew they put in a trouble ticket and said they would call us back shortly.

We ended up getting a call back after they found out that the EVO was not allowed to be activated on phone numbers from our area. It turns out that there are 6 affiliate market areas that will not be carrying the EVO and are restricting activations all together. So I ended up driving home empty handed and PO'd. The only resolution that Sprint CS gave us was to change our phone numbers that we have had for over 6 years to numbers from another area code.

It turns out this happened to a buddy of mine with the same area code and prefix in Louisville, Kentucky for school, when he tried to pick his up this morning.

CLIFF NOTES:
1. Called Sprint - Said I could get Evo
2. Drove 2 hours to get phone
3. Won't let me activate phones without changing my phone number

Does anybody have any ideas to help me get around this or fix this issue? I have been waiting patiently for 2 months for this phone, and even changed my plan already from an old plan to the new everything data plans.

Prkl8r

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I believe you are either from SD or Sioux City. I was dismayed to find out my local stores would not sell them either. I guess the reasoning is something to do with 4g signaling (even on 3g only towers). The corporate people were really cool about it, but there was nothing they could do. But...huzah!....I have a MPLS number so I will be able to upgrade. The downer is that I have to wait until the 17th as they couldn't bump my upgrade up any further.

Unfortunately, your only option is to switch.

DroidGnome

May 16, 2010
Visit site
If you do decide to switch numbers.. I highly recommend you try to beg/borrow/steal a Google Voice number. You can probably get one for your local area code (so it won't be Long distance for friends etc..).

That way you never have to worry about your 'real' phone number again, if you ever need to change it, just point your Google Voice number to the new one.

To get a Google Voice, find a friend who has it and has some invitations left (mine are gone sorry), or if you're a student with a valid .edu email address you can get one via: Google Voice for Students

You might also get lucky posting on HowardForums or even here perhaps in the appropriate forum (not sure if Android Central has one for GV invites).

Good luck.

No_Evo_4G_4Me

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I believe you are either from SD or Sioux City. I was dismayed to find out my local stores would not sell them either. I guess the reasoning is something to do with 4g signaling (even on 3g only towers). The corporate people were really cool about it, but there was nothing they could do. But...huzah!....I have a MPLS number so I will be able to upgrade. The downer is that I have to wait until the 17th as they couldn't bump my upgrade up any further.

Unfortunately, your only option is to switch.

Yup, Sioux City. It has nothing at all to do with the 4G coverage area. Omaha is a non 4G area and they sell the phone just fine. Our area is owned by a third party company called Swiftel. This is the company that is restricting the Evo on their portion of the network.

Omaha is a true corporate market and is able to sell the phone. I may just end up switching my number. But to me it is a very big deal to give up something so easily that you have had for so long. Especially over something I shouldn't have to give up in the first place.

htech

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Did you try Lincoln or was that the city that didn't have any phones at all?

I have an account with Sprint with 3 lines. All 3 are out of contract and were going to be upgraded this morning to EVOs. No stores local to me, including the Sprint store are selling the phone. I was told that the stores in Omaha, NE were selling the phones. I called and they agreed earlier this week to hold 3 phones for me at Radio Shack.

My brother and I found it odd that no stores local to us were selling the phone on the launch day. So we called Sprint CS last night to make sure that today when we go to pick up the phone we won't have any issues activating the phones. She assured us there would be absolutely no problems at all. This was great to hear because I would be driving 2 hours there and two hours back to pick up the phones.

I woke up and hit the road at 5AM to drive down to Omaha to pick up my phones. The store opened at 7. The Radio Shack service consultant spent about an hour and a half on the phone with Sprint CS trying to get our phones activated.

After the matter getting escalated several times and the CS reps trying everything they knew they put in a trouble ticket and said they would call us back shortly.

We ended up getting a call back after they found out that the EVO was not allowed to be activated on phone numbers from our area. It turns out that there are 6 affiliate market areas that will not be carrying the EVO and are restricting activations all together. So I ended up driving home empty handed and PO'd. The only resolution that Sprint CS gave us was to change our phone numbers that we have had for over 6 years to numbers from another area code.

It turns out this happened to a buddy of mine with the same area code and prefix in Louisville, Kentucky for school, when he tried to pick his up this morning.

CLIFF NOTES:
1. Called Sprint - Said I could get Evo
2. Drove 2 hours to get phone
3. Won't let me activate phones without changing my phone number

Does anybody have any ideas to help me get around this or fix this issue? I have been waiting patiently for 2 months for this phone, and even changed my plan already from an old plan to the new everything data plans.

No_Evo_4G_4Me

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
If you do decide to switch numbers.. I highly recommend you try to beg/borrow/steal a Google Voice number. You can probably get one for your local area code (so it won't be Long distance for friends etc..).

That way you never have to worry about your 'real' phone number again, if you ever need to change it, just point your Google Voice number to the new one.

To get a Google Voice, find a friend who has it and has some invitations left (mine are gone sorry), or if you're a student with a valid .edu email address you can get one via: Google Voice for Students

You might also get lucky posting on HowardForums or even here perhaps in the appropriate forum (not sure if Android Central has one for GV invites).

Good luck.

I have had a google voice number since the beta first opened up. I think this is what I may end up doing.

zhens

May 12, 2010
Visit site

I was there with him. Props to your buddy for keeping his cool. The RS employee went through the entire activation process of my phone while sitting on hold for your friend.

Prkl8r

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Yup, Sioux City. It has nothing at all to do with the 4G coverage area. Omaha is a non 4G area and they sell the phone just fine. Our area is owned by a third party company called Swiftel. This is the company that is restricting the Evo on their portion of the network.

Omaha is a true corporate market and is able to sell the phone. I may just end up switching my number. But to me it is a very big deal to give up something so easily that you have had for so long. Especially over something I shouldn't have to give up in the first place.

No it's not the 4G itself, it's a signal capability that non 4g towers that Sprint has are equipped with, that's how it was explained (by the Sprint Rep, so not much tech background). I assume that it has something to do with how they sell their data to Sprint or are compensated, because otherwise there is no reason not to sell this phone. The annoying thing is that the local sprint stores are designed to look like Sprint corporate stores, even though they are not, even the Sprint Rep was fooled by their information. The local BB people were pissed about it as well, since they can't sell them either.

I guess that's what we get for living in the middle of nowhere! But it could be worse...I could be in Sioux City :)

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.